Fedora Core 5 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Fedora Core 5 Review

Excellent!.

That was the fisrt impresion when I installed FC5. I first upgraded from FC4 and the process was smooth enough. But later, I decided to do a fresh install later. I'm using a lot of repos like rpmforge, freshrpms etc. so It's hard to find broken softwares.

Installation

Fresh install was smooth, took about 30 minutes for a custom install. And the installation was fine, extremely easy for newbies and without any gliches. The only notable difference from earlier installers is the Package Selection. It looks much improved now.

Booting

One notable change in FC5 from FC4 is their change in theme. They have now selected a light (and bright) blue, instead of dark blue in FC4. Fedora seems much brighter now. The same light blue has been used in graphical boot screen too.

The Desktop

The default login screen and desktop is really cool with the new light-blue theme and Fedora bubbles wallpaper.

*img505.imageshack.us/img505/2413/screenshot15or.th.png
The Default Desktop

What's New

There are several additions and enhancements to FC5. Some of them are

PUP and PIRUT

PUP (Package Updater) and PIRUT (Package Install Remove and Upgrade Tool) are two new players of the Software Management in Fedora Core 5, and both use yum as backend.

PIRUT (Add/Remove programs in menu) using yum in backend is an excellent tool. As it uses yum in backend a lot of software that is in the Fedora Extras Repository is available for install (which are not available at the time of install). The only downpoint is that no support for installing software fro CD/DVD is enabled by default. We have to setup a local repo for that. This is bad for newbies those who doesn't have an internet connection or who does not want download packages from internet. But this setup will ensure that you always install the latest version of the software and all the dependancies will be resolved. PIRUT offers two types of view, Catergory wise browsing and All package listing. You can also search for packages.

*img503.imageshack.us/img503/964/screenshotpirut3hv.th.png
PIRUT with Category View

*img505.imageshack.us/img505/3413/screenshotpirut27qy.th.png
PIRUT with List View

PUP (Software Updater in menu) also using yum in backend just updates the packages installed in the system. Unlike yumex, PUP groups similar packages into a single unit. ie, kernel and kernel-devel are grouped into a single unit as "Kernel Updates"

*img505.imageshack.us/img505/3516/screenshotpup3nr.th.png
PUP showing available updates

Beagle

Atlast it's there! The most awaited feature is here in FC5. Beagle is an excellent desktop searching tool. Beagle searches for keywords in your Applications, Documents, Email contacts, IM conversations, Images, Media, Web History and many others.

*img503.imageshack.us/img503/2924/screenshotbeagle6bc.th.png
Beagle in action

F-Spot Photo Manager

F-Spot organizes all your photos and shares it. You can tag your photos, browse them by category, tags, date, Search for photos, and enables you to share the photos.

*img503.imageshack.us/img503/8392/screenshotfspot6ht.th.png
F-Spot Photo Manager

Ekiga

Ekiga is full-featured SIP and H.323 compatible VoIP, IP-Telephony and Videoconferencing application that allows you to make audio and video calls to remote users with SIP and H.323 hardware or software. It supports voice conference with Google Talk and video conference with Skype users.

Gparted

Gparted is included in the core packages. Gparted is an excellent frontend fro the CLI parted. Gparted allows to add, delete, copy, move and resize partitions.

There are several numerous new packages available, listing all of them are out of the scope of this article. You must check the release notes for more details.

Enhancements and Latests

Fedora Core 5 includes the bleeding edge technologies. It includes the latest version of almost all available softwares like kernel-2.6.15, GNOME-2.14, KDE-3.5, Firefox and Thunderbird-1.5, Rhythmbox-0.9.3, Gstreamer-0.10 etc.,

GNOME-2.14

Hmmmm... what to say ? The nearly perfect Desktop Environment. Light, Fast, Simple and Clean. yelp, gnome-terminal etc has several enhancements and have noticable progress in terms of speed. Nautilus has improved, Screensavers are pretty nice, and have several additional panel applets.

Nautilus the file manager has several features built-in, the most notable being the integrated search. Users are now able to search within the folders by just pressing F3 from nautilus

*img505.imageshack.us/img505/4387/screenshotnautilussearch9qx.th.png
Integrated search in nautilus

KDE-3.5

I don't like KDE, and I usually doesn't install it. So I can't comment on KDE and KDE Apps. Anyway the DE with more fans should be better.

Firefox, Thunderbird

FC5 ships with the latest stable release of (arguably) the best browser/email client. Both features incremental updates so no hassles of downloading the full package again.

*img503.imageshack.us/img503/4902/screenshotfirefox5if.th.png
Firefox

Rhythmbox

My faourite FLOSS app just got better. Rhythmbox 0.93 (Audio Player in menu) rocks. Bundled with the latest gstreamer-0.10 as backend, rhythmbox provides an excellent way to manage, organize and play my audio files.

The latest version supports Online radio and Podcasts. It has 4 new Playlists by default in the Source pane. Queued songs (for queing up songs to current playlist), Recently Added, Recently Playe and My Top Rated. Rhythmbox supports both manual and automatic playlists. This version has a new look gui arrangement, which looks much better from the previous version. This version has also Audioscrobbler plugin inbuilt.

*img505.imageshack.us/img505/6438/screenshotrhythmbox6ey.th.png
The Brand New Rhythmbox

This version too lacks mp3 support due to patend issues. This can be resolved by installing gstreamer-plugins-ugly

GCJ and Eclipse

FC5 ships with the new GCJ and the best IDE for Java, Eclipse. But the default GCJ has some issues with azureus, the only java app I'm using, especially with some plugins like Speed Scheduler. So I settled with Sun Java SDK and NetBeans IDE

Multimedia

Still lacks support for various multimedia types due to patend issues. Totem, the default movie player of GNOME still doesn't play many file types. So I installed VLC, Mplayer and Xine with various codecs.

Extras

The new Add/Remove Software (PIRUT) with yum in backend is an excellent way to add numerous software into the box. The fedora extras has some excellent software collections like alacarte menu editor, gdesklets, blender, bittorrent, azureus, drivel, d4x, gcfilms, audacity, easytag, gnomebaker, kino and many more.

Conclusion

*img503.imageshack.us/img503/4107/screenshotdesktop3ys.th.png
My Fedora Core 5 Desktop, after customization

Fedora Core 5 is a near perfect Desktop OS, and ofcourse Server too. Though some minuses like lack of inbuilt multimedia support, which can be resolved with a few mouse clicks, this distribution rocks. The defaults SELinux and iptables ensures maximum security. Fedora stands in between complete geek distos like debian and gentoo and complete n00b distros like SuSE and Mandriva, offerring features of both. The latest release of Fedora, Fedora Core 5, codenamed Bordeaux, is worth a try for people falls into both categories, geeks and n00bies.

Have your say too, if anyone installed already.

borg

In the zone
There are a few downsides to FC5

1. As has been mentioned installing software from CDs is not supported by default. This is absolutely ridiculous & stupid to say the least. I don't know what they were thinking.

2. The installer doesn't tell you how many disks are needed before writing to the disk as was the case in earlier FC4.

3. CD autorun is a nice touch.

Overall a very good OS. Highly recommended for everyone.

OP
desertwind

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
@ your point 1 is clearly a downside for fc5. I've already sent the suggestions to the wiki and devel team.

I've installed from DVD media, so i don't know about the issue no. 2

@naveen: the overall gnome speed is improved. Especially yelp. Earlier it take ages to load yelp if we accidentally click F1. Gnome-Terminal has also improved in means of speed.

And GNOME uses much lesser resources when compared to FC4.

One more difference is that FC5 doesn't use permanent mount points for removable media. No entries in fstab or mtab. It mounts dynamically now. If your disk title is "ThinkDigitDVD" it mounts to /media/ThinkDigitDVD. So no more mount /dev/cdrom commands. commandline users must use gnome-mount for same.

There are some other issues too. Like the one with Trash. I'm trying to track it down. Will post more details when i get.

praka123

left this forum longback
nice riyaz.but u mean no /etc/fstab entries for any?..also any news about AIGLX thing..rpms are on the cd/dvd or not?am very eager since i've got a 915GV card

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Nice review, the upgrades look good.

Btw - Does FC5 support NTFS read by default or is there still a legal problem among them?

kato

Karthiksn
MAn DW great review as i still havent been able to download it and i am really getting frustrated for that. After i get it i am gonna torture you again for many questions as i will be trying to customize it unlike ubuntu

naveenchandran

In the zone
@Qwerty I don't think so....

Some Links FC5

Fedora Core 5 Linux Installation Notes
by Stanton Finley

Fedora Core 5 Tips and Tricks (v0.3)

:D

OP
desertwind

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
One bug is confirmed for GNOME 2.14, which is present in FC5. If you have multiple partitions, the GNOME trash wont monitor the trash can for the partitions other than / or /home.

Solution:
Disable SELinux for hal daemon in Security Level configuration.

@QWERTY: you sould install ntfs kernel module for ntfs read support.

@kato: anytime

One more great link similar to that one from Stanton Finley

Personal Fedora Core 5 Installation Guide

aakash

Broken In
I am totally new to linux. What would be the minimum config req for FC5? I have 2.8HT 865GBF M/B and 512 (400MHz) RAM. would that suffice?

nach p

Journeyman
@Aakash

Your sys. config. is more than sufficent for FC5 or any other distro. of Linux so dont worry.
It can be install on 386 or 486 processors with minimal ram.But today with all graphic development and heavy packages min.256MB ram is required to run smoothly.

Btw as you are new, browse the open source section and read sticky questions so u will get more idea.

eNjoy Linux

aakash

Broken In
One more thing, I read in some sections that if you are new to linux, mandrake or ubuntu is the best, so what now? fedora, mandrake or ubuntu? P.S: I want to learn Linux as well as enjoy with its GUI.

nach p

Journeyman
@ Aakash
Link given below may help you in finding your answer.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36717

Btw i will give 1st preference to FC5 and then Ubuntu becoz u mentioned that u wanna learn Linux.

adit_sen

In the zone
hmmm. fc5 sounds good. i have the distro on my desk at the moment but am still wondering if i should give it a go. fc4 didnt go all the smooth on my laptop, and the only distro so far which is working good for me is mandrake 9.2. unfortunately, its quite an old distro and getting updates are not easy.
so i'm wondering if the problems i had with fc4 (lan, usb, sound) will be resolved in fc5...

aakash

Broken In
My Questions:
1)How do I set up an internet connection in FC5? it asked me during the installation but I didnt remember my DNS settings... so just left them blank. Gave me a warning and I went ahead. Now I want to put the settings, where should I go? Please help.
2)Even if i create a dir by mkdir on the desktop, thru terminal, it doesnt show up. What is the problem?
3)Is there anything like MyComputer in FC5? If it is 'Computer' in FC5 then why does not it open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom