Graphics Cards related queries here.

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

p_d5010 said:
Hi,
There is a topic here for converting XFX 8600GT to 8600GTS:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64927&highlight=8600gt

How much safe is it to do this thing? I am buying xfx 8600gt this week and think to do this, but at the same time scared to do so....coz i think 8600gt has resistors,capacitors etc etc. of one specific voltage range and temperature range. Overclocking this way may get them damaged(if my logic is right).
But at the same time I want to get better framerates than the original card gives.
So please tell me what should i do........waiting is also an option for me.
My budget for gfx card remains fixed at 8k. Want to play Lost planet and crysis on my 19"lcd at descent details.
Also, how much would my AMD 3000+ (939pin) bottleneck the card?
One thing i can say for sure is that your processor will bottleneck the card at high resolutions beyond 1024*768.And the mod done on the XFX 8600 GT is only for experts and not the average person,least u might do anything wrong u would need a pci graphics card to reflash the bios of the card.The XFX 8600 GT uses good quality resistors and capacitors as XFX is a very good company/brand from pine international.

Pratyush

Broken In

does anyone know which site to refer for graphics card reviews?

p_d5010

Journeyman

Harvik780 said:
One thing i can say for sure is that your processor will bottleneck the card at high resolutions beyond 1024*768.And the mod done on the XFX 8600 GT is only for experts and not the average person,least u might do anything wrong u would need a pci graphics card to reflash the bios of the card.The XFX 8600 GT uses good quality resistors and capacitors as XFX is a very good company/brand from pine international.

Even if their quality is good, cant they be damaged if excess rating comes across it which is outside its normal range?

Stalker

Padawan

I've decided to get a 8800GTX...
Does the 8800GTX require 2 PCI-e power connectors??

well......initially i had decided to get the coolermaster extremepower 600W......but turns out, it has only 1 pci-e power connector.

Also i'm interested in the prices of Antec Trio 550W / 650W or the Corsair HX 620 in india...

thx

dr_jimit

Journeyman

Stalker said:
I've decided to get a 8800GTX...
Does the 8800GTX require 2 PCI-e power connectors??

well......initially i had decided to get the coolermaster extremepower 600W......but turns out, it has only 1 pci-e power connector.

Yes its true,
It needs 2 PCI-e connectors
as recommended by nVidia
Though it can run with 1, but will suffer performance losses,
I have a same problem as you,

i found few cooler master & Antec products, but they are too costly

COOLER MASTER Real power 850W = 15k
650 watts also there but dont know price

iGreen Power 600 W 8.5 k

Antec India Shops *www.antecindia.com/new/where.htm

Antek trio 550w = 6745 +tax
650W = 8480+tax

Please anyone here suggest some cheaper ones with 2 PCI-E 6 pin connectors with atleast 500W supply,

All these new things are delaying my new PC,

Please anyone tell me where can i buy the cheapest XFX 8800GTX 768Mb with warranty in mumbai ?
Thanks,
Dr. Jimit

Last edited:

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

xfx 8800GTX lacks something which makes the need for a costlier psu . i dont remember very well . wait till some1 who knows tells u abt this.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer

hey guys im getting a 8800gts 320mb does it also require 2 pcie pins or just one reply quickly guys or i might just buy the wrong psu

xbonez

NP : Crysis

has to be a typo. 8.5 kilowatt - i don't think it exists for home pcs

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart

entrana said:
hey guys im getting a 8800gts 320mb does it also require 2 pcie pins or just one reply quickly guys or i might just buy the wrong psu
Well i would like to warn u before u buy this card.It has a performance bug.According to this bug in all the cards of the 8800 series this card suffers the most.This bug makes the card run out of texture memory and hence the slowdown since it has only 320 mb of memory.My brother was going to buy directly from rashi peripherals but they were wise enough to warn us and make us go for the 640Mb version.Even if u buy this card make sure u do not turn the texture resolution to high/ultra.

And this card only requires one PCI express power connector.And requires a power supply of rating 26 AMP on the 12V rail.Recommended power supply of 600 watt with 83% efficiency.I recommend the coolermaster 600watt.

Last edited:

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

i think a fix will be released by sept . . and u can alt+tab out of the game to free ur texture mem. .but yes, there is a problem that has not been adressed by nvidia for a long time and many have even returned their 8800's i've read .

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

@dr_jimit
Zebronics Diamond series are SLI ready and has 2 6 pin PCIE connector.
Zebronics is the official partner on nvidia, and they make some of the world's most stable PSUs. Their Diamond series is as stable as Antec Neo or Corsair and a lil bit cheaper also.

CHIP once review their 730W PSU and they ran two high end card in SLI along with 4 HDD, 2 optical drives and max they cud have.
The 730W costs some 7~8k.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer

ok guys so any idea how much 640mb costs in calcutta

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart

entrana said:
ok guys so any idea how much 640mb costs in calcutta
Will cost around Rs 24,400(from XFX) including tax.

dr_jimit

Journeyman

xbonez said:
has to be a typo. 8.5 kilowatt - i don't think it exists for home pcs

IAM EXTREMELY SORRY IT WAS A TYPING MISTAKE, Its 850 Watts only, for 15.7 k

And if it was 8500W then it would give definitely shock for any one who uses it, :)

I have corrected it
It is shown on *www.theitwares.com/coolermaster/coolermaster.htm

and thanks Harvik780 ,
I found CM extreme Power 600 watts cheapest with 2 pcie connector.

BTW

2 X 8800 GTS 320MB in SLI > single 8800 GTX 768MB ??? or similar ? or worse ?

I found sone links

*www.tomshardware.com/forum/238917-33-advice-8800-8800
*www.hwupgrade.com/articles/video/13/the-nvidia-geforce-8800-gtx-and-gts-in-sli_index.html
*forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2082196
*forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=5526
*www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=335&type=expert&pid=6

Very interesting topic,

please see and Your comment....

Last edited:

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer

ok ok so i think its smarter to buy the 640mb as long as my dad will buy for me thanks for the heads up or i could have got the wrong stuff

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

dont worry , a fix will arrive for it in sept (tats wat i read ) , so go4 320mb if u're short on budget . if u can go4 640mb well and good. BTW , thats a gud reason to ask ur dad to get u the 640mb edition..if u're going to use this card for 2yrs , then buy a cheaper 7900GS and keep an eye on the g92 .. if u intend to upgrade sooner , then good and go4 8800.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer

umm ok now everyone is scaring the hell outta me some tell me to buy tihs or that and stuff im planning on getting vista ultimate guys so i think i shud go for 8800