Frizzly Framing (photoshop Tutorial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
Here’s a nice trick to frame your picture in a kind of…well, I don’t know how to describe it. Now there may be lots of methods to do this, but here’s one:

Step 1: Create a new image (let's call it image1), about the size of the image that you want to frame. Paint around with a natural brush or something. I don’t have one so I just painted a piece of paper with a black paint and then scanned it. Paint in the form of what I have painted. You can use the my file.

*img203.exs.cx/img203/5244/blackpaper1kp.th.jpg

Step 2: Go to Image > Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast and pump the contrast to maximum. Also, adjust brightness of the image to get a frizzly kind of image.

*img8.exs.cx/img8/7659/frizzly24pz.jpg

Step 3: Next, open the image that you want framed (image2). Any kind will do. I’ll use a group pic. Copy the entire image by pressing Ctrl+A or going to Select > All. And then Ctrl+C or Edit > Copy.

Step 4: Highlight image1 by clicking on the title bar. Then go to Select > Colour Range.
Pump the fuzziness to 200 and then with the eyedropper, select the black in the image. Click OK.

*img181.exs.cx/img181/3329/frizzly37gu.jpg

Step 5: Make sure your colour mode is clicking to RGB by going to Image>Mode>RGB colour. Go to Edit > Paste Into or press Ctrl+Shift+V on the keyboard to paste your image into the selection. That’s it!

Adjustments:
- If you wanted the image to have a black background instead of the white, Invert the colours after step 2 by going to Image > adjustments > Invert or Press Ctrl+I
- Your blackpaper doesn't necessarily restrict the size of your framework. Just increase the size of the document (image1) to whatever your image2 size is, pixelation isnt a problem here.
-

Another method to do this and get variable results is: (continuing from step 2)

Step 3: Select the image1 by pressing Ctrl+A and then Ctrl+C.
Step 4: Open your new image and then just paste (Ctrl+V). Then, just change the blend modes of the newly formed layer.
*img181.exs.cx/img181/1900/frizzly46qy.jpg

Method #3:

If you want your background to be an abstract or somethin' follow on:

Step 3: Open a new image (image3), i recommend an abstract. Copy the image

Step 4: Click the title bar of Image1, go to Select >Colour Range and then select the white part of the image. Click OK

Step 5: Paste the Abstract into the selection by pressing Ctrl+Shift+V or Edit > paste Into.

Step 6: Open your forground image (Image2) and copy the entire image. Go to your Image1. Then go to Select > Colour Range and Reduce the Fuzziness to 0. Then click on the black part of the image. OK.

Step 7: Paste your forground by pressing Ctrl+Shift+V or Edit > Paste Into.

Here’s my final using the first method:
*img181.exs.cx/img181/1120/frizzlyfinal7nv.jpg

With Abstract (method 3):
*img238.exs.cx/img238/8432/frizzlyfinal25se.jpg

All comments appreciated.

If this tutorial sounded a bit too complicated, please let me know, I'll try and simplify/organise it better.

EDIT: Also, If you want to make the abstract background effect (method #3), then let me know, I will post the tutorial for that.

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
i really envy you man...... you always seem to be having a blast in goa.....man i was there for a week during the carnival and i went crazy!

T

Tux

lamrinnirmal said:
i really envy you man...... you always seem to be having a blast in goa.....man i was there for a week during the carnival and i went crazy!

I envy u. U must be enjoying near the MAGNET or anything in B.TRI.

sanjubuddy

Right off the assembly line
Nice affect ,tell me peoples i got big collection of my work and i am really intersted to load it over internet ,click me the best place to show off my pieice of work ....

linardni

Journeyman
wonderful...i tried & showed some professionals...their eyes popped up....thanx goobi

abhasbajpai

Asterisk enthusiast
well goobi, this one is nt orignel with my copy of PS Cs i got a tutorial from photoshop magzine, i dont remember the auther, but this one is discribed the same way even the background images.
but
well keep it up !
u posted it in a nice n entertaning way

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
Well I didn't say it was original. My friend showed it to me once and it got stuck in my head. All the steps are written by me, but I guess the concept was not. I would have posted the source if I had known...

linardni

Journeyman
throw the question of originality......i liked it....it is a nice idea & it works...that's all...

Status
Not open for further replies.