ExtraTorrent Shuts Down For Good

billubakra

Conversation Architect
In a surprise move, ExtraTorrent decided to shut down today, for good.

Users who access the site’s homepage are welcomed by a short but clear message, indicating that the popular torrent index will not return (the message appears intermittently).

“ExtraTorrent has shut down permanently.”

“ExtraTorrent with all mirrors goes offline.. We permanently erase all data. Stay away from fake ExtraTorrent websites and clones. Thx to all ET supporters and torrent community. ET was a place to be….”

TorrentFreak reached out to ExtraTorrent operator SaM who confirmed that this is indeed the end of the road for the site.

“It’s time we say goodbye,” he said, without providing more details.

*torrentfreak.com/images/extratorrentdown.png
With ExtraTorrent’s demise the BitTorrent community has lost yet another prominent player. Whether this also means the end of associated release groups, such as EtHD and ettv, remains to be seen.

ExtraTorrent was founded in November 2006, at a time when sites such as TorrentSpy and Mininova were dominating the landscape. Nonetheless, ExtraTorrent was determined to develop an audience of its own.

The site went on to outgrow many of its predecessors and with millions of daily visitors, ExtraTorrent ended up as the second largest torrent site, trailing only behind The Pirate Bay.

The site’s popularity placed it in the crosshairs of various entertainment industry groups in recent months. These outfits regularly pressured hosting companies and domain name services to take action.

It’s unclear whether legal pressure had anything to do with the decision to shut down, but that wouldn’t come as a surprise.

ExtraTorrent is the latest in a series of BitTorrent giants to fall in recent months. Previously, sites including KickassTorrents, Torrentz.eu, TorrentHound and What.cd went offline.

Update: We were informed by SaM that ExtraTorrent’s release group ETRG is gone now.

“Ettv and Ethd could remain operational if they get enough donations to sustain the expenses and if they people handling it ready to keep going,” we were told.

ExtraTorrent Shuts Down For Good - TorrentFreak

Are there any good alternatives which lists torrents category wise like ET?

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
gone for good!

Is streaming the only future for less popular contents?!
With both paid and unpaid version of multiple streaming service in offering, torrent looks like having a slow death.

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Looks like more and more illegal torrent trackers are getting shutdown.

Does this mean that legal trackers can now take the lead?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Instead of making streaming services better, entertainment industries still targeting torrent sites.

I myself and many friends included moved to steam like platform for games. The only fact why we still didn't move to legal source of entertainment is, the lack of good providers. Players like Netflix needs regional pricing.

They can take out torrent sites but they can't kill torrents.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
it was already dead for bsnl subscriber like me. torrent sites are blocked. had to use tor browser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Bill to Ban VPNs & Unmask Operators Submitted to Russia's Parliament - TorrentFreak

War is still on..

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Moved all posts related to streaming discussion here:
Alternate ways to stream content and torrents

Please post only Extra torrent or "torrent sites getting down" related discussions here.

Thanks rhitwick for the suggestion.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
The resurrected site is saying that they have gone underground and telling people to download a binary to access it. I am pretty sure that it is a spyware/adware. What do you think?

ExtraTorrent is going Underground
Download our free binary client.

After the shutdown of Kickass Torrents and Torrentz.eu the team of ExtraTorrents.cd has decided to move to underground. If you want to be part of the new ET underground community and get our newest torrents of movies, games, applications, xxx and other stuff, you are welcome to join our free binary community! All you have to do is downloading this client. Install it and enter a valid mail adress, free mails like gmail work fine. You will then receive your free login information instantly.

Stay away from fake ExtraTorrent websites and clones.

*extratorrents.cd/img/logo.gif
Thx to all ET supporters and torrent community.

June 1th, 2017
ExtraTorrents.cd – The World's Largest BitTorrent System

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I'll say wait one month before accessing it. Check torrent freak in between to get updates on extra torrent.
You may get updates on it's authenticity in the mean time.

Top Bottom