GTK+2.8.0 released

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujjwal

Padawan
GTK+ 2.8.0 has been released. You can download it from here, and read the release notes here. GTK+ 2.8.0 depends on the Cairo vector graphics library for rendering most of the GTK+ widgets, bringing graphics capabilities as antialiased shapes, alpha blending, and gradients.

Source : OSNews

If anyone is planning to download and compile this anytime soon, do report on any speed changes due to the Cairo library.

sba

Journeyman
Oh neat!!! Now with Qt4 "as well" in line we might see more stable and rocking apps from developers :D

gauravnawani

Journeyman
Cairo inclusion finally also paves way for Cairo/Glitz at later stages in GNOME as complete composition manager. After that we have Luminocity getting ready for Metacity.

Three yay for GNOME Hackers. :)

ujjwal, There will be speed improvement but more importantly there will be even more eye candy. The default hack of composing the graphics like the primitives like rects and circles ET all on the widgets will get rendered in raster format, anti-aliased.

If I recall it correct the font too will be rendered with it, that will make them visually high quality and same level for every other library graphics.

I will probably wait if PCQ**** will distribute it, generally they are the ones will give good coverage to Linux stuff.

OP
U

ujjwal

Padawan
Actually I think the speed could get a little slower at first, as the cairo library isn't optimised (yet) and now is an added drawing layer. But yes with opengl acceleration it could be faster for those with cards supporting opengl under linux.

sba

Journeyman
gauravnawani said:
Its Gtk thread, Jerk!
I meant that this will a new addition and with QT4 in line we will have more good apps for Linux in general. How am I a jerk when I said this?

[EDIT]Oh looks like I could not make my point get across. Edited the original post accordingly :)[/EDIT]

sba

Journeyman
ujjwal said:
Actually I think the speed could get a little slower at first, as the cairo library isn't optimised (yet) and now is an added drawing layer. But yes with opengl acceleration it could be faster for those with cards supporting opengl under linux.
Actually Cairo library in CVS is showing good performance. I don't think there will be much performance drop if not increase.

Also I wanted to know whether Gnome 2.12 will be depending on GTK+ 2.8 or not? Last I checked they were still pondering over it and the majority was to keep the major functionality from 2.6, import a lil from 2.8 but ship 2.8 as well so that it can be tested a lot more. Now with next gnome release around 1 month away do you guys think they will use 2.8?

gauravnawani

Journeyman
sba said:
I meant that this will a new addition and with QT4 in line we will have more good apps for Linux in general. How am I a jerk when I said this?

[EDIT]Oh looks like I could not make my point get across. Edited the original post accordingly :)[/EDIT]

I thought you are again repeating why I normally come down on you. :|
Anyway that apart.

Gnome will be using GTK2.8, Its a GNOME release cycle, every 6 months there is increment of ver .2 in GTK.

This thread confirms that they will include 2.8 in to Gnome2.12
*mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2005-August/msg00054.html

sba

Journeyman
gauravnawani said:
Gnome will be using GTK2.8, Its a GNOME release cycle, every 6 months there is increment of ver .2 in GTK.
afaik the mandatory .2 increase is made to version number of GNOME only. It just happens that GTK's release usually conicides with a GNOME release or am I wrong?

neways, i really don't like what i m seeing. they are doing it again, a GNOME release depending on a new GTK release so close to its schedule. they did it last time with GTK+ 2.6 and they burned their hands. i hope it doesn't happen again...

gauravnawani

Journeyman
The GTK and GNOME are very fast developing softwares, the .2 is not coincidence, its actualy like this, every 'even' release of GTK is stable over its odd version(odd is where the new stuff goes). They have been in sync with the GNOME Foundation startup especially with the development of GTK2 from the ground up.

Infact GNOME is listed as project under GTK. Also most of the GTK developers are the main coders/controllers of GNOME project, so no surprises here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom