Fighting Forum Spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
10 Tips on Fighting Forum Spam

If you're starting your own forum, then the major problem you'll face is spamming. Here are some generic tips on stopping forum spam:

1. Use human validation

Default capchas are long, so look out for mods that will set up random or customised questions.

2. Email verification

Ensure members must activate an email before they can post anything. That includes a profile link. A lot of spambots use random addresses.

3. Prevent new users posting links

Look for mods or apply usergroup permissions to prevent a new member posting a link until they have x posts and been a member y days.

4. Limit post edit time

Some crafty human spammers will edit old posts and either post blatant advertising links, or else hide them in punctuation and invisible images.

5. Limit signature links

Some people think cheap links by volume are good, and signature links are one way to get them. Ensure you dissuade them from spamming your forums with one-liners for signature links by applying restrictions.

6. Use conditionals

Memberlist spamming is a very old game - member registration for profile page link benefits. Either remove the link from the profile, or use conditionals so that any attempts will be worthless.

7. Block common sources

If you notice the same email domains or IP's being used in spamming attempts, block them either in your admin panel, or using .htaccess

8. Censor common offenders

Sometimes you'll get multiple spammers promoting the same service or website. Simply add it to your censored words list, and watch those spam viral marketing campaigns wither.

9. Have a moderator team

Nothing beats lots of different human eyes watching out for your forums. Moderators in different timezones who are frequently active in your community are ideal.

10. Remain vigilant

Keeping aware is as important as anything else. Many admins still don't know what memberlist spamming is. Also, as forums evolve, so do the spamming methods. So keep a general eye on what's happening, not just to your own forum(s) but also to other people's forums.

OP
nepcker

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
I haven't compiled it myself - a friend of mine had e-mailed it to me.

The reason I didn't post the source is quite simply the fact that I became unable to find it out.

I did a Google search on "10 Tips on Fighting Forum Spam" and foiund that this article had been posted on some other forums, by different members. So, it is hard to tell who wrote it.

Anyway, here's a few resources for more information:

1. How to fight forum spamming - a detailed view of the above, but especially focused on vbulletin admins.

2. 5 Quick and Easy Ways To Stop Blog Spam Before It Hits Your Blog - sure, it's focused on blogs, but there are some great tips for forum owners in general if you don't mind getting your hands dirty with .htaccess

3. IncrediBILLs Random Rants - general reports on bot scrapers and spam nets in general, and IP ranges to block

4. SpamHuntress - General anti-spam crusader, with blog, forum, and general spam issues coverage.

Finally, here's the list of other place where this has been posted:
www.noeman.org/gsm/website-development/14010-10-tips-fighting-forum-spam.html
*www.hostbidder.com/showthread.php?t=20097

anandk

Distinguished Member
really nice n useful; some forums sure cud use it ! we r lucky here not to hav this problm.

OP
nepcker

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
yeah, vbulletin and invision boards are relative less spam-affected.

this article is especially written for phpbb admins.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
nepcker said:
yeah, vbulletin and invision boards are relative less spam-affected.

this article is especially written for phpbb admins.
this has nothing to do with which forum u use ... the problem is the same in all softwares and the features talked about are present in all forum softwares ... there is nothing like phpbb is spammed more than vb or ipb ... if we were not to have admins and mods so efficient u wudv known and even senior members know how many spammers this board has come across ... so there is no substance in the statement made by u

OP
nepcker

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
this has nothing to do with which forum u use ... the problem is the same in all softwares and the features talked about are present in all forum softwares ... there is nothing like phpbb is spammed more than vb or ipb ... if we were not to have admins and mods so efficient u wudv known and even senior members know how many spammers this board has come across ... so there is no substance in the statement made by u
No, phpbb is insecure -- bots can easily register there. However, on Invision and some other boards, most of the spammers are only human spammers.

But they are affected too. There's a detailed article at *www.securitywatch.co.uk/forum-spam/how-fight-forum-spamming-222.html

Pathik

Google Bot
Yep... just because phpBB is free and open source doesnt mean that it is insecure... VB and Invision are as vulnerable...

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
nepcker said:
No, phpbb is insecure -- bots can easily register there. However, on Invision and some other boards, most of the spammers are only human spammers.

But they are affected too. There's a detailed article at *www.securitywatch.co.uk/forum-spam/how-fight-forum-spamming-222.html
I don't agree wid this.There are lots of MOD available at phpbb.com with which spams can be easily stoped.

And bots cannot easily register at phpbb forum.And for knowledge phpbb 3 final is going to release with many advance features.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
phpbb 3 is just too cool beta 5 is already out with rc1 expected next (not soon) ... and yeah for all those who think phpbb 2 is insecure i think uv missed phpbb's mod db ... have look there u will know what phpbb is all about

T

thunderbird.117

Wait till you see PHPBB3 final. It rocks. Try the beta. :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom