GPU Buy for my relatively old gaming PC

1manshow

Journeyman
1. What is the intended use for this graphic card ? Gaming or workstation work? (Name few Games or applications are you going to run)
Ans: Mainly for workstation, but I would like to play few games like Civilization 5+, and most latest games at decent enough settings on 1080p.

2. Which Power Supply do you have? (Be EXACT while naming the company and model)
Ans: Seasonic SS-850AT Active PFC F3 - 850W

3. What is your Max budget ?
Ans: 15-30k, max at 35-40k. As I said, my main intent is for smoother gameplay and workstation uses. Occasional gamer, not a hardcore gamer as I don't get much time.

4. Which Screen resolution will you game at (if applicable)?
Ans: 1080p as my monitor's max is that. My monitor is Asus PA238Q if that matters to mention it.

5. What are your current computer specifications ?
Ans: AMD Phenom II X6 1090t black edition six-core CPU, Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 Motherboard, 16 GB HyperX fury RAM dual channel, Coolermaster HyperX Evo CPU cooler, 120 GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x3TB Seagate Barracuda 3000 GB, Lots of fans installed in Gamma NZXT gaming case. I just saw after posting that I had my PC specs in my signature, just leaving these details as some are more recent here e.g RAM and HDD details.

Thanks in advance for your help. Want to buy asap and would prefer legit online buy sites as I'm in Ujjain where not many retail shops offer good GPUs.

quicky008

Technomancer
For 35k,you can upgrade your cpu, mobo and ram easily.

You should do that first before you attempt to upgrade your gpu,else it won't be worthwhile.

If you still want to buy a gpu right away, then the gtx 1660 ti would be a good choice in your budget.

If you really need some GPU for your current build, look for used 1050Ti, RX470/480/570. Not much point spending big money on a 30k GPU unless you plan to upgrade CPU+mobo+RAM soon as well. Your CPU is weak by today's standards like even an R3 1200 is a bit better than it. R5 & i5 CPUs are far superior, almost 2x more powerful or more. Still, an RX570 will pair up decently for some 1080p gaming with that X6.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Could he not get a 1660Ti in his budget and that works with 1080p gaming with future hardware upgrades too?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Could he not get a 1660Ti in his budget and that works with 1080p gaming with future hardware upgrades too?
We don't know after how much time he'll upgrade other major components. He might feel bad if the GPU suggested here doesn't performs normally as it should (because of CPU bottleneck).

If OP is willing to upgrade in a few months, yes, 1660Ti is a great choice for 1080p gaming. Otherwise better to spend 5-6k on something used, like RX470 maybe.

OP

1manshow

Journeyman
^^ Thank you very much guys, sorry for the late reply here. Really appreciate all your opinions about my PC config. Actually my last GPU stopped working, so I'm looking for something which works good for my current config. Would like to hold replacing whole computer for now as I'm less inclined to buy all things and re-assembling and may not be even able to do without spending some more bucks at it which I don't want right now.

So to cut short, please let me know a good enough decent GPU which can play games at 1080p settings and doesn't get bottlenecked by my current CPU or MB. Second hand or refurbished should be okay too as long as they are bound to work good. Best performance possible out of GPU/CPU combo is expected. Thank you once again.

PS: If possible please link the online stores here from which I can buy those, in my area, I won't be able to source these graphic cards easily.

Last edited:
OP

1manshow

Journeyman
Thanks mate, but how can I ensure it's not been used for mining? Any website recommendations?

In fact, I'm thinking to hold off purchasing decent graphics card in used condition. Who knows they have been dragged in mining from long time? So till the time I upgrade my overall PC, can you people suggest some entry level GPU to get my PC back in working state? I won't be gaming on that, just use for supplying display to my monitor and watch videos or movies at the max. Price should be as low as possible for this.

Thank you very much for instant help. Really appreciate your inputs.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try olx for you city,techenclave forum & erodov forum bazaar section/classifieds for sale.Saw a 1050Ti going for 5.5k recently with some months of warranty still left.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks mate, but how can I ensure it's not been used for mining? Any website recommendations?

In fact, I'm thinking to hold off purchasing decent graphics card in used condition. Who knows they have been dragged in mining from long time? So till the time I upgrade my overall PC, can you people suggest some entry level GPU to get my PC back in working state? I won't be gaming on that, just use for supplying display to my monitor and watch videos or movies at the max. Price should be as low as possible for this.

Thank you very much for instant help. Really appreciate your inputs.
Then you can go for used gt710/730 as such weak cards cannot be used for mining anyway(new one costs ~2.5k) but no gaming on them.

OP

1manshow

Journeyman
Then you can go for used gt710/730 as such weak cards cannot be used for mining anyway(new one costs ~2.5k) but no gaming on them.
Can you find one dirt cheap no gaming GPU for me bro? If not available, I guess that 1050ti on erodov should be good for 1080p and price is sweet. Thanks a lot :)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Search in olx for your city(search for graphics card & then sort by price,look out for GT710/730). You can also buy new one from amazon( *www.amazon.in/Zotac-DDR3-Zone-Graphics-Card/dp/B01AZ7W88O ) or zotac 710/asus 710 from mdcomputers or vedantcomputers for 3k. My suggestion is that go for 1050Ti from erodov & once you are ready to build a new system then sell it at olx/erodov for half the price of your purchase.

OP

1manshow

Journeyman
Search in olx for your city(search for graphics card & then sort by price,look out for GT710/730). You can also buy new one from amazon( *www.amazon.in/Zotac-DDR3-Zone-Graphics-Card/dp/B01AZ7W88O ) or zotac 710/asus 710 from mdcomputers or vedantcomputers for 3k. My suggestion is that go for 1050Ti from erodov & once you are ready to build a new system then sell it at olx/erodov for half the price of your purchase.
Thanks mate. I tried olx but it didn't showed much options for my city Ujjain. I'm more inclined to get a better graphics card but not sure if 1050Ti is better option. RX570 at that price range is so more powerful. I want something which can be used good now and then resold easily when I upgrade to newer card. Spending 6k for 1050 Ti is worth? Youtube videos show how it performs bad against 570 in any game beaten by almost twice the FPS.

What's your say? Should I go for 1050Ti or try find RX570-580 at similar price range or get 1660Ti and be happy?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
1050Ti barely works with your processor without much bottleneck so RX 570 will definitely experience bottleneck with your processor so then what's the point of getting RX570 if you can only run it at 1050Ti level of performance. If thinking of future build then again nobody knows which new cards will be launched or how prices will change so better think of getting a card like RX580/similar only if planning on upgrading within next 2-3 months & even then a 1660/1660Ti will be much better card than RX 580. Of course if you can get RX 570 for 6k & within warranty then go for it but it seems not much hope of getting cards this cheap in your city on olx so erodov/techenclave are your only option(in reddit /r/IndianGaming section you may also find some sellers but I don't know much regarding such transactions there so can't advice you plus there are some people there who also link to some big facebook group of buyers/sellers so that can be a good option too but again I have no experience with this).

OP

1manshow

Journeyman
1050Ti barely works with your processor without much bottleneck so RX 570 will definitely experience bottleneck with your processor so then what's the point of getting RX570 if you can only run it at 1050Ti level of performance. If thinking of future build then again nobody knows which new cards will be launched or how prices will change so better think of getting a card like RX580/similar only if planning on upgrading within next 2-3 months & even then a 1660/1660Ti will be much better card than RX 580. Of course if you can get RX 570 for 6k & within warranty then go for it but it seems not much hope of getting cards this cheap in your city on olx so erodov/techenclave are your only option(in reddit /r/IndianGaming section you may also find some sellers but I don't know much regarding such transactions there so can't advice you plus there are some people there who also link to some big facebook group of buyers/sellers so that can be a good option too but again I have no experience with this).
Thanks for your reply bro. In that case, I don't think it's worth to get any card if I've to sell it later on. Rather it's better I get a CPU/MB/RAM combo instead, which can for now support inbuilt graphics good enough to let me do watch movies or do occasional RTS games at low settings. I can add GPU next month or so when I feel like upgrading. Can you please recommend a good CPU with inbuilt graphics and MB/RAM to go with it. I'm not inclined to do overclocking for now. Just make sure that it doesn't bottleneck with even the best of latest GPUs if I decide to get in future.

Top Bottom