Good external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohanbee

Padawan
im looking for a good external hard drive to put next to my laptop. Anyone have suggestions and pricing............my budget is around 5-7k

mod-the-pc

Back to School Mr. Bean !
How about getting and internal 3.5" HDD and adding an external case to it. But the downside is they're not compact and require external power.

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
^^^ Well no you can go for the Internal Laptops Hard Drives and then put the USB casing over it, doesn't need any external power nd works fine as a USB drive. I've got a 80 GB for Rs. 5000 nd whats cool is that u have 3 years warranty on most Internal Hard Drives nwdays :)

OP
rohanbee

rohanbee

Padawan
AshishSharma said:
^^^ Well no you can go for the Internal Laptops Hard Drives and then put the USB casing over it, doesn't need any external power nd works fine as a USB drive. I've got a 80 GB for Rs. 5000 nd whats cool is that u have 3 years warranty on most Internal Hard Drives nwdays :)

Would it be possible for you to post a pic plus the model name and brand?? Also the brand name for the external casing??
Would be a great help
thanks

OP
rohanbee

rohanbee

Padawan
well that suits my budget pretty dan well and so does the size..........i just hope i can easily find one now.....

OP
rohanbee

rohanbee

Padawan
ya i just got quoted 4400 for a hitachi drive?! and 4000 for a western digital one as well?!
Somebody even suggested going in for a normal hard drive and get a cover on it?!
Never tried that?! will it work? is it worth it??

mod-the-pc

Back to School Mr. Bean !
rohanbee said:
Somebody even suggested going in for a normal hard drive and get a cover on it?!
Never tried that?! will it work? is it worth it??
It works. I got a normal Seagate 250GB HDD and added an external casing to it.

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
Yeah but with that U need external power and it's bulky. I thought abt it myself but then decided against it bcz I use Laptop and it sucks if I can't access the HDD when there's no power.

But otherwise an obvious low cost solution. All depends on ur needs dude :D

OP
rohanbee

rohanbee

Padawan
Well thats true..........ashish..............whats the point if it cant work with the laptops power also.........it might shut down applications which you are working on without saving. Thats why my laptop is such a boon for me.
Also the laptop hd is quite small i belive....
Do you think a 40gb would be too small if i wanna store my music and movies in it?? im gonna have one withn the hour on a trial basis first!!

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Prices 1 mon back on lamington road :-

Seagate 300 GB HD + External USB 2.0 casing = Rs 6500

Laptop Harddisk 100GB + External USB casing = Rs 4200

Laptop harddisk is slim and handy with NO EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY.

The seagate one is Bulky (as it is internal hard disk in a case) and extra cables (2) need to be attached. One for power supply, one for usb drive.

If your aim is data trasfer between comps at diff places, laptop drive is better.

If the aim is massive storage and backup, 300gb is a good option.

goobimama

 Macboy
I've found all these cheap casings pathetic in performance as well as build quality. The only good one's are made by Vantec, but the price doesn't go in favour of them. So what one is left to is to buy a branded external HDD. LaCie's external HDDs are quite good.

And if you are looking for a 3.5inch version, then the Western Digital MyBook Essential/Premium is an excellent buy. Don't get the Iomega or Maxtor one's.

My two paisa's

OP
rohanbee

rohanbee

Padawan
goobimama said:
I've found all these cheap casings pathetic in performance as well as build quality. The only good one's are made by Vantec, but the price doesn't go in favour of them. So what one is left to is to buy a branded external HDD. LaCie's external HDDs are quite good.

And if you are looking for a 3.5inch version, then the Western Digital MyBook Essential/Premium is an excellent buy. Don't get the Iomega or Maxtor one's.

My two paisa's

Thanks for the info!! but you didn't mention any prices...........approx at least. How much is expensive...........if a non-branded case is for 300 odd and a branded one for 1000 odd i dont mind spending on the branded but some info on that will help because i dont seem to be getting any info on the branded cases locally in my town....

goobimama

 Macboy
Well, the Vantec 3.5" external casing costs 2.5k.
The Vantec 2.5" External casing costs 1.5k
MyBook Premium 250GB costs around 7-8k (not sure about the essential edition)

OP
rohanbee

rohanbee

Padawan
goobimama said:
Well, the Vantec 3.5" external casing costs 2.5k.
The Vantec 2.5" External casing costs 1.5k
MyBook Premium 250GB costs around 7-8k (not sure about the essential edition)

Ok thanks now let me check if these are available here to see..........oherwise now im thinking back to getting a normal hd 300 gb odd and it will be cheaper........and get a casing for it.........per gb i will save a lot ......no??!!
Mostly i want it to store pictures , music and movies.........fun stuff......and yes some work/personal back-ups as well............
Do you think a 80gb(laptop hd w case) is enough or should i go in for a 300gb internal desktop drive w case??

goobimama

 Macboy
You can get both MyBook Premium 500Gb as well as 250GB

500GB MyBook Premium is Rs. 17600/-
250GB MyBook Premium is Rs. 8800/-

Regards
Vinayendra Singh
Product Manager - WD
Mediaman Infotech (P) Ltd.
Tel. 91-22-23823100/3200/8100/8200
Fax.91-22-23877418
Cell 91-9324298778
email: vinay@mediamangroup.com

This is the email that i got from the Western Digital dealer in India. The MyBook Premium edition has got a free space indicator as well as Firewire400 support. The essential should be much cheaper and good enough for your needs.

Trust me, I don't think using a normal HDD with a cheap casing is a good option. The casings come off within a few weeks and there are connectivity issues.

The 3.5" v/s 2.5" debate has to be settled by you alone, depending on your needs.

OP
rohanbee

rohanbee

Padawan
Thanks!!!
helps clear out a lot of issues............but wondering if i still wanna spend 8800 on a disk.......
even more confused now!!1
but not because of you comments though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom