Gaming PC at INR 40,000 (Approx)

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
Did you get the correct bill... With VAT tax....

Most of the shop quote less prices and at the time of preparing bills adds extra money..... For VAT...

OP
C

CitizenVish

Broken In
Did you get the correct bill... With VAT tax....

Most of the shop quote less prices and at the time of preparing bills adds extra money..... For VAT...

I did; the final cost remained the same. The prices are inclusive of VAT.

@Cilus
Makes sense, Sir. I guess got to live with two sticks, for now. That's an AMDzilla you got there.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
First, sorry for the long delay in posting this; things have been rather effy.

So, on Monday (07-Nov-2011), I did go to Lamington Road and bought the PC. I bought everything from Theitwares, and I must say, Rahul was particularly helpful. Here's the kit I bought.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE & Asus M5A97: INR 12,600
I went for this motherboard as it is a full ATX one, and for some reason, I wanted that. Plus, it is the lowest-spec 97x series board and has the features I wanted (USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gbps). The only concern that I have is the lack of an IGP; so, if the graphics card develops an error, I'm PC-nude. Last, somehow I felt justified in paying the extra for a 965 over a 955.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB): INR 1800
I had decided to go in for a dual-channel setup. It cost a mere 100-150 bucks more.

Seagate Barracuda 250 GB: INR 4000
No comments here.

ASUS 24X DVD Writer: INR 1100
Again, no comments.

SeaSonic S12II 520: INR 3600
The Corsair GS600 wasn't available, and I asked Rahul which is the one he would recommend for my setup. He said to go ahead with the SeaSonic 520. Must say, that was a good call. This PSU is good, and reading the reviews from various sites only re-affirmed that. Will that 80 watt drop in available power hit me hard; I don't think so. I've no intention of a multi-GPU setup or extreme overclocking, so 520 watts suffices I guess.

Sapphire HD 6870: INR 11,700
That shop which vickybat mentioned no longer stocked that card, and the cheapest 560 Ti that I could find was a Zotac Amp one, @ INR 13,700. I so wanted to go in for an HD 6950, especially the MSI TF one (a cool four grands more). But, for two reasons, I could not extend my budget any more.

Corsair Carbide 400R*: INR 4700
Pleasant surprise, isn't it? So here's what happened. We (me and my father) go to the shop and are looking at the various cabinets. My dad WANTED the 400R because it was big, had more space, looked/felt very solid, and had a couple of extra fans thrown in. Knowing how hot the operating temperatures can get in my house, I could see why his suggestion made sense. I took the plunge and got myself the Behemoth. Is it a worthy upgrade over a Gamma; yes. Is it a worthy upgrade over a Gamma at the potential cost of a higher GPU; that's a grey area. But the case does bring a smile on my face every time I see it.

Samsung SyncMaster SA350: INR 8700
I had originally bought a BenQ LED monitor @ INR 7000. After going home, it emerged that it wasn't working; yes, we did not test it in the shop. Even more worrying, my mother did not like the monitor and did not care if it saved money. She wanted a Samsung one. Decision made; next day, I got a Samsung one. Must say, I'm impressed.

Numeric 1KVa UPS: INR 4500
Somehow, Intex and iBall did not feel right. APC was another one grand over the Numeric one. Please do provide the links to sites or the numbers of shops which stock UPS at the prices mentioned in the suggested configs.

As for the other things (speakers, and keyboard and mouse), right now, I've made temporary arrangements. Will take a call on these soon.

How has the PC been:
In one word, AWE-EFFIN-SOME. I had no clue what I was missing out on the games I love (World in Conflict, Civilization V, etc.). The detail is beautiful, just beautiful. And, I'm still getting used to 15-sec boot times.
:lol:

For the future:
  • My bro's a FIFA fan, and I've to buy the Xbox controller.
  • After buying a 6 Gbps-compatible board, I'm thinking I'll go in for an SSD, cause whatever I've read up until now, has been very impressive.
  • Haven't overclocked the CPU or the GPU yet cause there's been no need to. If I really have to, then I guess I need to get a custom cooler for the CPU.
:grin:

Lessons learned:
  • The more you toil on the Internet (specifically, TDF), the easier would be your purchase. I have been spending the better half of the past 1 month (prior to the purchase date) merely going through various hardware sites and multiple reviews, and it helps.
  • Could I have gotten a better deal; perhaps, and perhaps not. In the end, do what you have to (shop from one place or walk the entire market), but be satisfied. If you aren't, no point buying. I'm very happy with my purchases and other than that monitor fiasco, shopping was quite good. Did I overspend, yes. But I think it was worth it.
  • Also, getting a balanced PC in your budget and as per your needs is the right approach. Though an Intel build would have been faster, I didn't want to be "locked" so to speak. Additionally, I'm certain that the above speed bump won't translate much into visible improvement vis-a-vis gaming, my main (can call it sole) purpose for buying the PC.
  • I don't know who, but someone on this forum often says that one should get a good cabinet and a good power supply, as these are very less likely to be replaced over builds. He talks gold, fellows. The 400R is worth every bit of it, and SeaSonic power supplies are really good. And I don't know much about other company's monitors, but that Samsung monitor is a piece of kit.
:idea:

Thanks to everyone who participated and helped me out. Appreciate it.
:thumbs:

PS: Sorry for the long post.

At first, congrats on your purchase, specially 400R.
Secondly, do post some pics in the rig showoff or any other section. :)

Enjoy computing/gaming in the new rig. :)

OP
C

CitizenVish

Broken In
@fz8975
Thanks mate.
Yet to run benchmarks, but to give you an idea, Battlefield 3 runs at 53 fps (approx. avg.) on High settings and 1080p60. This is the one game that really stresses my 6870 and (to a certain extent) my 965. Yet to try Ultra.

@avichandana20000
Thanks. I do not know the exact breakup, but if I were to hazard a guess, it would be INR 6600 for the CPU, and INR 6000 for the motherboard.

@d6bmg
Thank you sir. As for pics, I'll post them, but might take time.

In most recent-old games (World in Conflict, various CoD titles, etc.), I easily get around 60 fps (approx. avg.) on the highest settings at 1080p60.

Idle temps:
CPU @ 39°C, MoBo @ 38°C, GPU @ 48°C
Heavy load temps (Battlefield 3 on High settings and 1080p60):
CPU @ 48°C, MoBo @ 47°C, GPU @ 66°C
Are these normal?

Also, the monitor is proving to be my Achilles' heel. The new Samsung (SA350H 22" FullHD LED) monitor has a vertical line running down the length of the screen on the right side. Called up Samsung and they are sending a guy over to check. Will post details soon in the RMA thread.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
@fz8975
@d6bmg
Thank you sir. As for pics, I'll post them, but might take time.

Please don't call any of us as sir. We are all friends. :)

Idle temps:
CPU @ 39°C, MoBo @ 38°C, GPU @ 48°C
Heavy load temps (Battlefield 3 on High settings and 1080p60):
CPU @ 48°C, MoBo @ 47°C, GPU @ 66°C
Are these normal?

temperatures are perfectly normal.

OP
C

CitizenVish

Broken In
Updates:
Bought the Razer Cyclosa keyboard-mouse bundle (INR 2,029), Razer Goliathus (Control) mousepad (INR 443), Logitech Z313 (INR 1,617), and Belkin N150 wireless router (INR 1,502), all from Flipkart. Items were delivered well-packaged and before estimated time. Flipkart's never let me down in this regard.

My (mini-)reviews of the items purchased:
Razer Cyclosa keyboard-mouse bundle
The mouse feels good and is very comfortable when used for long. The movement and control are spot on. The keyboard is well-made and comfortable, but is (very) difficult to read in low-light conditions.

Razer Goliathus (Control) mousepad
I have a tendency to move the mouse a bit too much; this pad has helped me in that regard. But, this pad would be a much better buy if it were a 100-200 bucks cheaper.

Logitech Z313
I'm no audiophile and can only say that I have no complaints with the speakers. Also, they are good for the price I paid.

Belkin N150 wireless router
I bought this for WiFi with my laptop. In short, I have the Behemoth hooked via a LAN cable and the laptop on WiFi. The N150 is a basic router that gets the job done. However, as the distance increases, torrent download speeds over WiFi decrease; strangely, speed test results remain the same. This, however, is a non-issue because when I have to download stuff, I keep my laptop just besides the router. I can also use a LAN cable for this, if I ever want to.

I know the pics are due; I will address that soon.

BTW, I finally gamed Battlefield 3 on Ultra @ 1080p60; though I averaged around 35 fps, the difference (vis-a-vis 54 fps on High @ 1080p60) was hard to spot once I switched FRAPS off.

In short, loving it.

OP
C

CitizenVish

Broken In
@fz8975
Will see if I can update my sig. :wink:

@gump
Let us know how it goes.

BTW gentlemen, here's my rig:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/overclocking-show-off/150902-behemoth.html

Top Bottom