Google Sponsors Improvements for Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Last week, Dan Kegel, a software engineer at Google, posted a message to the Wine mailing list where he described a few of the improvements to Wine that Google sponsored.

Kegel said that Google hired Codeweavers to make Photoshop CS and CS2 work better under Wine, because Photoshop is one of the applications that Linux users are constantly clamoring for. Besides Photoshop, he said that Flash 8 is working much better in Wine, too.

Photoshop is considered to be one of the best professional raster graphic editing solutions, and because it was not supported on the Linux operating system, not too many artists adopted this platform. Although there are some alternatives on Linux, like GIMP, the graphic artists consider them inadequate because they lack important features, like native CMYK support.

If you thought that Google made a completely different version of Picasa for Linux, then you're wrong! The developers used the Windows build and bundled it with a lighter version of Wine. The application keeps improving, as developers will work on the betterment of Wine for Picasa 2.7.

Dan Kegel, Lei Zhang and Alex Balut have been fixing random Wine bugs in their spare time. Kegel also did Valgrind runs over the Wine test suite. Google sponsored some work by Codeweavers to improve support for Dragon Naturally Speaking, a speech recognition product. Now, users with disabilities who have to use this type of software will have the ability to run Dragon Naturally Speaking through Wine.

Google will continue to sponsor Wine's development, thus allowing more users to migrate to Linux distributions. In a response to Dan Kegel's message, Wine developer Jeremy White said: "I just want to take a moment to personally and publicly thank Dan and Google"; "We have appreciated Google's support, and the work of all Google employees, interns, and SOC students very much; it has been a great boon to Wine."

Source: Google

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Gr8 work by Google. Of course this wud be better to the Win Only softwares rather than port the whole thing to Linux, because many of the software companies won't invest so much for very less market.

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Gr8 work by Google. Of course this wud be better to the Win Only softwares rather than port the whole thing to Linux, because many of the software companies won't invest so much for very less market.

Market is not the problem, there is a very large and growing market for linux and lot of demand for application running on linux. The point is, no one is willing to make their softwares open source or free or comply with the GPL license. It's not that they don't want to invest in this market, they want to, but they want the same exhorbitant returns that they get off the locked software world!;)

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Nice move by Google.
But instead of sponsoring wine, they'd better sponsor companies making native *nix apps and help them make apps better IMO.

Regards,
ray

^^M$ India's Sameer Bhatia said: OpenSource can run on windows as well.
Linux India's Gautham said: ClosedSource can run on linux as well.
:p

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Market is not the problem, there is a very large and growing market for linux and lot of demand for application running on linux.
I think market is the biggest problem...

The point is, no one is willing to make their softwares open source or free or comply with the GPL license.
Haha. Why do anybody have to make their software free to release it for Linux?

It's not that they don't want to invest in this market, they want to, but they want the same exhorbitant returns that they get off the locked software world!;)
which they don't get because of lack of gud market for Desktop appz for Linux.. deja-vu?

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Haha. Why do anybody have to make their software free to release it for Linux?

Read the quote once again deja-vu boy.:rolleyes:

The point is, no one is willing to make their softwares open source or free or comply with the GPL license.

I guess you either need reading glasses or need to go back to school and learn English before you start arguing. *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/21.gif

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Read the quote once again deja-vu boy.:rolleyes:

I guess you either need reading glasses or need to go back to school and learn English before you start arguing. *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/21.gif

you are making a fool out of yourself.

Those highlighted ORs won't make your point right... :D

Your software need not be FREE, need not be OpenSource and need not Comply with the GNU License to be released for Linux.

And about my English. I know it is not that gud, and maybe my eyesight isn't that gud either, but I think I have understood some of the things written here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom