Fedora 9 / bootpart issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
i installed fedora 9 on my system , chose the boot loader to install into first sector of boot partition (/) ,so i can use bootpart to use it..
now the problem is i cant configure how to set it up..

my drives are--
/ 13.54gb
and /home 9.77gb
swap is 2gb

i tried various settings but it didnt work..

here's bootpart screenie--
*img233.imageshack.us/img233/2359/bootpartfp5.jpg

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
aah dude, why ppl mess with the boot loader... the installer doesn't disturb windows. insert your f9 dvd, choose rescue mode, then type 'linux rescue'

it will leave you to a shell prompt.....

then type 'chroot /mnt/sysimage'

then type 'grub-install /dev/sda'

this should install grub to the first partition on the MBR of the first hdd

praka123

left this forum longback
well,in that case,you have to ask windows guys to how to add Linux to windows boot menu.
also,there are few 3rd party boot loaders too.

the best IMO is to install grub,make vista and xp boot options.
if you prefer to boot into xp,no problem grub got that option too!without showing grub menu,grub can boot into xp/vista .
For that you have to use "hiddenmenu" option with time out to be 3sec rightly.
if you want at the moment to boot into Linux,no problem,press ESC key and grub menu will appear :)

I think Fedora by default has "hiddenmenu" option albeit set for "fedora" to boot as default :)

OP
N

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
ok .. but what if my windows xp gets corrupt (no i m not talking abt that due to linux)? will my linux go kaput too?

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
I did a few searches and found these

*my.opera.com/lamdaiphong/blog/2007/11/21/how-to-use-windows-vista-s-boot-manager-to-boot-linux

*port25.technet.com/archive/2006/10...th-BitLocker-Protection-with-TPM-Support.aspx

For your other question, if your Windows goes kaput, no worries, just install Windows normally and the MBR will get overwritten with Windows. Linux is still there except its entry has been cleared from the MBR by the Windows installation. All you need to do is as said by The_Unknown above, to restore GRUB on the MBR.

praka123

left this forum longback
well,Linux dont cause ur winblows to corruput :lol: ,unless may be using ntfs-3g?? driver for writing to ntfs partitions :)

the best option imo,is to use grub with hiddenmenu,it is almost the same as if booting directly into xp.
BTW why vista?

praka123

left this forum longback
well,the options are given by me and hitboxx.
getting corrupted by ntfs-3g and fuse is got little chance.you may not worry.anyways after 4-5 months windows got this phenomenon called "windows rot" ,so anyways reinstalling winblows is there! :lol:
*www.theopensourcery.com/wordp1/index.php?p=400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom