Gigabyte's ASPM Motherboard Fix: Use Windows

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have an affected motherboard to the ASPM power regression in the Linux kernel and it's from Gigabyte, don't expect a BIOS update from them to correct the ASPM semantics in the BIOS. Gigabyte recommends you just use Microsoft Windows.

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, since our products only support Windows OS, we do not receive proper driver from chipset vender, we cannot guarantee Linux to work on our system. We suggest you to install Windows OS to prevent having problems. If you install the Windows OS and still have any problems, please provide the error message screenshot for us, so we can try to see how to help. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Read full: [Phoronix] Gigabyte's ASPM Motherboard Fix: Use Windows

Seems like most mobo manufacturers are sh!t to the Linux eco-system.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
And a really idiot of a customer executive.

I wonder which mobo to go for in my next build. :/ (Luckily or unluckily, there are few years for it).

Phoronix Forum said:
What scares the hell out of me is how many motherboard manufacturers are going to use Windows 8 digital signing and not give an option to disable it in their bios rendering trying to install any other OS useless. I can actually see venders doing this in the near future as a way of avoiding the "hassling linux bug issues".
How true. :/

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ Truth be told, we might see that pretty soon. There are also people who are using Hackintosh on boards from both Gigabyte and Asus. Microsoft has became too big that they can force chipset/hardware manufacturer to do their bidding.

He's actually right about Tyan for sure. Truth be told, they make very good boards but its not really pitched towards the consumer crowd.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
This is too much. No I Am not a huge linux user but still atleast most people prefer to keep their mobos open for all OS

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
He's actually right about Tyan for sure. Truth be told, they make very good boards but its not really pitched towards the consumer crowd.
Are they available in India? Personally willing to spend more (twice/thrice whatever) for first class hardware support.