Ejecting USB HDD in Windows 7 does not stop it from spinning

R2K

In the Zone
i have an LG XG1 2TB which i brought recently. The HDD need external power input for it to work and is connected to PC by a USB 2.0 cable.

The problem is even if i eject the HDD after using the safely remove hardware option the HDD still spins after showing " It is safe to remove the removable device" message....
Why is this happening ...?:-(
And this problem occurs both in XP and windows 7

nileshmore

Right off the assembly line
do not cut-off the power after clicking safe to remove hardware option. HDD takes a bit of time(approx 1 min) to stop the rotation of disc. Once disc stops, you can cut off the power of HDD.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
i have an LG XG1 2TB which i brought recently. The HDD need external power input for it to work and is connected to PC by a USB 2.0 cable.

The problem is even if i eject the HDD after using the safely remove hardware option the HDD still spins after showing " It is safe to remove the removable device" message....
Why is this happening ...?:-(
And this problem occurs both in XP and windows 7
Happens in my Seagate drive (USB powered) too when I use Windows. This is normal in Windows. I usually prefer unplugging it after 3-4 minutes when it stops spinning.

OP
R2K

R2K

In the Zone
do not cut-off the power after clicking safe to remove hardware option. HDD takes a bit of time(approx 1 min) to stop the rotation of disc. Once disc stops, you can cut off the power of HDD.

Happens in my Seagate drive (USB powered) too when I use Windows. This is normal in Windows. I usually prefer unplugging it after 3-4 minutes when it stops spinning.

Are you guys sure that the HDD will stop spinning after approx 5 minutes after ejecting from safe hardware removal option...because as i said before the HDD needs external power input for it to work and there is also a power on/off switch on the side of the unit.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you guys sure that the HDD will stop spinning after approx 5 minutes after ejecting from safe hardware removal option...because as i said before the HDD needs external power input for it to work and there is also a power on/off switch on the side of the unit.
Mine is a USB powered Hard disk. The light still glows and it stops spinning after 2-3 minutes when I use Windows.

Whereas in Mac, it immediately stops spinning and the light goes off too.

nileshmore

Right off the assembly line
@R2K, I am using Segate external powered HDD (I guess same as ico) and it does stops spinnig after 2 or 3 mins. I have used both Windows XP and Windoes 7 and ithe scenario is same with 7 and XP

OP
R2K

R2K

In the Zone
^^
is there a power switch (on/off) on your HDD..
is it safe to just switch off the power from the main power outlet without using the switch on the hdd after ejecting from windows

Top Bottom