GPL v3 is arriving soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

[deXter]

Journeyman
Another Slashdot latest:

"E-Week makes mention that GPL Version 3 is coming soon which will revise the GPL for the first time in a while."

An excerpt from the long discussions:
jbn-o said:
This latest revision of the GPL has almost nothing to do with "OSS" development. The open source movement (which doesn't like to talk about software freedom) did not exist when the current version of the GPL (version 2) was written. The free software movement (which is based on software freedom) predates the open source movement by over a decade. This upcoming version (version 3) of the GPL will be the first version of the GPL written since the open source movement started. As far as I know, nobody from the open source movement is writing the next revision of the GPL; it is still written by the people at the FSF (most notably, RMS and Eben Moglen, both of whom make it quite clear in their speeches that they are doing work to promote software freedom). So, the open source movement is receiving a great deal of credit for work it did not do and the danger of tying the GPL with the open source movement is that the open source movement's philosophy, which doesn't object to proprietary software, will be conflated with a license built to create and maintain a commons where software freedom is the rule.

Read more here, and discuss the implications here :)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
I think, after reading this quote of yours people would now know that the word Open Source is nothing but a marketting gimmick... and that's the precise reason why i was so insisting the admins to rename this forum section that says GNU, or Linux , or something more unique .... but not Open Source....

Now-a-days, people just call everything Open Source .... but the guys promoting OpenSource as a marketting strategy were no where to be seen 20 years ago when the GNU Foundation was formed...

If people are interested then i could write more on this .... and the dangers of the so called Open Source movement...

firewall

In the zone
GNUrag said:
...If people are interested then i could write more on this .... and the dangers of the so called Open Source movement...

Please...GNUrag, We are waiting.... ;)

:)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
*mm.gnu.org.in/pipermail/fsf-friends/2004-September/002303.html
"Open Source" is an hopeless expression that cannot legally, correctly
or directly distinguish free from non-free software, without elaborate
and contrived definitions. Of course, we cannot expect OSI people to
abandon their "Open Source" terminology this evening, but they would
have to write long essays why MS is not "Open Source", and hope OSI
thinks of some other better expression . Have fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom