graphic card problem[new ati sapphire 9200]

Status
Not open for further replies.

rk

Broken In
friends ,
i have a compaq pc [evod380mx],which has intel 845g mobo and 512 mb ram,from sometime the screen ws showing random lines ,so an engineer checked it and told onboard graphic card has problems, so better add a new agp card,
hence 2 days ago i went to pc market [in lucknow]and told shopkeeper that i want a good agp card[ i don't had much experience in this line],
he contacted some shopkeepers and said now market is of pcie cards so agp are hard to find and then gave me
this card in box=
"Ati sapphire radeon 9200 ddr agp 128 mb" card for Rs 1700,
i thought it is costly but he said it is latest and now a days it is hard to find agp & so on.
But when i attached it to my pc [xp detected it and installed drivers]but after reboot xp gaved bsod,
so rbooted in safemode and removed xp drivers and installed driver from cd but again bsod,
i searched in internet and tried many drivers but all are giving bsod.So what can be done?

Secondly on net i found this card is very old andwill not suoort directx9, so does the vendor cheated by giving this card for 1700/-,
should this card be given back and changed for some other card?
some ppl told me ,these cards also came in same price range=
ati radeon 128mb 9550
nvidia geforce 5200
" 6200
should any of these cards can be taken & what will be their genuine cost.

thx for any help.

Last edited:

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
Return this card.....thats ages old........ i don have much knowledge on agp cards...... but then someone wil definitely give in some recent cards.....
in my city i saw a x300 agp for 1900

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Ati 9200 is very old card. Its even older GPU than FX 5200[but better].
U can get a 6200 AGP 256 for 2k. Its far better than 9200 with sm 1.4.
6200 has Sm 3.0. If u can increase ur budget, u can get HD 2400 AGP for 3~3.5k. Its Dx 10 ready and is far better than 6200 nd has somewhat the performance of 8400GS or better.

Its ur golden chance to exchange that 9200, thnx god for BSOD. u can't even play any new games even at lowest possible seting with that card.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
9200 is 4 yrs old. if u get the chance , change .

have u isolated ur problem to the onboard gfx ? are u sure that the problem aint due to the monitor itself ?
try using ur onboard 845 with a different monitor.

if indeed the onboard gfx is at fault , u can go4 geforce 6200 or fx 5200 . i think u're not interested in gaming. so ne1 will do.

u dint get cheated in the sense that he asked 1700 INR for it. . its quite the minimmum price for any card. .but the card may be defective ...thats a different issue. . if possible change to the above mentioned cards.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
ATI HD 2400 comes in AGP version.... ATI still manufactures AGP cards. And HD 38xx are also going to be launched in AGP.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
the op is not a gamer ( judging by the config and usage of onboard gfx till now ). so y recommend hd 2400 ? isnt it better to choose the cheaper 6200 or fx5200 ?

Ambar

aka. ViKiD?
ya i chkd...most newer ati cards are also available in agp...sheesh..tht they phased out agp..:D

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
the op is not a gamer ( judging by the config and usage of onboard gfx till now ). so y recommend hd 2400 ? isnt it better to choose the cheaper 6200 or fx5200 ?

Still the choice is open to open........ at the end he wil chose whether the card comes in his budget or not n finally if he wants that card or not.... No harm intended

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
ofcorse , its his choice .. wat i'm trying to say is , when he aint a gamer , y sped some extra bucks on 2400 ? ah , unless ofcorse he intends to watch hd. . yes yes. . i had missed that out.

OP
R

rk

Broken In
thx everyone for reply,& yes i am not much into gaming[also monitor is ok,got it checked],
i am thinking to take gforce 5200 or 6200 in exchange,
so if shopkeeper asks for more money [for above agp],how much more should i settle for[Rs 1700/- already given]?

also if shopkeeper has only atiproducts ,then which ati card to take [don't want to cross budget of around 2000/-]
thanks

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
nvidia is more popular in india . its quite likely that he'll have nvidia products . if he has ati only , get radeon x300 or any radeon 9xxx within ur budget will also do.

( but i wonder whether it'll work on ur pc , bsod problem .. .. maybe u have only winxp , try formatting ur hdd and installing win xp sp2 . . . do this even if u already have winxp sp2 . just give it a shot . i insist that u format once ).

that shopkeeper seems to have a lot antique products , so y not ask him for a new intel 845 mobo , i think that will also cost about 2k ..

for either x300, 6200 or 5200 or new intel 845 mobo , dont give more than 2k . fx 5200 - 1.7k and 6200 - 1.9k
that was the last time i enquired with my vendor...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom