Graphics Cards related queries here.

S

slash_89

Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

sagargv said:
@slash,well , he says that there aint any temp sensors , so if u're feeling it to be very hot. fit an extra fan.

ya but how do i fit a fan since the GPU is an IGP(integrated to the mainboard)
its an nvidia geforce 6150.

saurya_mishra

Broken In

Hello everybody.

I have a small problem regaurding my graphic card. I wish to buy a nVidia GeForce 7 series(7100GS) Graphic card. But the problem is that my MotherBorard - Intel D865GBF - has six PCI slots. The card requires PCIe slots. What do i do now? Can i mount the card on my PCI slots? Is there a PCi to PCIe adapter available?
Also, the card works with DDR2 RAM while I have DDR RAM 512 MB. So will it work? If Not please tell me which Graphic card sud i buy...

Thanking in Advance.
Saurya

darklord

Cyborg Agent

saurya_mishra said:
Hello everybody.

I have a small problem regaurding my graphic card. I wish to buy a nVidia GeForce 7 series(7100GS) Graphic card. But the problem is that my MotherBorard - Intel D865GBF - has six PCI slots. The card requires PCIe slots. What do i do now? Can i mount the card on my PCI slots? Is there a PCi to PCIe adapter available?
Also, the card works with DDR2 RAM while I have DDR RAM 512 MB. So will it work? If Not please tell me which Graphic card sud i buy...

Thanking in Advance.
Saurya
You will need a motherboard with PCIe slot.you cannot use PCIe card in PCI slot.You will need to buy AGP card or get a new mobo with PCIe slot

sagargv said:
@slash,well , he says that there aint any temp sensors , so if u're feeling it to be very hot. fit an extra fan.

will it get burnt ?? i dunno much abt that. but first errors u wud get are artifacts , irregular unwanted polygons and graphics errors while playing .

@darklord ,thanks.. very well . then i'll go for 8600GT once i can get it ( or some better ati if any...) . will my onboard support games on vista ?? the mobo site says it will run on 2.1 only in vista ??

Well excessive overheating of the chipset will mean that the mobo itself might die off.Although as long as you do not fiddle around with the heatsink n all,if it dies, there is warranty to get it repaired or replaced.

As for 8600GT, lots Mainstream 8 series cards previewed here,

Galaxy 8600GT,Galaxy 8500GT, Galaxy 8600GTS ;)

Also these cards are readily available now.Check the above link,all details are provided :)

Last edited:

kooabs03

Banned

i have a 1X,4X & 8X pci-e slot in my dell computer. which graphics cards can i use. also plz mention the price of those cards.

darklord

Cyborg Agent

kooabs03 said:
i have a 1X,4X & 8X pci-e slot in my dell computer. which graphics cards can i use. also plz mention the price of those cards.

If the slot is 16X but works are 8X speeds then you can use a normal PCIe card in it.Only it will work at 8X speed instead of 16X speed.

The link i have given has the prices clearly mentioned. :rolleyes:

kooabs03

Banned

darklord said:
If the slot is 16X but works are 8X speeds then you can use a normal PCIe card in it.Only it will work at 8X speed instead of 16X speed.

The link i have given has the prices clearly mentioned. :rolleyes:
nope the physical slot is 8X. how do i put a 16X pci-e into a 8X slot. also suggest a card around 3k-4k. 2nd hand card also acceptable.

darklord

Cyborg Agent

kooabs03 said:
nope the physical slot is 8X. how do i put a 16X pci-e into a 8X slot. also suggest a card around 3k-4k. 2nd hand card also acceptable.

I have seen 1X,4X &16X slots,havent seen an 8X one,could you post a pic or so ?
for 3-4k, 7300GT fits the bill,although its bit on the higher side,its worth it.;)

kooabs03

Banned

darklord said:
I have seen 1X,4X &16X slots,havent seen an 8X one,could you post a pic or so ?
for 3-4k, 7300GT fits the bill,although its bit on the higher side,its worth it.;)
here is the pic of 8X pci-e slot of my computer.
*i13.tinypic.com/2s6kd1u.jpg

*i17.tinypic.com/2lcqys8.jpg

the url *tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2h7ovw3
*tinypic.com/view.php?pic=3yn0tig

Last edited:

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

@slash , find the source of the prob , try putting that thermal paste(dunno if it is possible..) on the IGP , i had seen another guys mobo temp high coz the vendor had put a cutton cushion ! in between the mobo and the cabinet..
try running the rig without the cabinet . and yes , do a thourough cleaning , i have a presshot proccy , i cleaned the fan over the proccy with a ear bud for 5mins and temp reduced from 55 to 50 while idling and 61 to 56 while gaming... use a hairdrier if it has an option to switch off hot air(dont even think of doing with hot air..) if not use a table fan with max speed in front of cabinet..im sorry that im not solving ur prob , but i think thats all i know.
above all if nothings working , get ur vendor or a technician and ask him to check as he might have experience on this..

