Graphic Card Overclock List and Discussion

sharang.d

Youngling
AMD Radeon HD 7870 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2500K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V PRO score: P6987 3DMarks
Stock volts

EDIT:
Wow I can actually feel the difference with the overclock while playing BF3 :D

Will do more later :)

Last edited:

sharang.d

Youngling
Figured later :p
Nice @ +27% OC :D
Did you increase the voltage?
Also is the 12.8 driver update recommended? I just updated :p

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
From what I experience so far, 12.8 actually decreasing performance on my card. The previous beta was better.

sharang.d

Youngling
Oops. Anyway I always keep the latest drivers so...
Here's my latest overclock: AMD Radeon HD 7870 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2500K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V PRO score: P7186 3DMarks

Last edited:
OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@topgear.no it can easily hit 1050 without unlocking core clock. what i had read from overclockers.uk forum is, many card has different default volt settings. some has 1.08v, some has 1.13 volt and has 1.21v volt as default. my card is 1.13v as default.
@the_conqueror. what tool are u using? i had msi ab. goto settings->general,under compatibility properties check unlock voltage control and unlock voltage monitor and press ok.

I know most of the HD7850s can hit 1050 Mhz with stock volts but I've talked this about the Sapphire HD7850 the_conqueror has which max OC limit is 1000 Mhz and can't be unlocked - well I may be wrong about this unlock thing but in some reveiews that some HD7850s can't be unlocked :
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC Review - Page 3 - Under the Hood & Overclocking

and the_conqueror can try Sapphire TriXX and see if it allows him to change volt options.

From what I experience so far, 12.8 actually decreasing performance on my card. The previous beta was better.

actually compared to the 11.12 every 12 series drivers has performance degradation.

@ sumonpathak and sharang.d - guys do me a little favor and confront to the thread rules and I'll list your OCs.

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
^^ I never had a chance of using AMD/ATI cards before so never used 11 series drivers. This 7950 of mine is the first one I'm using. Have been NV fanboy since 2002.
But for me 12.8 is giving increased performance over 12.6 or 12.7 in a lot of games like MP3, BF3, Skyrim, Witcher2, ME3, etc. to list a few. I did not compare benchmark results though.

@topgear - Can you please think about below rules and consider them for this thread. (3DMark hall of fame requires these)

1. Lucidlogix VirtuMVP must be disabled while running any benchmarks.
2. Use publically available hardware. Engineering samples or unreleased components not allowed.
3. Nvidia PhysX must run on CPU.

sharang.d

Youngling

I wasn't submitting my overclock. Just wanted comments/discussion(Like it states in the thread name) on it.
I will submit in the proper format soon :)

@topgear - Can you please think about below rules and consider them for this thread. (3DMark hall of fame requires these)

Good one

Question: What kind of performance do core and memory clocks increase respectively?

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
In earlier days you would have seen greater benefits with VRAM overclocking. but nowadays all high end cards come with 256bit or 384bit VRAMs which have very high bandwidth along with higer capacities of 2GB or 3GB. So overclocking the memory on these cards only benefits you when you are using muli-monitor system wherein this much of bandhwidth is actually being used. For 1080p resolution gaming it doesn't matter although it can have benificial effects when using full screen AA.
The case for GPU core is different. By overclocking the GPU you'll see higher FPS in games as it will benefit shader calculations. Benchmark scores will improve with GPU overclock vastly compared to memory overclock.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door

2. Use publically available hardware. Engineering samples or unreleased components not allowed.
+1..although driver policy should be laxed..future-mark is very lazy in approving drivers...12.7 is not approved...

sharang.d

Youngling
In earlier days you would have seen greater benefits with VRAM overclocking. but nowadays all high end cards come with 256bit or 384bit VRAMs which have very high bandwidth along with higer capacities of 2GB or 3GB. So overclocking the memory on these cards only benefits you when you are using muli-monitor system wherein this much of bandhwidth is actually being used. For 1080p resolution gaming it doesn't matter although it can have benificial effects when using full screen AA.
The case for GPU core is different. By overclocking the GPU you'll see higher FPS in games as it will benefit shader calculations. Benchmark scores will improve with GPU overclock vastly compared to memory overclock.

