Getting data from corrupted drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sr_ultimate

Journeyman
Sorry for creating a new thread, but I felt its better this way as its a different topic.

Now, My Hard disk had problem of restarting . I am now stuck with an option of formatting, which ofcourse I can't , not until I get the V. IMP files i need. I don't care if I have to spend a good amount for it.

Now, I had this old PC harddisk of 20 GB (SAMSUNG) , so I removed the corrupted harddisk (SEAGATE) and placed the SAMSUNG one there. Then I connected the SEAGATE to the CDROM cable to try retrieve data from it. The problem is again the somewhat same....
I can get data the from all the partitions in the SEAGATE except for the XP installed "C:" drive of SEAGATE. It says its ".. not accessible, Error Permorming inpage operation"

Is there any tool, any method, paid or free with which I can get back the data from that drive ?

Thanks.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
corrupt hard disk... no problemo...

Hey buddy... long time no see...

When you copy small files (less than 256KB), Windows uses a different copying process, one that maps the file into Virtual Memory space. Windows then reads the data from Virtual Memory space, instead of from the slower floppy drive.

But here... as u tried out on another hd... this error would indicate physical problems on the diskette media, and is unrelated to paging operations involving the Windows paging file, despite the wording of the error message.

I'ld suggest u try these methods first...
Inspect the diskette for damage. Reinsert it and try again. If that doesn’t help, a third-party drive utility may be able to recover the file. Check the cable on the disk drive and the computer. Make sure it's snug. Remove the cable connectors from the disk drive and the computer, then reinsert them. Remove the cable connecting them and replace with a new or known good cable.
Also check out the motherboard, ram etc...
Might help if its the other components which r problematic.

Or try takin the faulty drive to a friend & runnin it there as the primary drive.

If it works, by chance, it's a problem with ur machine components & obviously not the drive.
If not working, it's definitely ur drive's problem. It's corrupted/damaged & the files r under risk and that data is probably not recoverable.

Still... try copyin first...
@ ur frinds place, u can attach ur corrupted drive as secondary drive/slave & boot as usual with his working one as primary drive. Copy anything important to his drive or to a USB drive.
@ ur place u can try accessing drive thru live cds... use any live cd to access ur drive & copy paste it to another medium (say another HD or USB Stick). Well, u need to download & write them from a friends' or cybercafe.
Some Windows & Linux live cds here

If everything else fails, finally try data recovery...my fav free one is Restoration.
Others here - Data Recovery Tools.
U can also [SIZE=-1]try professional ones (which cost a bomb) like [/SIZE]Stellar Phoenix, [SIZE=-1]Ontrack Data Recovery...
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
OP
S

sr_ultimate

Journeyman
Oye! Mujhe kya pata tha u'll reply so soon :p

Thanks buddy, I just got up and am having a look at the things you mentioned. Will keep the post updated. Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom