External HDD 1TB

akhilc47

Journeyman
Hey,
I'm looking to buy a 1TB external hdd for my dell laptop. I searched couple of online sites and price is generally between 4.8-5.7k roughly. WD and Seagate has got nice reviews.Which one should I go for? Is there much difference between them? Also what speed can I expect from USB 3.0? I've the usb 3.0 ports btw. Is it ok if I keep them connected all the time? because I'll be sharing files in local lan. Thank you for reading.

gameranand

Living to Play
Get WD Elemets or WD Passport. Both are good but suffers with some speed loss but have very good ASS. If you can compromise on ASS then you can go for Segate GoFlex also which gives better speeds. :)

tkin

Back to school!!
Go for either WD or Seagate, both their warranty terms are same for external drives and while WD is a bit more reliable seagate is a bit more faster.

mitraark

Decrepit
I bought the Buffalo Ministation for Rs 4700, i admit i bought it because its the cheapest, but i think the device is as good as Seagate and WD ones, Read Write speed ~ 80MB/s on USB3.0, light is blue on USB3 and green on USB2, cable length is 1 foot, a bit longer than what WD/Seagate gives.

tkin

Back to school!!
I bought the Buffalo Ministation for Rs 4700, i admit i bought it because its the cheapest, but i think the device is as good as Seagate and WD ones, Read Write speed ~ 80MB/s on USB3.0, light is blue on USB3 and green on USB2, cable length is 1 foot, a bit longer than what WD/Seagate gives.
Try getting a rma, my friend bought a buffalo external dvd writer, he threw under the hoofs of a buffalo 6 months later.

OP
akhilc47

akhilc47

Journeyman
Guys,
Thanks for your replies.
What do you mean by 'ASS'? I didn't get it and googling was not very helpful with this word. Anyway WD passport is priced at 5.6k at Flipkart. Does it have anything more than WD Elements? Also Goflex is not there in FK. I need good speed so I'm leaning to Goflex now. Is it of the same price range?

OP
akhilc47

akhilc47

Journeyman
On a second reading After Sale Service? That's pretty important for me. Don't want to take risk. I'll buy either Essential or Passport :)

mitraark

Decrepit
Yes I really have no clue about Buffalo Service center, although they are a reputed brand, and it gave 3 years warranty compared to 1 year from Seagate, although , hopefully i'll never have to use it .

Top Bottom