Game Dev Salary Avg 40 Lacs!!

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
You're quoting the salary as 40 lakh considering the USD payout. Lot of other normal IT jobs pay more that that.

OP
Sujeet

Sujeet

Undead!!!
^^ITS Not about comparison of jobs where we decide which one has higher salary ..its about the game devs in specific and how much do they make on avg for keeping us entertainded

Thats why it has been posted in gaming section instead of careers or news section.

More importantly unlike IT/Engineering where if you have good degree from extremely reputed College such as IIT which puts you in a position to claim hi-paid job in good company like intel,microsoft etc with even newcomers being offered 50lac+ package .you can simply forget about similar case in gaming industry.
GD life is life of hard knocks..nothing can help you have even 20lac salary as newbie in this industry.It takes patience and persistence to make your name in Gaming WORLD.
Specially in india where people prefer making fun out of someone who dares to say 'I Wannabe A Game Designer"/"Wanna have my own Gaming Studio"!!

Last edited:

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Will be turning to GD very soon:mrgreen:

if youre becoming an indie(and not supported by some publisher) GD start small first
1.mobile game dev
then
2.PC indie games(release via steam/gamersgate)
then
3.REAL games PC/Console
and of course you need to increase manpower for every bigger venture e.g level designer,UI designer etc

if you're becoming a game dev dont ever release your game in india(unless its a mobile/indie game)
for the simple reason that your game will be pirated like hell if it becomes popular

i too want to become a gd more of a level character designer though....
and my role models are CDprojekt and capcom(both are publishers/developing studio in one)
one day i will make my own game studio....

ritvij

rated R
my aim is to open up my own game production company someday..! but sadly my for my dad i need a bachelor's degree first...:(
when i told him i wanted to become game programmer he said that you dont want to study.. i mean WTH!!!!!!! :O:O:O

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Salary means nothing. If you knew the modicum of work involved, the external pressures, time limits, workforce constraints, "crunch time", etc. in this industry, you would think twice before taking it up. The good salaries are there for a reason - such jobs *will* take a toll on your personal lives.

If you know the risks and the rewards and have the courage, determination, drive and creativity, then by all means go for it.

If you are just a person dreaming of high salary and status, a great married life with kids etc., forget about it, you will never be successful in this industry.

That is my 2 cents on this issue.

OP
Sujeet

Sujeet

Undead!!!
if youre becoming an indie(and not supported by some publisher) GD start small first
1.mobile game dev
then
then
3.REAL games PC/Console
and of course you need to increase manpower for every bigger venture e.g level designer,UI designer etc

if you're becoming a game dev dont ever release your game in india(unless its a mobile/indie game)
for the simple reason that your game will be pirated like hell if it becomes popular

i too want to become a gd more of a level character designer though....
and my role models are CDprojekt and capcom(both are publishers/developing studio in one)
one day i will make my own game studio....
Yeah I know that all. Still thanx for reminding.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
12 of the top 25 studios that made the most money in 2011 released for the iOS platform, 6 PC, 2 Wii, 1 each for Xbox 360 and PS3, the remaining 2 are multi-platform and 1 is both Android and iOS
9 of the 25 are Indie
so dont think big studios are earning the big bucks, iOS is def ruling the gaming roost
DEVELOP 100: THE WORLD'S MOST SUCCESSFUL GAME STUDIOS
gonno go down the list and check out the studios more

1.mobile game dev
then
then
3.REAL games PC/Console

^ thats old thinking the challenge now is to make good microsized games that are immersive but casual - in the sense play for many short sessions instead of a few long sessions. Mobile game dev is where all the action is at.

Small teams can also make more money in this arena so although the competition is that much tougher, the payoff can potentially be much more than the 40lac figure

OP
Sujeet

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Salary means nothing. If you knew the modicum of work involved, the external pressures, time limits, workforce constraints, "crunch time", etc. in this industry, you would think twice before taking it up. The good salaries are there for a reason - such jobs *will* take a toll on your personal lives.

If you know the risks and the rewards and have the courage, determination, drive and creativity, then by all means go for it.

If you are just a person dreaming of high salary and status, a great married life with kids etc., forget about it, you will never be successful in this industry.

That is my 2 cents on this issue.

For last two years i have been consistently honing up skills of C++/HTML5/Python ;Photoshop/Illustratot ;UDK/Unity;Max/Maya for the sole purpose of making my own game project come to life.

Degree doesnt matter to me neither am i gonna waste my 4-5yr in a f@#$$ college instead i will keep working on my project till wont be a success.

Have already applied for DSK IC but the gigantic fee of 32+lac for 5yr course isnt helping me and even after 100%scholarship on course fee i have to pay around 10.2 lac which is very difficult considering that they are not affiliated by Government though there certification is of no use for me.I just want to learn. Never wished for a job as a GD.

Some day i am gonna make this s%$# happen for sure.Mark my words.

12 of the top 25 studios that made the most money in 2011 released for the iOS platform, 6 PC, 2 Wii, 1 each for Xbox 360 and PS3, the remaining 2 are multi-platform and 1 is both Android and iOS
9 of the 25 are Indie
so dont think big studios are earning the big bucks, iOS is def ruling the gaming roost
DEVELOP 100: THE WORLD'S MOST SUCCESSFUL GAME STUDIOS
gonno go down the list and check out the studios more

^ thats old thinking the challenge now is to make good microsized games that are immersive but casual - in the sense play for many short sessions instead of a few long sessions. Mobile game dev is where all the action is at.
You keep talking of casual games.What about someone willing to make hardcore game??

In the list indiagames is the only indian one and that too beacause of its multinational nature credited to Disney;its new owner.

Just try counting studios from US/UK/japan..oh i forgot rest all belongs to these Nations only.

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Ok a company like gameloft that churns out quality games on all platforms didnt make it, neither did Rovio that held on to a single sale model, but the company that made stick cricket did make it to the list so these are the moneymaking trends
1) microtransactions - in game economy and additional content that can be purchased in game
2) time spent in game. Hardcore games get over in a few hours. Even skyrim peaked over a span of a couple of weeks. People keep playing casual games for longer than they play the so called serious games. Portal 2 has a start, beginning and end, bejeweled goes on forever.
3) advertising - companies in racing games as an eg
4) ease of payment - mobiles are convenient and more trustworthy than desktops
5) multiplayer and pvp - not worth buying all the stuff just 4 urself

The countries in the mix is an interesting study tho mebbe its worth plotting on a splatter map
US - 36, Japan - 19, UK - 13, Canada - 6, Sweden - 4, South Korea, Germany - 3 and Austria 2 in teh 100

patrick4

Chief
A salary of 80 - 90K USD per annum is actually very average pay considering the cost of living in US. In comparison, its almost the same standard of living as someone earning 8 -9 Lacs per annum in India.

Secondly, its a very stresful life as a GD and the work is very repetitive and monotonous thru out the project cycle. That coupled with the stringent timelines and 6.5 working days a week really takes a toll on a person and almost makes it not worthwhile to earn and "average pay"

Finally after toiling day and night towards a working title and see millions of us downloading a pirated copy takes away any satisfaction of getting into this career.

That being said, the only folks who are in this industry are ones who are truly passionate about what they do and are willing to make these sacrifices to do what they love.

AFAIK, each person in this field is here only by choice and passion which is actually really awesome.

Neuron

Electronic.
Becoming a game dev just for the high salary is a nasty thing to do.Become one only if you like hardcore programming.

OP
Sujeet

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Becoming a game dev just for the high salary is a nasty thing to do.Become one only if you like hardcore programming.
Might wanna rethink.
One can be game designer without knowing a single line of code.
Thats what game artist and designers do.
Programming has separate deparmtent and more importantly one can accomplish simple game projects using unity/UDK(many more and simple tools such as construct2 are available too) without knowing any serious programming.

Neuron

Electronic.
Might wanna rethink.
One can be game designer without knowing a single line of code.
Thats what game artist and designers do.
Programming has separate deparmtent and more importantly one can accomplish simple game projects using unity/UDK(many more and simple tools such as construct2 are available too) without knowing any serious programming.

If you are creating projects of your own then yes.But if you want to join a game development organization like Blizzard you gotta do the hard thing.The pay is high for the same reason.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
the engine is the main property of the big studios, some are exceptions Valve has a store

OP
Sujeet

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Pay is not high, especially at GD level. The pay is very ordinary.
LOL Just one thing
Cliff Bleszinski: is the design director(essentially Game Desginer) for Epic Games and has a net worth of $15 million. Cliff Bleszinski has accumulated his net worth through his creativity in the designing of popular video and pc games, such as Gears of War for Xbox 360. He was born in North Andover, Massachusetts in 1975.
NET WORTH :15MN$
There are hundreds of other Game desginer with celebrity status ,and very high net worth made solely out of Game Development.Just for info.

the engine is the main property of the big studios, some are exceptions Valve has a store

Game engines are assets.
The main property of a game studio is the IP-Intellectual property(original game concept and game created).
There are hundred of studios who use 3rd party Engine Like Unrela/Cryengine etc .
e.g. Rocksteady renowned for Batman AC & Batman AA.

Top Bottom