Thanks for the info. Will put it to use :p

Here's my latest:
3D Mark Score
GPU-Z Info
Power setting:
*i.imgur.com/O7M4t.png
Tested with 3DMark 11 and Unigine Heaven 3.0
Will keep this as default setting for a few days and check with games and stuff.

IndianRambo

In the zone
^^ dude, take screen shot of your benchmark score along with gpu-z .

voltage is bit high, btm what temperature are u getting while playing games.IMO always apply overclock after boot.

Last edited:

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
Final OC of HD7950 without changing Voltages

I said I won't do further OC but could not stop myself. Didn't tinker with voltages still though :p

This time kept GPU at 1000 and OCed the memory to 1500 MHz. Tested the current overclock by running 3 iterations of each of Unigine Heaven, 3DMark Vantage and 3DMark 11. System was stable without any artifacts. GPU temp was hovering around 66 degrees with "Manual" fan set to 70%. Temp was at 60 degrees while running 3DMark11.

Tested On -
CPU - Core i5 3570k @ 4.2 GHz
Cooler - CM Hyper 212 Evo
Mobo - Asus Maximus V Gene
RAM - G.Skill Sniper 8GB Kit (F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR) 1600MHz running @ 9-8-8-22 - MemTweakIt Validation
SSD - Corsair Force 3 Series 60GB
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB

GPU Info -
GPU : Radeon HD7950
Manufacturer and Model Name : ASUS HD7950 Direct CUII 3GB

GPU Stock Speed : 800 MHz
GPU Overclocked Speed : 1000 MHz
GPU Core Volt : Stock

vRam Type : DDR5
vRam Stock Speed : 1250 MHz
vRam OCed Speed : 1500 MHz
vRam Volt : Stock

Cooler : Stock (Direct CUII)
Bios Version : Stock
Software Used for OC : Asus GPU Tweak

GPUZ Validation

Attaching screenshot of 3DMark 11 Scores as well

*lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Vu2HIhH-9xI/UDOOCobATcI/AAAAAAAAEXg/zVSvrR_0rQ0/s1152/ocverclock_tdf_3.jpg

*lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3OvetZnn4ms/UDOOE7aNLLI/AAAAAAAAEXo/WqNd-jMj-0I/s1152/ocverclock_tdf_4.jpg

sharang.d

Youngling
^^ dude, take screen shot of your benchmark score along with gpu-z .

voltage is bit high, btm what temperature are u getting while playing games.IMO always apply overclock after boot.
Okay, next time.
Benchmark apps were crashing on lower voltage :(
I'm getting max 70 degrees..
Anyway I think it's an unstable OC since I left comp on for torrents and went out.Came back after 2 hours and display was gone :p
Had to reset..
I'm confused now.
How did u get such high clocks btw? Completely stable?
How much do u think I can OC to? How much VDDC?

Is my PSU by any chance not being able to provide sufficient power?
My PSU model is Seasonic S12II 620W

@mandar
Impressive OC on stock volts man. Is it completely stable? Is your CPU overclocked?

Am I the only one who can't get a good OC in here?

Last edited:
OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ i think you need to crank up the gpu voltage to the maximum limit ( but this very risky IMO ) and your PSu is good enough to handle a ~4.5 Ghz OCed 2500k and a OCed HD7870.

^^ I never had a chance of using AMD/ATI cards before so never used 11 series drivers. This 7950 of mine is the first one I'm using. Have been NV fanboy since 2002.
But for me 12.8 is giving increased performance over 12.6 or 12.7 in a lot of games like MP3, BF3, Skyrim, Witcher2, ME3, etc. to list a few. I did not compare benchmark results though.

+1..although driver policy should be laxed..future-mark is very lazy in approving drivers...12.7 is not approved...

nice suggestions but they are better suited for 3DMark Benhchmark thread ;-)

Top Bottom