First experience of using an iPhone !!

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
sure. always wanted to have this discussion and flesh out all the faults with iOS. think iOS users hate apple too, but for totally different reasons, not for itunes or bluetooth or any of the stuff that can be fixed with a sw update

-pulling apps

-random and irregular approval process

-apps are different according to region

-updates bring about disruptive changes, you have to familiarize yourself with the device again

-freemium model, which disillusions developers and makes them waste their time if the app is not a super mega hit, maybe this model can work on android because of the sheer numbers

-changing app store rules, have appshopper, dosbox, and a ton of other apps that are pulled, so have no clue what other iOS users are talking about when they complain! if I tell someone to just install appshopper to check out price drops, and put in a wishlist so they get alerted whenever an app they want drops... it can't be done anymore. tapjoy also got nuked. this means that even if your app gets approved, tomorrow apple can change the rules and pull it out.

-two barriers of entry for every app, the initial purchase and then all the IAP goodies, so much so that no IAP is an advertised feature

-lack of flexibility for developers to release and test beta versions, or daily builds, by default this is done by releasing the app in Canada

-pricing of the apps is not consistent with the pricing of the apps on other platforms - some times it is more, at times it is less. think the developers can use android as a marketing medium, release the apps for free on droids, and then charge the iOS users for using the same popular apps.

-all content, ebooks, music, apps drifting to the 0.99 price point, and the quality is getting aligned to that price point only, we need more $5 and $10 apps that don't price drop. World of goo could hold and command a $20 price point, but it also dropped to 0.99 and will prolly go free at some point

-if you get a pad after you own a couple of pods and phones, you will have to re-invest in the apps that are not universal, you simply cannot upgrade after paying the price difference

-sony and nintendo releasing limited content, even though there is immense demand for their apps, so much so that spoof and copycat apps reach the top

-the best people in the business are just ripping of and re-skinning popular titles and releasing em, zynga and gameloft are the two biggest criminals, every new and novel game is just another genre of games for them

can go on and on... but it is in this vein

OP
dashing.sujay

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Anorion said:
-changing app store rules, have appshopper, dosbox, and a ton of other apps that are pulled, so have no clue what other iOS users are talking about when they complain! if I tell someone to just install appshopper to check out price drops, and put in a wishlist so they get alerted whenever an app they want drops... it can't be done anymore. tapjoy also got nuked. this means that even if your app gets approved, tomorrow apple can change the rules and pull it out.

Seriously, this is so anti-dev. Still if devs crave for iOS dev, then I can't think of an answer.

Anorion said:
if you get a pad after you own a couple of pods and phones, you will have to re-invest in the apps that are not universal, you simply cannot upgrade after paying the price difference

What % of apps are "universal" ?

By your bump, I must update the thread.

The iPhone 4S of my friend's unlce was given to him as gift by his best buddy.

So two days back, I went to his house, then I saw his best buddy there. After a while, uncle said by pointing towards me, "dekho gaane transfer ho gaye" (See, songs have been transferred). His best buddy then said, "arre hota kaise nahi, 1 lakh ka laptop jo hai" :eek: (He had a latitude). Then he started bragging about his 1 lakhiya laptop.

I just lol'd and walked away. :)

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Seriously, this is so anti-dev. Still if devs crave for iOS dev, then I can't think of an answer.
What % of apps are "universal" ?

apple still pays out developers more. android is fragmented, and plus there is the piracy issue.

there is also a direct connect between the developer and the market. if you are an ios user, and you demand a feature, the devs take you seriously, not just another random comment, and they seek feedback outside their own home pages and the app store. for example, one of the earliest games on ios, orbital. The game was already perfect enough to be showcased by Jobs at a keynote. then the orbital developer posted a thread on toucharcade forums asking for features and new game modes ios users want, set up a poll, and put those features in new game modes. That particular dev plays by both store design principles, the apple version has soothing, calm music; the droid version has a funky techno soundtrack. Like the android version more just because of the music.

it goes beyond just apps, the few devices support a huge range of accessories and the apps that go with those accessories as well. it's just easier for even the biggest brands to focus solely on ios. android is simply not worth the trouble.

*i.imgur.com/rNm9pAD.jpg

only a negligible fraction of the iOS apps are universal. Sword and Sworcery EP has a universal version and a pocket version, but that is rare, most have a pocket version and a HD version and these are not inter-compatible with the devices. Ideal would be three versions, universal, HD and pocket.

android is doing good, till last year DS and PSP were more serious competition to iOS, now it looks like ios+android are eating into the console market share - ps3/xbox/wii. maybe wii will be gobbled up first.

Top Bottom