Google Launched IMAP Support for Gmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Gmail may bring IMAP support

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.downloadsquad.com/media/2007/10/gmailimap.jpg

However, when waiting for an e-mail tonight, I happened to pop into my GMail settings to find something quite impressive: the section that deals with forwarding mail and POP access was renamed “Forwarding and POP/IMAP.” [Read more]

Many users Report at Download Squad blog of having the feature enabled at their Email Account...

--------

Supported IMAP Client List

Getting Started with IMAP for Gmail

Personally I would say that unless there is folder support to Gmail like Yahoo / Rediff or other email srvice this feature is quite useless to me :(

Last edited:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Re: Gmail may bring IMAP support

Awesome,Just what i was lookin for.
Hope my account gets it soon ;)

Regards,
ray

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

which one is better ? POP3 or IMAP? havent checked the difference of those yet , I have been using POP3 a lot though.

ray|raven

Think Zen.

In POP the mail is downloaded from the server onto your account.
In IMAP the mail is checked from the server itself.
Therby meaning no waiting for attachments to download before you read the mail.Also it means if u mark a mail read at office it stays read when u check again at home.

Regards,
ray

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

Thanks for clarifying... still its not enabled un my account.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver

Charan bro, POP3 - Post Office Protocol 3, its just like a regular post in which you will recieve everything at one time.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

^^ Giga I know POP3 Protocol,I have been using it since ages. only thing is that I havent used IMAP so I dono about its features :p ,

din

Tribal Boy

IMAP is very useful in mobile phone too. We need not download everything, can set like show only subject or part of text, so we can open only those we need. No need to download everything as in POP

Gigacore

Dreamweaver

lol bro, IMAP- Instant Message Access Protocol. . . . raven has already explained it. . . though i've something more to say . . . In IMAP, you have to refresh the page or get back to that page from another to see the new message just like how forums work. . . .

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting

those who have doubt about IMAP or what exactly is it, please refer here, *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Message_Access_Protocol

ilugd

Beware of the innocent

not a vendor independent format is it?
btw, you can do the same thing in imap also.

din

Tribal Boy

@ax3

Please correct me if I am wrong. But as far as I know HTTP is slow compared to POP or IMAP. Yes, Hotmail support it. And yahoo POPs (the software which used to download yahoo emails in outlook express / TB) also use HTTP email internally (which makes retreiving emails slow)

Another thing is, you can use Windows Live Mail - for hotmail. It is almost = Outlook Express and you need not pay for using the email client. That is sure a good option (Thanks to GX_Saurav for giving more info on that) for hotmail users.

Whatever it is, Gmail rox :) No doubt in that. With so many features, pretty neat interface (yahoo is cluttered) and a whopping 4 GB ! Nothing is gonna beat Gmail for the time being...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom