Gamedev PCs

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Building a bunch of PCs for Gamedev. Will probably build 5 at first and more later

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Gamedev in Unity, Unreal, Blender, Maya, Substance etc

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: ~1L per build

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Probably not. Reliability matters most.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win 10 Pro.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 240GB SSD, 1 TB HDD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: March

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Online

Current Part list. Lemme know if anyone has a better part list/cheaper prices elsewhere

CPU R5 3600
Buy Online AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3rd Gen Desktop Processor 100-100000031BOX - in India
Mobo MSI B450 Max
*www.amazon.in/dp/B07W838JXD
Ram ADATA XPG
Buy Online ADATA XPG Gammix D30 16GB (2X8GB) 3200 MHz DDR4 Memory AX4U320038G16-DB30 - in India
SSD BX500
Buy Online Crucial 240GB BX500 SATA III 2.5″ Internal SSD CT240BX500SSD1 In India
HDD WD Green
*www.amazon.in/dp/B0055QG710
GPU RTX 2060
*www.amazon.in/dp/B07N1JVMX6
Case 100R
*www.amazon.in/dp/B00RORBQNW
PSU CS550
*www.primeabgb.com/online-price-rev...-plus-bronze-certification-psu-cp-9020121-uk/
Monitor AOC 24"
*www.amazon.in/dp/B07D1GXCKG
Drawing Tablet Kamvas 16
*www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07R8PYDKQ

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
The pain point here is Maya and GPU, professionals studio workstations use Quadro cards, which can easily exceed the budget of the rest of the rig. Look for the "certified" list here, instead of the "tested". This makes the rig rock solid and reliable, and working with Maya super fast (like no appreciable lag even if you are using shortcuts in rapid succession, or animating stuff like fur or cloth). This is not a strict requirement, but at least be aware of it before making the decision.
If designing rigs per role in the studio, then can smartly manage the budget to give better hardware to those who need it.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Replace msi mobo with asrock b450 pro 4,msi after sales support is poor(assuming location for pc use is in india). if these systems are to be used abroad then @anupam_pb may know better.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
The pain point here is Maya and GPU, professionals studio workstations use Quadro cards, which can easily exceed the budget of the rest of the rig. Look for the "certified" list here, instead of the "tested". This makes the rig rock solid and reliable, and working with Maya super fast (like no appreciable lag even if you are using shortcuts in rapid succession, or animating stuff like fur or cloth). This is not a strict requirement, but at least be aware of it before making the decision.
If designing rigs per role in the studio, then can smartly manage the budget to give better hardware to those who need it.
Yea don't need Quadro for now. Looking for cheapest RTX for ray tracing in blender and substance.

Replace BX500 with MX500 (or get a TLC nvme drive instead). BX500 shouldn't be used for intensive tasks IMO.
Might get a NVMe, hard maybe.

Replace msi mobo with asrock b450 pro 4,msi after sales support is poor(assuming location for pc use is in india). if these systems are to be used abroad then @anupam_pb may know better.
Using in India

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Also thinking of just getting a 3700x for each rig, not a huge markup per rig and will last me longer

Made small changes to your build. If its 1 lakh for the build w/o tablet, this is relevant.

CPU - AMD R7 3700X - 27.2k

Mobo - Asus Prime X570-P - 15.5k

RAM - 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz - 5.8k

GPU - Zotac RTX 2060 - 25k (5 year warranty after online registration)

SSD - Silicon Power M.2 NVMe 512GB - 6k

HDD - WD Green 1TB - 2.6k

PSU - Corsair TX650M - 7.4k

Cabinet - Cooler Master/Antec/corsair mid tower ATX - 3.1k (100R is decent enough)

Monitor - AOC 24" - 8.4k

Total - 101k +30k for the Tablet

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Made small changes to your build. If its 1 lakh for the build w/o tablet, this is relevant.

CPU - AMD R7 3700X - 27.2k

Mobo - Asus Prime X570-P - 15.5k

RAM - 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz - 5.8k

GPU - Zotac RTX 2060 - 25k (5 year warranty after online registration)

SSD - Silicon Power M.2 NVMe 512GB - 6k

HDD - WD Green 1TB - 2.6k

PSU - Corsair TX650M - 7.4k

Cabinet - Cooler Master/Antec/corsair mid tower ATX - 3.1k (100R is decent enough)

Monitor - AOC 24" - 8.4k

Total - 101k +30k for the Tablet
I don't see any reason to go for a X570 over a B450. I am not going to be overclocking. Moreover I feel CX550 is enough and a TX650M is unnecessary. I am looking for cheaper parts, not more expensive :p

I don't see any reason to go for a X570 over a B450. I am not going to be overclocking. Moreover I feel CX550 is enough and a TX650M is unnecessary. I am looking for cheaper parts, not more expensive :p
You said something about reliability, so recommended higher quality parts. With AMD, you can overclock even with B450 mobos. Something like AsRock B450 Pro4 or Asus TUF B450 will do fine, just make sure those have latest BIOS. MSI has bad after sales in India right now & high number of products with complaints, so better avoid it.

CX550 is a good budget PSU, but since you getting some seriously powerful PC & spending such a high amount, better to get a high quality PSU as well, hence TX650M.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
You said something about reliability, so recommended higher quality parts. With AMD, you can overclock even with B450 mobos. Something like AsRock B450 Pro4 or Asus TUF B450 will do fine, just make sure those have latest BIOS. MSI has bad after sales in India right now & high number of products with complaints, so better avoid it.

CX550 is a good budget PSU, but since you getting some seriously powerful PC & spending such a high amount, better to get a high quality PSU as well, hence TX650M.
Might go with Asrock then.

PSU Tier List 4.0
Looks like CX550 is in the B+ tier list vs A for the TX650M, I doubt there's much difference.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Looks like MSI B450 Max motherboards are guaranteed compatible with Ryzen 3rd gen. That kinda adds to the appeal. I might take the gamble on these

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like MSI B450 Max motherboards are guaranteed compatible with Ryzen 3rd gen. That kinda adds to the appeal. I might take the gamble on these
Don't go by that,just see this thread from around page 29 Need help in building My first ever gaming PC

Also 2 members recently bought asrock b450 pro 4 mobo from the theitdepot & mfg date was oct 2019 with ryzen 3xxx out of box compatibility.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Might as well get a bunch of these then
*www.amazon.in/Corsair-Vengeance-3000Mhz-Motherboard-CMK8GX4M1D3000C16/dp/B07B4FRMGV
Get two of these instead Buy Online Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (8GBx1) 3200MHz DDR4 Desktop Memory CMK8GX4M1E3200C16 - in India

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Don't go by that,just see this thread from around page 29 Need help in building My first ever gaming PC

Also 2 members recently bought asrock b450 pro 4 mobo from the theitdepot & mfg date was oct 2019 with ryzen 3xxx out of box compatibility.
Buy Online Asrock B450M Pro4-F AMD AM4 Socket Motherboard lowest price in india at www.theitdepot.com

this one?

Top Bottom