GAIM and Google Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorpion

Journeyman
I am running Suse 9.1.
I installed Gaim 1.5, the latest stable release.

Now, Google talk which is supposed to run on Jabber protocol fine is giving me a tough time. :(
I exactly filled the details as given in Google Help Page, but am constatly getting this error " Server Doesnot Use Any Supported Authentication Method" .
I am able to log in to my yahoo fine. Searched for FAQ but none seems to have the same problem :roll:

Can some one help me? I am a sort of new to linux.....

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Google talk uses authentication over TLS. Make sure you have TLS and only that option enabled.

Mine is GAIM 1.4 and works fine over Google.... except for that wmpus.game thing (whatever it is! )

OP
S

Scorpion

Journeyman
Use TLS if available is slected and the rest are un-checked.
I have been trying for the last two hours... with no use.
What is this authentication method? And why doesn't my system support it! :cry:

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
*img189.imageshack.us/img189/985/screenshot2zf.th.jpg
Check whether your settings are similar to this one.

OP
S

Scorpion

Journeyman
Err..DesertWind... the image is too small... I can't see a line.
But I am certain, I got the settings just as the google help page showed for GAIM. And it still gives me the same error!
Well, how do I check if TLS is installed on my system?

OP
S

Scorpion

Journeyman
Searching for libgnutls yielded no results in my Yast2.
I googled and installed libgnutls for suse 9.1 via yast2, its a RPM.
Now, searching for TLS shows GNUTls in the yast2. And searching for libgnutls still yields no results.

Still I am unable to connect to Google Talk and it still is giving the same error!

OP
S

Scorpion

Journeyman
And Hey!
The About Box of My GAIM when I logged in to Yahoo shows that GNUTLS is Disabled! Is that some thing? Can that be helped?
Infact, this is what it shows.... if only some one can help it...
--------------------------------------------------------

Gaim was compiled with the following:
Arguments to ./configure: '--prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--with-ao=/usr/lib' '--with-perl-lib=/var/tmp/gaim-1.5.0-root/usr' '--with-silc-includes=/usr/include/silc' '--with-silc-libs=/usr/lib/silc' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -march=i586 -mcpu=pentiumpro '
Print debugging messages: No
Binary relocation: Disabled
Plugins: Enabled
SSL: Gaim was compiled with SSL support
GNUTLS: Disabled
NSS: Enabled
Tcl: Yes
Tk: Yes
External libzephyr: No
Zephyr uses Kerberos: No
AO: Yes
NAS Audio: No
GtkSpell: Enabled
XScreenSaver support: Yes
X SM support: Yes

--------------------------------------------

Now please.....

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
GNUTLS is known as libgnutls in Debian :)

Scorpion said:
Gaim was compiled with the following:
Arguments to ./configure: '--prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--with-ao=/usr/lib' '--with-perl-lib=/var/tmp/gaim-1.5.0-root/usr' '--with-silc-includes=/usr/include/silc' '--with-silc-libs=/usr/lib/silc' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -march=i586 -mcpu=pentiumpro '
Print debugging messages: No
Binary relocation: Disabled
Plugins: Enabled
SSL: Gaim was compiled with SSL support
GNUTLS: Disabled
NSS: Enabled
Tcl: Yes
Tk: Yes
External libzephyr: No
Zephyr uses Kerberos: No
AO: Yes
NAS Audio: No
GtkSpell: Enabled
XScreenSaver support: Yes
X SM support: Yes
As you can see in bold, GAIM was somehow compiled without GNUTLS support.
Did you yourself compile GAIM?

OP
S

Scorpion

Journeyman
Nope... I didn't compile GAIM.
Initilly My system has some 0.75 something version of GAIM. It gave the same error when I tried to connect to Google Talk.
So, I upgraded it by downloading a RPM package for Mandrake 9.2(It doesn't hurt... does it? installing mandrakes version on suse)
All I did was click the RPM file and choose yast2 to install it. It installed.
Now, when I run it... I get this error again.
I didn't compile gaim or anything else other than what I said above.... and it is still giving the same error... :(

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
No, it does not matter if you install RPM from one distro into another. However the mandrake people did not compile GAIM with GNUTLS support.

What you can do is go to GAIM homepage at *gaim.sourceforge.net and download the RPM that they distribute.
*gaim.sourceforge.net/downloads.php
See if the Fedora RPMS work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom