Graphics Cards related queries here.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

There are not many decent performing cards are available in your range. You will find lots of 1 GB cards like HD5450, HD4570 or Nvidia GT 220 etc, but don't get fooled. They will not offer any performance.

Better increase your budget to 3.9k and get a
Sapphire HD4670 512MB GDDR3 Artic Accelero @ 3.9k.

It is a great card and can play most of the current games in decent settings. If you are playing in a 19" LCD (1440X900), then it is best budget card available.

By the way also let us know what PSU or SMPS you are currently having?
i saw some people complaining about sapphire 4670 the other day in another forum
the op's card (in that thread) fans werent working
and posting quite high temps and bsods
turns out the sapphire 4670 cards are defective(dunno about arctic accelerator though)
better to be safe and get a powercolor or msi 4670 512mb ddr3
haven't come across any thread with problems regarding probs with msi or powercolor 4670:)

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

updated the status of palit gtx 460 sonic platinum(the vrm heatsink engineering sample fiasco)
from guru3d
check this out guys
Updated Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum results
apparently the card without heatsink wouldn't be a scorcher or too loud

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ thanks for the update - 79c is just too much - thinking what will happen in the summer season :p

GTX 460 from evga is far more better IMO as it's runs a lot cooler and it has a damn sexy look as well :p - any news about the availability and price in here ??

Most vendors in here are only interested in keeping hot products only for eg. Zotac and palit GTX 460 - may be they are stocking these - predicting this years winter season would be a very cold one and so we will need these to maintain the heat in our pc cabinets and in the room as well and someone may be mod these to use them as water heater/coffe maker as well:p

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

^^^^
no evga for us in the near future
yes i thought the temps are still too high for palit(for just a few fps more)
i would choose a marginally slower but cooler card from any other company with my eyes closed anyday
i have a nagging suspicion that palit must have bribed or threatened guru3d with legal action if they dont post favorable reviews
its surprising that this news didnt make it to tomshardware

the dealers here(damn them) are only interested in keeping cards which offer a good profit margin
no quality products

as you said it
one should only buy palit card if they dont have money to buy a room heater!!:-D:-D

p.s.
yes 79c is too much
may be the poor card had contracted influenza that day:-D

girish_b

Journeyman

There are not many decent performing cards are available in your range. You will find lots of 1 GB cards like HD5450, HD4570 or Nvidia GT 220 etc, but don't get fooled. They will not offer any performance.

Better increase your budget to 3.9k and get a
Sapphire HD4670 512MB GDDR3 Artic Accelero @ 3.9k.

It is a great card and can play most of the current games in decent settings. If you are playing in a 19" LCD (1440X900), then it is best budget card available.

By the way also let us know what PSU or SMPS you are currently having?

I have coolermaster Ep pro 600, powering e8400 on a p5q deluxe. my gfx card was a palit hd 4850 sonic, but it got fried. and All I see is 1 inch thick red lines on the screen with a lof of $ signs and red letters. I was working without a UPS. :(

I just want one card before I get something better than 4850, say a 5770.

Or should I go for a second hand one untill I get hold of one of them bad boys?

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

someone may be mod these to use them as water heater/coffe maker as well:p

:lol:

I have coolermaster Ep pro 600, powering e8400 on a p5q deluxe. my gfx card was a palit hd 4850 sonic, but it got fried. and All I see is 1 inch thick red lines on the screen with a lof of $ signs and red letters. I was working without a UPS. :(

I just want one card before I get something better than 4850, say a 5770.

Or should I go for a second hand one untill I get hold of one of them bad boys?

want know why your card fried? it got a spike from your faulty PSU (World Famous CM Extreme Power). so before you get another card & get it fried as well, change that PSU. if you want continue, please take it at your own risk & don't blame us if the 2nd card end up with same fate as first one. not only that. spike can damage the proccy also. frying it. & HDDs & DVD RW are most common victim.

girish_b

Journeyman

:lol:

want know why your card fried? it got a spike from your faulty PSU (World Famous CM Extreme Power). so before you get another card & get it fried as well, change that PSU. if you want continue, please take it at your own risk & don't blame us if the 2nd card end up with same fate as first one. not only that. spike can damage the proccy also. frying it. & HDDs & DVD RW are most common victim.

to think about, my dvd rw once gone faulty too. And which psu would u recommend if i go for a 5770?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

@girish_b, FSP Saga II 400W or Gigabyte 460W is bare minimum. get FSP Saga II 500W, Corsair CX400 or VX450W to be safe. & keeping your rig upgradable.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...

Friends, I hv decided to buy a new PSU at last.
Keeping an eye to the future,it will be 550W at least.

I have two options : Cooler Master GX550 @ 4.7k

or Corsair VX550W @ 5.1k.

Which one shud I choose?

The original thread

Nvidia GTX 460 Discussion

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

@girish_b, if you get 2 of those cards. else VX450 is more than enough.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^^^
no evga for us in the near future
yes i thought the temps are still too high for palit(for just a few fps more)
i would choose a marginally slower but cooler card from any other company with my eyes closed anyday
i have a nagging suspicion that palit must have bribed or threatened guru3d with legal action if they dont post favorable reviews
its surprising that this news didnt make it to tomshardware

the dealers here(damn them) are only interested in keeping cards which offer a good profit margin
no quality products

as you said it
one should only buy palit card if they dont have money to buy a room heater!!:-D:-D

p.s.
yes 79c is too much
may be the poor card had contracted influenza that day:-D

^^ Nice one :p

yep - I'm also thinking why they are praising the card that much even after it has serious temp issue and to add more too it though Zotac has high temp but it's well below than those sonic heaters :p

Seems like only option is left for a GTX 460 is MSI and Gigabyte and if all of them are unavailable then Zotac.

Friends, I hv decided to buy a new PSU at last.
Keeping an eye to the future,it will be 550W at least.

I have two options : Cooler Master GX550 @ 4.7k

or Corsair VX550W @ 5.1k.

Which one shud I choose?

The original thread

Nvidia GTX 460 Discussion

@ mukherjee - one friendly note : don't post same query in three different threads - it's seems like spamming and violates the forum rule as well. Post in any one thread and you'll get an answer for sure :cool:

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...

@ mukherjee - one friendly note : don't post same query in three different threads - it's seems like spamming and violates the forum rule as well. Post in any one thread and you'll get an answer for sure :cool:

Yes,I'll keep that in mind.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ are you asking this to girish_b - if yes, well may be he is planning to CF 2x HD 5770 :p

vk_dragon

Right off the assembly line

Can GTA 4 or Street fighter 4 be played on intel GMA 3100 onboard graphics (intel DG31PR motherboard) with 2GB of system ram on windows 7 with aero disabled ?
My processor is intel core 2 quad (2.4 GHz) . I have a graphics card (8600 GT 512MB) which has serious overheating issues . I am not planning to buy another one .
I just wanted to know whether i can play the above games (min. graphics settings obviously) without the gpu .

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

^^ will GTA4 run on GMA3100? its way too old & slow. even GMA X4500 have difficulty running the game.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
No harm trying it. But he should read reviews before purchasing the disc.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Though OP's cpu is good GTA IV requires nvidia 7900 or ATI x1900 as the minimum requirement.

Now for SF4 the minimum requirement is nVidia 6600 or ATI x1600.

BTW, I don't think these games will run on OP's rig - he have to add a gfx card to play these games anyway.

Top Bottom