Folder lock : Unlock problem

ANNI4

Right off the assembly line
Hi i had locked one of my folder with folder lock s/w

y'day i formated my pc coz of some virus and reinstall windows xp

now my that locked folder is not unlocking

i chked a thread related to that problem but i couldnt understand wat to do??

I m attaching a screen shot of directory files in cmd prompt

the name of file which is locked is ani

plz help me to unlock that folder !

Thanks

anni

Last edited by a moderator:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
It maybe your lucky day. Cause as far as I know, you can solve this problem by just a rename command.

Try the following command in your command prompt, when you are in the E: drive...
ren aNI.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D} aNI

OP
A

ANNI4

It maybe your lucky day. Cause as far as I know, you can solve this problem by just a rename command.

Try the following command in your command prompt, when you are in the E: drive...

Hey Vineet.... Thanks! Thanks a Lot yaar!!! u solved my problem :) :) :)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Glad that I was able to solve this problem. :))

That Folder lock which you used, uses one of the simplest method of locking a folder. The theory behind it is that, if a folder is renamed, with the extension of a Command Line Switch (CLSID) of proper entities of windows like, My Computer, My Documents, Control Panel, etc, then instead of opening the original folder, it will open that entity of which CLSID is of.

So, if I rename a folder to folder.{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} then that folder will now point to My Computer. Since 20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D is the CLSID of My Computer.

For furthur info and more CLSID:
Command Line Switches to Display Special Objects or Folders When Opening Windows Explorer » My Digital Life

A little gyan doesn't harm anyone :lol:

Reactions: ico
ren aNI.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D} aNI

did that once to a friends computer. he had challanged me to open the folder. he put 10 digit password

then they said i was a H4(|{3R !!!!!! LOL how dumb !!!!!!
(BTW i dont come anywhere them)

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
Glad that I was able to solve this problem. :))

That Folder lock which you used, uses one of the simplest method of locking a folder. The theory behind it is that, if a folder is renamed, with the extension of a Command Line Switch (CLSID) of proper entities of windows like, My Computer, My Documents, Control Panel, etc, then instead of opening the original folder, it will open that entity of which CLSID is of.

So, if I rename a folder to folder.{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} then that folder will now point to My Computer. Since 20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D is the CLSID of My Computer.

For furthur info and more CLSID:
Command Line Switches to Display Special Objects or Folders When Opening Windows Explorer » My Digital Life

A little gyan doesn't harm anyone :lol:

Thanks dude! Got something useful to learn today!!! Great trick man!

pauldmps

Banned
@vineet369
How did you find out the CLSID of his folder ?

EDIT: Okay. Got it. From the screeenshot.

I'll have to try this sometime.

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
@vineet: Congratulations! I suppose you just became more than twice as old as the oldest person on earth.:grin::grin:(just kidding!)
Although great trick. I had to go through all various troubles before now to do this for others.(like via linux etc.).
Personally I don't do this until absolutely necessary. I rather prefer to hide them with names such that no one guesses.
you see if you don't know its there and can't take the trouble to hunt down most probably you wont get it .(I assume Probability<1 of course as Murphy law states:"If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which something can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop":grin::grin:)

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Personally I don't do this until absolutely necessary. I rather prefer to hide them with names such that no one guesses.
you see if you don't know its there and can't take the trouble to hunt down most probably you wont get it .(I assume Probability<1 of course as Murphy law states:"If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which something can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop":grin::grin:)

I still hide my *ahem* contents in a hidden folder with strange name, inside another folder of strange name, that no one would be interested to go into. But this I do, only in home, where there are no "curious minds".
But in office, I still prefer to use a small utility, like, "Folder Lock". Through which I can right click a folder and select "Lock". Which couldn't then be unlocked w/o a master password. (But this folder lock works different from how OP's folder lock used to).

So, you see, different mechanisms of hiding contents at different places apply. Maybe sometime in future, I start to store data in Encrypted format, through various 3rd party utilities. But as of now, I am happy with the degree of privacy I use. :grin:

PS: Nice Murphy law that is. And absolutely correct.

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
@vineet:Actually the base problem in this thread was on a personal pc that's why I suggested.
So, you see, different mechanisms of hiding contents at different places apply. Maybe sometime in future, I start to store data in Encrypted format, through various 3rd party utilities.
:agreed:
Actually if one tries to make things more secure by complex procedure on portable things in most cases they won't be using it and here locking or encryption help making things simple and secure enough for open>>use>>lock.

PS: Nice Murphy law that is. And absolutely correct.
Thanks!

dipankardutta44

my system is windows 7, i face a very big problem, i lock a folder by 'Folder lock' software. but in the locker folder there are no file is lock,password is correct but i can't unlock the folder, when i open that folder say me access denied, plz help

Lenovo,
processor:intel pentrium dual cpu T3400 @2.16GHz
RAM 1GB
SSTEM TYPE: 32 BIT OPERTING SYSTEM

Last edited:

R2K

In the Zone
^^
Explain the problem properly

@To all others who run into the same problem (mentioned in the first post) in future can use this as an alternative fix (after trying vineet369's method ):D

You can use 7-zip to open these kinda hidden folders made by those simple Folder lock batch files
Just browse to the location of the hidden folder with 7 zip ->right click->open folder :D...
Voila.... your treasure chest is wide open in front of you :D

Last edited:

dipankardutta44

my system:
Lenovo,
processor:intel pentrium dual cpu T3400 @2.16GHz
RAM 1GB
SYSTEM TYPE: 32 BIT OPERTING SYSTEM
OPERTING SYSTEM WINDOWS 7

i face a very big problem
i lock a folder by 'Folder lock' software.
but in the locker folder is empty
password is correct but i can't unlock the folder, when i open that folder say me access denied, plz help

Top Bottom