GPU NEWS Channel

Krow

Crowman
@ asigh Get a Lian Li man. Since you can afford it, get it. Its just too good. You may ask The Sorceror or visit the show off section of TE forums.

paroh

Padawan
XFX Nvidia GTX 260 power connection required

please tell what power connector is required as my smps has only one 6pin connector for PCI-E card.

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
^Use a molex to PCI-e 6pin converter and you should be fine. Its available at any local computer store. Which SMPS?

paroh

Padawan
As on the site the specification for the power requirement is as follows can u please clear 2*6 pin connector or one 8 pin connector do i need both 8 pin connector and 2*6 pin power connector

As my smps have 1 pci-e (6pin power connector ) and one EPS 12V (8 pin conenctor)

Power Requirements:
Non-SLI: 630W Minimum Power Supply
SLI: 680W Minimum Power Supply
2 x 6-Pin Power Connector
One 8-Pin Power Connector

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
I doubt that spec seriously. Do one thing. send damngoodman999 a PM and ask him about the connectors. That's BS about the non SLI needing 630W of power. Even an overclocked i7 rig does not consume that much. A PSU like CM Real Power Pro 460W can handle GTX260 easily.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
Link me to the site that says you need 8 pin as well as six pinx2 for GTX260.
Posted again:
Link me to the site that says you need 8 pin as well as six pinx2 for GTX260.

*www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3334

The GTX 260 consumes a maximum of 183W and only needs two 6-pin power connectors
Please answer my query, which PSU do you have?

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^Share that with me :D. I hopin' Crytek gives more attention to PC 'cause it's more powerful than consoles with DX11, I guess. It should be like this, PC to console, rather than console to PC. Crytek, I have high hopes on ye. Cevat!

Do not know what path Crytek is going. If Crysis 2 is a lame port, it will be a shame. The creators of Fry Cry doing this. Heck, they revolutionized the PC gaming world. And now they jump the console band wagon. Praying its a good port.

@ asigh Get a Lian Li man. Since you can afford it, get it. Its just too good. You may ask The Sorceror or visit the show off section of TE forums.

Yea, I read Sorcerers review of the same. It is really nice. Will decide which full-ATX. I love the huge fan of the HAF 932.

XFX Nvidia GTX 260 power connection required

please tell what power connector is required as my smps has only one 6pin connector for PCI-E card.

You will need 2xPCI.E 6 PIN connectors.
*www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2008/07/21202211209s.jpg

Though that is a yummy looking card.

^Use a molex to PCI-e 6pin converter and you should be fine. Its available at any local computer store. Which SMPS?

Yea, use something like this.
*t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:euv9O893MNh5fM:*images.virtualvillage.com/006410-028/001.jpg

Connect each of the white connectors to a separate line on your PSU. Keep them closest to the PSU.

Though as Mr. Krow asked, which PSU you have.

************************************************************************************************
HAS THIS THREAD NOT TAKEN THE FLAVOR OF "All Graphics Cards related queries here.
" FROM THE HARDWARE SECTION.
************************************************************************************************

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
And offtopic: How will you sale your rig?? I'm interested to sell my CPU and GPU a few months later, let me know if you have any sources.

I will probably open it for sale, first here on ThinkDigit. With preference to members from NCR, if that does not work, then all are welcome. Techenclave is a nice place also, to sell stuff.

I will prefer to sell the whole rig, and not piece-by-piece. But lets see what happens. Will retain my 2 HDDs.

If I have to sell it piece-by-piece, will give a special offer for the GPUs. Taking them both - single buyer, will enable a discount. :)

tkin

Back to school!!
I will probably open it for sale, first here on ThinkDigit. With preference to members from NCR, if that does not work, then all are welcome. Techenclave is a nice place also, to sell stuff.

I will prefer to sell the whole rig, and not piece-by-piece. But lets see what happens. Will retain my 2 HDDs.

If I have to sell it piece-by-piece, will give a special offer for the GPUs. Taking them both - single buyer, will enable a discount. :)
Ok, got it, one last query, how do you receive payment? I mean is there any guarantee or something, I clearly remember that last year some digit member was screwed in a deal, he didn't receive payment or something like that, in an online deal buyers need to place order first but since I'm no shop, I doubt anyone will deposit money, and theres also warranty claims and stuff.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
If it is based here on Digit..I guess it will be basic trust. The buyer will send me an EFT, I will courier the stuff, if in NCR we can meet personally, and I hand over the hardware.

tkin

Back to school!!
^^
If it is based here on Digit..I guess it will be basic trust. The buyer will send me an EFT, I will courier the stuff, if in NCR we can meet personally, and I hand over the hardware.
OK, got it, thanks for the info :goodjob:, I guess I'll try the same too :doublethumb:

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
RADEON HD 5950 WILL NOT BE A STANDARD AMD PRODUCT

We recently reported about the two-chip video card radeon HD 5950 . Associate assumed that this video card will be released in the first quarter 2010.

Our personal sources explained, that the release of such two-chip experimental solutions from the commercial side were disadvantageous: above some level , expenditures for development are many and AMD deprives the released video chip from a guarantee. Associates assert that Radeon HD 5950 will not be a standard product, and its release can be charged to some important AMD partners.

*xtreview.com/

So it's true, AMD indeed is going dual-chip instead of dual GPU......

paroh

Padawan
@asigh can u clear this thing that my smps has only one PCi-E power connector. will the card 260GTX works with only one connector.

And the second thing on some site there is two molex is used to create a single PCI-E 6 power connector and on some site they use only one molex to create a single PCI-E 6 power connector.

Can u please clear this dout

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Post number #347 will tell you how to create the 2nd connector.

If you have a good PSU, say a Corsair/Tagan/Silverstone, then you can use the one molex to PCI.E 6 pin converter, else use the type I have mentioned in #347.

Your gtx for sure will need both power inputs.

tkin

Back to school!!
AMD to launch Mobile Radeon 58x0 at CES

AMD has already started production of its Mobility Radeon 58x0 series and if all went well they are producing all three chips as of November.

The launch date will coincide with notebook launches and at least some of the notebooks to launch at CES will feature ATI's 40nm DirectX 11 graphics.

The date is January 7th and at press time we don’t know if AMD plans to show one or all three chips. Let me refresh your memory. Park is the codename for entry level, mid-range is codenamed Madison (Name of a New York avenue, not Jensen's daughter. Ed.) and performance / high end chip codenamed Broadway.

We can only suspect that Alienware might be the one to launch a super gaming notebook but let's not disregard many Taiwanese and US notebook manufactures who are crying for some attention in the high end gaming notebook segment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*www.fudzilla.com/images/stories/2009/November/General%20News/redwood.jpg

Images of what is supposedly ATI's low-end Redwood DirectX 11 have popped up on Hardforum.com.

The HD 5670 apparently has 400 shaders, 16 ROPs, a fillrate of 103.3 GTexels/s and 64GB/s of bandwidth. It sports 1GB of GDDR5 memory on a 128-bit bus. The memory is clocked at 1000MHz (4000MHz effective), while the 40nm GPU ticks at 775MHz. Please take the spec with a grain of salt, as we are still unable to confirm it.

The card itself looks quite compact and the copper cooler is somewhat reminiscent of ThermalTake designs. We are still not sure about pricing or availability, but we're expecting a sub-$100 MSRP and an early Q1 launch, just in time to make Nvidia's life a bit harder.

Meet the new HD 5770

*www.fudzilla.com/images/stories/2009/November/General%20News/sapphire_hd5770new_1.jpg

*www.fudzilla.com/images/stories/2009/November/General%20News/sapphire_hd5770new_2.jpg

AMD cuts costs

AMD is apparently cutting costs, and MSI's HD 5770 isn't going to be the only HD 5770 with a cooler similar to the HD 5750. According to our info every AMD AIB partner will have a similar card, and Sapphire has already silently announced its own.

The cooler on HD 5750 is apparently enough for the HD 5770 as well and after all it should be cheaper than the original blower fan. This isn't a non-reference in house design as it comes directly from AMD, and we are sure that we'll see the real non-reference cards sooner than later. As a matter of fact, the shroud is the only similarity with the HD 5750 cooler, while the heatsink under it is changed.

Sapphire calls its card the Sapphire HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE "New Edition" and other than the new cooler the card keeps the reference clocks of 850MHz for the core and 4800MHz for 1GB of GDDR5 memory.

The surprise is that MSI decided to change this design a bit and went for its Seaweed fan which should provide higher airflow and keep the noise down.

GPU-Z 0.3.8 now available

*www.fudzilla.com/images/stories/2009/November/General%20News/gpuz_0.3.8.png

The latest version of the utility now includes added sensors to monitor GPU load percentages on Nvidia GeForce desktop and mobile cards, adds sensors for ATI M86, fixes several NVAPI crashes, fixes crashes when PhysX is not available, and fixes “DLL not found” startup issues in Windows 2000. In addition, the application can now be set to run “always on top” of other windows.

At the same time, W1zzard has also included a useful feature to render the vast amount of GPU information displayed by this utility more accessible to other areas of the world. As of GPU-Z release 0.3.8, a framework for translations has been added to enable future multi-language support. However, it is important to note that such a task can only be made possible by independent user contributions to the framework. The team behind the utility respectfully hopes to see GPU-Z users contribute to the utility.

GPU-Z 0.3.8 can be downloaded here.

tkin

Back to school!!
40nm ATI / Nvidia shortage to last whole Q1 10

*www.fudzilla.com/images/stories/Logos/y_wafer.jpg

TSMC 40nm is still immature

TSMC's 40nm process maturity can simply be described as disastrously bad. According to our sources, yields are currently at around 50 percent, which is catastrophic for a 'mature' and more than a year old process. One could say that TSMC is really immature about its 40 nm yields.

At this time, TSMC should be at 90 percent + yields, but this is simply not happening. The worst part is that nothing will change in early 2010. The shortage will last throughout Q1 2010 and both ATI’s RV870 and Nvidia’s Fermi will be heavily affected to their die size and complexity.

Things might start getting better in Q2 2010, but this means that you might have to wait all the way to April 2010 if not later to get more than a single 40nm card sitting on the store shelve for more than a day.

Right now a search for HD5870, HD5850 and HD5970 yields 0 results in new-egg.
*www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList...0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=hd+5870&x=0&y=0
*www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=hd+5850
*www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=hd+5970
Even OC'ed cards are gone.
So be sure availability will decrease in India too, thank god most Indian users play games over Intel, nVidia 8600GT and the likes.
Posted again:
Nvidia volume Fermi shipping late Q1

*www.fudzilla.com/images/stories/Logos/geforce.jpg

January for samples

In January, Nvidia should have the final samples and a limited number of Fermi Geforce GT300 chips, but the launch might take place later.

If pushed, Nvidia might launch Fermi Geforce in late January as the final chips should be there by then, but real volume shipments should start towards end of Q1 2010.

The most realistic availability date is March 2010, and again only if everything goes right. Judging by our previous information, Nvidia delayed its plans by more than one, if not two quarters.

This is rather unpleasant for Nvidia and the only thing that really keeps Nvidia sane is the fact that ATI also suffers from massive shortages of its 40nm RV870 based chips.

Acer readying beastly DirectX 11 notebook

*www.fudzilla.com/images/stories/Logos/acer.gif

Core i7 and Mobility HD 5850 in 18.4 inches

We were expecting to see the first mobile Evergreens in an Alienware or something, but Acer seems bent on establishing a presence in the insane high-end market.

We're not huge fans of gaming notebooks and we would buy this one in a million years, but we have to respect the sheer lunacy of the Aspire 8942G-728G1280TWN. Powered by a Core i7-720QM at 1.6GHz, it packs 8GB of DDR3, two 640GB hard drives and Blu-ray to boot. It features an 18.4-inch LED display in 1980x1080 and then we come to its piece de resistance, AMD's Mobile Radeon HD5850 with 1GB of GDDR5. Basically, this is the first notebook with DirectX 11 graphics, and pretty good graphics at that.

In terms of connectivity, you get pretty much everything you could ask for on such a device, 4 USB 2.0 slots, 802.11 abgn, Bluetooth, ExpressCard, HDMI, 5-in-1 card reader and a host of other goodies. Of course, all this nonsense comes at a price in sheer size. With an 8-cell battery, the DX11 Aspire weighs 4.6kg, almost as much as two average 15-inchers.

Sadly we still don't know the exact price or availability date, but we're guessing it will appear in early January.

Courtesy- *www.fudzilla.com/

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Acer's 18.4" core+dx11 is the most tempting. let's see if this finally bridges the gap between desktop and laptop in power!!

tkin

Back to school!!
Acer's 18.4" core+dx11 is the most tempting. let's see if this finally bridges the gap between desktop and laptop in power!!
Nah, never, the battery will burn away faster than a cigarette, the mobile GPU will be crippled, so will the CPU be while the prices will be 20-40% higher than equal desktop parts, thats why laptops never attract me(not even alienware, eve if I had the money).

Top Bottom