Govt job at home or company job away from home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I've been self-employed all my adult life and I don't intend to change, but someone close to me got a campus placement with Wipro. Joining date is March 2009. He has also received an offer to a government job in our home town, albeit at a somewhat lower salary, and he's asking for my advice. I've summed up the pros and cons of each job this way:

1. Wipro: Higher pay and perhaps better opportunity to gain experience; but having to live far from home at higher expense.

2. Govt job at home: Lower pay and lower chance of learning on the job; but better job security and can work within walking distance from home. Lower living expenses and probably lighter work load.

What do you guys think? And what is it like working for a company in general, and Wipro specifically?

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
I will always prefer a perfect professional life, and so will prefer private sector.

iinfi

mekalodu
wipro.. thats what will help in the long run ... life will be tough no doubt.
you cannot expect to be close to you native place all thru ur life.
if ur friend is a good performer he will get bored with the govt job within 6-12 months.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
mine too is march 2009, wipro rainbow batch...lolz

I dont know what I want to do, need some time to think and prolly will study for higher education meanwhile doin some part-time job

OP
P

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Thanks for the replies. Keep 'em coming. I may have to go out for a while and not be able to reply immediately, but please keep posting your opinions and suggestions.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Wipro.............no doubt................

Govt. job is allright but if u look for progress in future Private Sector is best.......... Govt. sector is a bit stagnant....................u may've low pressure.....but remember one thing, those who works, they work everywhere; if u r good at something u'll be rewarded with more work of that kind, this applies in every field.

then comes onsite opportunities, client interaction(which is not possible in Govt. sector)
I say, be in Private sector till 35yrs of ur life............then come to Govt. sector, u'll be given same salary and moreover some add-ons:D;)

wat do u say?

red_devil

Back!
Woah !! so many ppl in this forum are waiting to take their first step into the corporate life... T, <another guy who's waiting for satyam--forgot the name> , and myself --

guess there r more of us and should make a thread exclusively for us something like "for those who are waiting.. " :D

- ON TOPIC -

ask ur friend to take up the govt job and then switch to wipro if he finds the govt job boring
<afterall wipro has given ur friend time enough to experiment ;-) >

raksrules

Youngling
Wipro.... ne time

Your friend will get a good exposure and will make him feel more outgoing and confident. This is if he has stayed along with his parents for whole life. Its more challenging in private sector but its worth it.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Woah !! so many ppl in this forum are waiting to take their first step into the corporate life... T, <another guy who's waiting for satyam--forgot the name> , and myself --

That would be me :D

As for the topic, I'd definitely suggest the private sector. The idea of working amongst the corrupt & inefficient 'babu-dom' of this country does not appeal to me. :mad:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Thats what all freshers are called :p
Btw , where are you gonna join , Bangalore ?
Most probably Pune, me no likes going any other place.

But Wipro seems an obscure target with dates so late. Me will do something else and if found interesting will continue without Wipro.

R2K

In the Zone
how much salary does wipro offer for freshers( BE, Btech).

R2K

In the Zone
U r asking The DEVIL for explanations?? U do've guts buddy:D

yup ur right I do have guts...:D

BTW only devil opted for govt. job so I was just curious and ended up asking for a explanation....:D:D

din

Tribal Boy
I have a friend who had to face the same situation.

He had two options

1. Govt job in Kerala (his state).

2. IT job (salary is really good) in Hyderabad.

He asked my advice, and I also listed the plus and minus of both. Now what he did is, he came from Hyderabad (didn't resign IT job), joined for Govt job and took 1 Yr leave rt after joining ! And he went back. In Hyderabad, after working hrs, hes getting freelance works and hes developing a good relationship with clients aborad. So what his plan is, when he come back after 1 yr, he can manage the Govt job and the freelancing. I think that is a good idea.

But again, it all depends on the person.

Status
Not open for further replies.