GPU temperature too high!!

rahulmax

Broken In
Hey guys, i have a zotac gtx 560 ti reference card, the temp. while gaming goes too high for my liking.

Room temp -35c-38c
Cpu temp on load -61c :-D (thanks to hyper 212 evo)
Gpu temp on load -92c :x

My cable management is not that great, but still 92 is too much when playing call of duty mw2.
please help!!!!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
GPU temp is fine but proccy temperature is way too high. under load + Hyper 212 should be in mid 50s.

OP
R

rahulmax

Broken In
^^ are you sure? gpu temp is fine?
i know cpu is a bit high considering hyper 212 but the temp are going nuts in delhi right now.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get the same temps with i5-2500K + Hyper 212 Evo + Delhi. :p

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
GPU load temp is high considering the ambient temp - re TIM the gpu if possible with some good TiM.

dibya_kol

In the zone
i am also getting the same load temp in kolkata. Gpu temp seems a bit high for me, it is safe for gpu though.
Clean dusts and if possible left ur side cover open.

Saaby

Broken In
the cpu temp. also seems a bit high, considering it is with aftermarket cooler. check for thermal paste or cpu fan speed issues.
In the case of GPU, i think this kind of heating is normal, especially for Fermi (GTX560Ti draws 170W).

Last edited:

yashthedude

Gonna rock da whole world
If u not did something then while playing BF3 ur card will get boom!! :evil:

I think you shud ask the customer care of Nvidia GPU's.

They must have any idea about it.

dibya_kol

In the zone
^^ can't get that !!

the cpu temp. also seems a bit high, considering it is with aftermarket cooler. check for thermal paste or cpu fan speed issues.
In the case of GPU, i think this kind of heating is normal, especially for Fermi (GTX560Ti draws 170W).

For high ambiant temp, he is getting high cpu temp.

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
CPU temp is fine with Hyper 212 EVO. I get 60-65C max in my city having ambient temperature of 46C . The Intel CPU can easily withstand temperatures upto 90C, so it's still within acceptable limits.

GPU temp seems high, try using thermal paste like Noctua DH1 or Antec Diamond 7 and you'll see at least 6-8C difference in your GPU load temp. Tried and tested with over 3 GPU's.

OP
R

rahulmax

Broken In
GPU temp seems high, try using thermal paste like Noctua DH1 or Antec Diamond 7 and you'll see at least 6-8C difference in your GPU load temp. Tried and tested with over 3 GPU's.

I have absolutely no experience in replacing GPU thermal paste. I have a feeling that i will ruin the card if i open it up(bad experience with my 8500gt).

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
Well, I checked the layout of Zotac 560 ti and it seems same as of MSI 560ti TFII.

1) ZOTAC GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1 GB Review | techPowerUp

2) MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1 GB Review | techPowerUp

On MSI card, i unscrewed the 4 screws with the help of a small screwdriver and twisted the heatsink a little to take out the cooler from card. It takes a bit of effort to pull the heatsink for first time ( I was worried too ), but once you've done it. Clean the grease with Rubbing Alcohol or Laptop cleaner (good one) and a good cloth. Once you've managed to take off the thermal grease , use microfiber cloth ( if available ) to wipe out all traces of thermal grease.

Then, use any good thermal paste like Antec Diamond 6 or Arctic Silver 5 ( whichever is cheaper ) and spread it even and thin on the GPU chip and gently place the heatsink above it, and you're done.

Though it'll help you reduce temp a bit, there's actually no risk involved. But you've to do it carefully. It's your call ! :D

OP
R

rahulmax

Broken In
On MSI card, i unscrewed the 4 screws with the help of a small screwdriver and twisted the heatsink a little to take out the cooler from card. It takes a bit of effort to pull the heatsink for first time ( I was worried too ), but once you've done it. Clean the grease with Rubbing Alcohol or Laptop cleaner (good one) and a good cloth. Once you've managed to take off the thermal grease , use microfiber cloth ( if available ) to wipe out all traces of thermal grease.

Then, use any good thermal paste like Antec Diamond 6 or Arctic Silver 5 ( whichever is cheaper ) and spread it even and thin on the GPU chip and gently place the heatsink above it, and you're done.

Though it'll help you reduce temp a bit, there's actually no risk involved. But you've to do it carefully. It's your call ! :D

Thanks, it has motivated me :p I think i am gonna try it out.

what about the vram and other things? do i need to touch anything else?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
getting water cooling Kits ( even after market air coolers ) ain't easy here but getting TiM is more easier these days - but with the increase of gpu usage and Ocing ( and summer heat too ) more and more after market gpu coolers might be available in a few years for sure ;-)

Thanks, it has motivated me :p I think i am gonna try it out.

what about the vram and other things? do i need to touch anything else?

after proper cleaning ( as said by ashis_lakra ) just apply a pea sized thermal paste on the gpu chip only - no need to fiddle with vram or other things but just make sure they don't have dust - if you are unsure how to do it watch a couple of youtube vids for better understanding.