General automobile discussion thread

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Re: The Offtopic Thread V1: Life Support Edition

the best design I like is Chevrolet Cruze

*media.caranddriver.com/images/11q4/426102/chevrolet-cruze-z-spec-concept-photo-426103-s-1280x782.jpg
and Elantra is also good in design :-D

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

^^Elantra's design is an eye catcher. But the engine is pretty tame for such a big car.

I liked ford fiesta hatchback. But that's not available in India.

*media.caranddriver.com/images/12q3/472829/2014-ford-fiesta-titanium-16-tdci-econetic-5-door-euro-spec-photo-477589-s-1280x782.jpg

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson

*www.digit.in/forum/automobiles/185411-general-automobile-discussion-thread.html

amjath

Human Spambot
Talking about cars, we own old Hyundai Santro and have hands on wagon R. So basically hatchbacks only not sedan.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Just a word of caution. Paprika Red color is not in stock now. When I asked for Paprika Red color new Ford Fiesta 2014 delivery, the dealer Talera Ford is asking for minimum 20k rupees extra saying that by the time the car will be received from the company (after manufacturing it or something) the prices are going to increase even if we pay full amount now.

If you want anything other than silver or white. Be ready to pay extra bucks. I am not sure what kind of mathematics they use for this.

Never had high opinion of ford's ethics but this leaves a sour taste. Likely going for hyundai elite i20 or Verna then.

amjath

Human Spambot
^ toyota eithos or any Honda??

OT:
The truth is, if your car breakdown indian brand and foriegn brand behave differently. Indian car manufacture will drag the car for towing, but Non-Indian Manufacturer will tow your car by carrying on the truck

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^ toyota eithos or any Honda??

OT:
The truth is, if your car breakdown indian brand and foriegn brand behave differently. Indian car manufacture will drag the car for towing, but Non-Indian Manufacturer will tow your car by carrying on the truck

Eying for Elite i20 now. Don't like Etios and Honda diesel NVH is just bad.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^tried grand i10?

Yeah. It's a good car but I don't like the styling. I don't even like old i20 design. Styling benchmark to me is Elantra.

Like the European design of elite i20. Tomorrow is the test drive. Diesel top end variant Asta is about 9 lacs on road in pune.

amjath

Human Spambot
^ BTW i really like that led light arrangement near fog light in i20. It gives premium look when lit like merc

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^Yeah, real tail lamp is designed to turn heads.

- - - Updated - - -

Test drove Elite i20. Impressive ride in city. Couldn't get chance to drive for extended run.

Considering that the support and service will be good, this one is a good candidate. Waiting time is around 1 month. Will be getting details by tomorrow.

Not happy with the attitude of Ford dealers. Wonder how good the service will be. Don't want to take unnecessary headache during after sales service.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I like the practicality of Ertiga. It is compact enough to be practical in our congested cities/towns. Large enough to squeeze in a few relatives in case of emergencies. Enough space for luggage for a long drive if only family. Planning to get it next. Right now I drive a petrol Ritz.
I have enjoyed the peace of mind offered by Maruti's extensive and accessible service network.

---------

Hypothetically I would love to get myself a shiny Volvo :cool:

*esd.volvocars.com/site/MY14/S60/Gallery/Exterior/exterior_large_1.jpg

Last edited:

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Having a Volvo in India would force you to turn most of the "safety" features off most of the time.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Having a Volvo in India would force you to turn most of the "safety" features off most of the time.
I understand that some features may end up irritating you or costing you such as body sensors (pets, lightning or passing by heavy vehicles set them off at all times of day) and airbags (hypothetically may inflate while involved in minor day to day collisions with buffaloes or 2 wheelers but I suppose there are thresholds for airbag deployment that are sensible)

Things like ABS, Traction Control or such might be life saving.

Did you mean something else?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I understand that some features may end up irritating you or costing you such as body sensors (pets, lightning or passing by heavy vehicles set them off at all times of day) and airbags (hypothetically may inflate while involved in minor day to day collisions with buffaloes or 2 wheelers but I suppose there are thresholds for airbag deployment that are sensible)

Things like ABS, Traction Control or such might be life saving.

Did you mean something else?

ESP may overcompensate when you try to swerve avoiding an obstacle in normal Indian driving conditions.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Airbags, ABS, Traction Control are in almost all cars in this segment - I was talking about something very specific to Volvos (Though the new S-Class and probably the E have this too now): Automatic Braking, Lane Sensors etc. While I advocate lane-driving and being safe on roads all the time, I also realize that in Indian conditions driving in lanes properly is not possible every time. And I've read that the car will keep braking in busy roads and markets due to 'body sensors'/'automatic braking'. Here's more to read: Volvo S60 (304 BHP AWD) : Test Drive & Review - Team-BHP
GTO said:
While some of the features have inherent value, the others are irrelevant to India. For instance, when driving within the city, keeping the gaps that us Indians are used to (and I mean, COMFORTABLE gaps), the beeps & alerts drove us crazy! A cycle passes from the front of the car = BEEP. A pedestrian is toward the front LHS of the car in a busy market place = BEEP. These systems definitely need to be localised for Indian driving conditions. In their current form, the sensors are hypersensitive & something or the other keeps beeping every 5 minutes. On the final leg of the drive, I switched most of the systems off.

Top Bottom