Firefox 5 Release Date Set

[ZDnet] Mozilla Firefox 5 set for 21 June release

Mozilla has revealed that Firefox 5 will go through a shortened 13-week development cycle, and that the next version of the popular browser is due to be released on 21 June.

This represents a marked change in direction for the open source browser maker, which spent 12 months developing Firefox 4 before its release on 22 March.

Mozilla will publish three test versions of Firefox 5 before a stable release, according to the Mozilla Firefox: Development Specifics outline.

These editions will be known as Nightly, Aurora and Beta. Nightly will be the first and most unstable version to be released. Some 100,000 Mozilla developers and power users are expected to download this and help to check for bugs.

Aurora will mark a new stage in the development cycle and is expected to be used by one million developers and power users.
Mozilla anticipates that 10 million people will then download the final Beta version before release.

The fast-track approach will mean that features that are not ready for the final build will simply be left out, which is expected to reduce the delays that marred the release of Firefox 4.

Source

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Jiyo pagla, seriously Great news. Yet to feel the silky smooth 4 version and 5 in two months time? Terrific. I so love you Mozilla :)

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Liverpool_fan said:
I hope they are not doing a Chrome
I think they will do better than a Chrome :D

Hope we get process separation

I also read this in the source
Firefox 6 is then expected to be pushed out in mid-August, with an official date yet to be confirmed
Man I think Mozilla devs are going to work very hard. They WANT Their market share BACK!!!!!!!

I am not too happy with Firefox 4 though :(

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
If some how they doing like chrome then it's good at-least we have higher number of add-on.Thanks for news.

doomgiver

Warframe
firefox > chrome

as much as i hate to say it (ff was my fav browser for 2 yrs until chrome 8 ) chrome has 1 advantage over ff
1. speed

thats it. addons? ff got a thriving addon community. security? addons+basic browser(inbuilt) will get you covered.

just wish ff didnt go the chrome way in terms of looks

[Toms] Firefox 5 and 6 Available For Download

Firefox 5 has been moved into the aurora release channel, the second of a total of four release stages. Firefox 6 alpha 1 has been moved to mozilla-central and is available for download.

Mozilla currently labels the Aurora releases in fact as "Aurora" browsers with a new logo and the mozilla-central versions as "Nightlies", also with a new logo. The transitions appear to be mainly testing the new rapid release cycle procedure and there isn't much to see for Firefox users yet. Firefox 4 will get the 4.0.1 (Macaw) security update in May before we will see any changes in the preview releases of Firefox 5. Among the key changes will apparently be the integration of the Home button, which will be built into Firefox as an app tab that will hide the Home desktop application for Firefox.

Mozilla said that Home will be offering a similar experience across all Firefox platforms including mobile and enable users to access all their information, including contacts, bookmarks, web apps and sync data via this tab.

Source

mavihs

Techie By Heart
hmmmmm.....

it would be better if they did something about those popular but slow & memory hog add-ons. thats the main thing keeping FF behind.

check this out: *www.businessinsider.com/slow-firefox-add-ons-2011-4#10-similarweb-23-slower-startup-1

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
i don't like these quick releases... FF4 is a big change over FF3 and u still dont have support for all addons
if they want to do some changes then name it FF4.1 or whatever only if it's a big change should they change it to version 5 or 6 whatever
they should not do a chrome... i just don't like it

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
I am on Nightly build since quite some time. And its already very stable I feel. Never crashed. Not even flash. :D

Nightly 6a1.

Krow

Crowman
Addon developers may have a hard time updating for new versions. Apart from that this seems a positive step.

Top Bottom