@surya_mishra
outta luck buddy , although gcard ram (GDDR)and ur mobo ram are unconnected ( a GDDR4 will work fine with a DDR1 ) , ur mobo doesnt have pcie , so no slot to put ur card , u have to go for agp ( higher price lower performance lower availability). u cant hope for mobo change without proccy change as pcie starts from 915..u have 865..

@kooabs03
i'm not very sure . But i feel u will have no probs . as u have x1 , x4 and x8 slots , one or the other will work . and dark lord assures me that there is no much performance diff between 16x and 4x . but dont use x1 , its slower than agp..conclusion: u wont have probs. but im not sure as aint any expert in this field . All the same i have seen quite a lot of guys using x4 especially those using asrock boards .and x8 are not extinct or anything like that .they are the running models in sli .

7300GT pile of junk in one yr . get 8500GT or wait for ati release ( may 14 ).
I think u can get dx10 cards if u slightly up ur budget.but dx9 cards will become a waste in one yr or one + half yr.

@voldemort
buddy , all sli boards use x8 + x8 . i dont think there are any boards with x16 + x16 . also some ati boards give x4 + x16 i heard. so x8 aint that uncommon.
u dint tell me anything abt my onboard sound...or shud that not be told in this section , i dont mind posting another topic..

this is wat i saw in tomsplace , maybe this is common knowledge , but i didnt know , so dont laugh at my post.
a board is allowed a total of x20 , most use x16 and four x1 pcie . sli boards use two x8 and four x1 pcie.now they are trying to break this limit..

ancientrites

In the zone

sagargv wrote ( i dont think there are any boards with x16 + x16 )

you are not aware of the current mobos by asus,gigabyte, ecs etc bro mine is asus p5n32-sli deluxe mobo pal that gives full x32. of course only when you place two graphic card like 8800gtx or 7900gtx it will go on to be sli.

saurya_mishra

Broken In

ok so if i cant put the nvidia Geforce 7 cards on PCI slots, thell me some cards that work with pci slots (not pcie). will these have hypermemory or turbochache technology? please help me.

saurya

ancientrites

In the zone

saurya_mishra said:
ok so if i cant put the nvidia Geforce 7 cards on PCI slots, thell me some cards that work with pci slots (not pcie). will these have hypermemory or turbochache technology? please help me.

saurya

i am confused what you say:confused:. agp graphic card will fit on agp slot and pcie graphic card will fit on pcie slot

saurya_mishra

Broken In

ancientrites said:
i am confused what you say:confused:. agp graphic card will fit on agp slot and pcie graphic card will fit on pcie slot

what i want to ask is simple. agp card will work with agp slot allright, but isnt there a graphic card 4 PCI slots? and please give me some recomendations for a AGP graphic card,

thnx

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

thanks for the info ancient rites...
@surya , see if u can find 6200 ( i think it has TC model also..)

thanks for the info ancient rites...
@surya , see if u can find 6200 ( i think it has TC model also..)
if u're looking for agp , u can get upto 7 seires , dont think tey'll release 8xxx on agp , but u can get 7 series in agp . i have heard of 7600GT agp models also.
but you'l find pci harder to find . if u got agp slot , go for agp.

Last edited:

saurya_mishra

Broken In

@ sagarv and darklod,
thanks, i will try to find out a 7 series ... i wil also try to find a pcie to agp bridge chip ... ATi had released one some time bak didnt it ...

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE

The motherboard which have 3 PCI-E slots with 2 of identical colors & the 3rd one with the different color is X8(for Physics card).the other 2 slots are X16.The slot that shown in the picture of DELL machine,i saw it almost 18 months back when a grahics card(the video card used by the professional movie makers & absolutely useless for gaming)was this slot.I m not sure that u will be able to use a PCI-E card but take ypur chances but on the other hand it is a PCI-E slot the last part will remain empty when u put a PCI-E card.

The X32 was even in the Socket 939+ actually first X32 was AKAIK was ASUS A8N32SLI Deluxe which one of my friend owns for last 16 months.
The only drawback of the motherboard is if someone put 2X7950GX2 on the board it will give X8+X8,not X16+X16,rest of all cards will run inX32 mode.The board is still a no.1 & a legend in 939 socket,after this MSI K8N diamond plus holds the record.

kooabs03

Banned

keith. thnx for the reply, but all three pci-e slots are black in colour. the white one is PCI slot. plz tell me which graphics card can i use in the slots(i mean physically inserting)

Top Bottom