EA stops selling physical copy of games for PC gamers

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
You will no longer be able to buy EA PC games in Indian stores

EA has given up on PC gamers in India and will no longer be selling physical copies of PC games here, according to a report by Indian Video Gamer. Indian PC gamers who’d like to play upcoming EA titles such as FIFA 15 and Dragon Age: Inquisition will only be able to get those games from Origin, EA’s digital distribution service, at the same price as American buyers. However, according to the IVG story, EA will continue to sell physical copies of its games for all the consoles in India.

EA has had a hate-hate relationship with Indian gamers for a while now, especially those who’ve picked the PC as their platform for gaming. It was the first major video game publisher with a full fledged Indian distribution network to hike prices of PC games by a whopping 133% to bring them to the same level as the U.S. Its main Indian distributor, Milestone Interactive, had defended the price hike stating that it was acceptable to charge a ‘premium’ price for PC gaming, since it was a ‘premium’ experience.

While I can’t predict the future, as hard as I may try, I can hazard a guess that this won’t really help in ramping up the popularity of EA’s PC games in India since Origin isn’t a much loved service to begin with. With new games measuring upwards of 20GBs per download, not having the choice to conserve your download limit by buying the game physically, will also hurt gamers here. Also, it will give a considerable boost to piracy numbers, all of which show EA’s strategy in very ridiculous light. All in all, a dismal announcement for everyone concerned.
Source: Indian Video Gamer

Source: You will no longer be able to buy EA PC games in Indian stores | Digit.in

A backward step from EA.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Re: EA stops selling physical copy of gamers for PC magers

A retarded step from EA.

I own Mirror's edge on Origin but I refuse to download with shitty ass 256 kilobytes/second through origin .. Id rather download the pirated torrents where peak reaches ~800 kilobyte/second..

and what about those minority indian legit gamers that dont have the bandwidth to download via DRM ? EA just said **** you to them ?

LOL, its like they WANT us to pirate their games

gameranand

Living to Play

If piracy is what they want then I'll give it to them. Sorry EA I'll play DA:I but won't buy it, like ever.
I did bought DAO after playing it for around 900 hrs but not anymore. My money don't belong to EA, no matter how good is the game. :evil:

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member

EA is getting worse every time first the pricing, now no physical copies. If this crap strategies continue EA will soon bankrupt.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

EA is getting worse every time first the pricing, now no physical copies. If this crap strategies continue EA will soon bankrupt.

You think EA is generating profits only because of India? EA might loose some shares, but definitely not going to bankrupt.

But seriously, stopping to sell physical copies? That is the most absurd decision I ever heard.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz

not as long as they keep releasing a "new" fifa every year with updated roster list :p

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!

This is bad. But in fact, my last 3 purchases were all digital, and of course the *snort* versions.

So one can't pre-order from Flipkart now?

gameranand

Living to Play

This is bad. But in fact, my last 3 purchases were all digital, and of course the *snort* versions.

So one can't pre-order from Flipkart now?

Nope, I don't think so, coz they sell physical copies of the games not the digital ones.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin

yep. sorry to say but piracy is the only viable option in India. It's not the cost of the games, it's the cost of the internet. It's not like Gamer's are pirates, they respect devs so much that seen many pay for the game - then pirate it. A single good title is about half the monthly usage limit for most. It's like India is in a special time warp stuck in the stone age. Acche din.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku

I own Mirror's edge on Origin but I refuse to download with shitty ass 256 kilobytes/second through origin .. Id rather download the pirated torrents where peak reaches ~800 kilobyte/second..

and what about those minority indian legit gamers that dont have the bandwidth to download via DRM ? EA just said **** you to them ?

LOL, its like they WANT us to pirate their games

I get better speeds on origin than steam :| ~1.2MBps on origin and ~0.9MBps on steam.

iittopper

Wise Old Owl

If piracy is what they want then I'll give it to them. Sorry EA I'll play DA:I but won't buy it, like ever.
I did bought DAO after playing it for around 900 hrs but not anymore. My money don't belong to EA, no matter how good is the game. :evil:

Wow 900 hours for DAO ? awesome . Skyrim is my favourite game of all time and still i have only played it for like 150 hours .

Origin shows FAKE speed. :|

Well not fake , but since they shows the game size and not installation size , people think they are getting more speed in origin .

Well i am not taking side of EA but this is just business . When they set the price @999 for every game to attract more people here in india , they didn't got the result . And there was also the risk of foreign exploitation of cheap price games here . But yeah , this really sucks . Well no option left except for Origin mexico .

gameranand

Living to Play

Yes they download 15 GB and show that they are Downloading 27 GB. I'll count it as fake and cheat.

rajatGod512

N00B Troller

FACEPALM at thread title ... EA stops selling physical copy of gamers :? :twisted: for PC magers

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

FACEPALM at thread title ... EA stops selling physical copy of gamers :? :twisted: for PC magers

That's on purpose. That's to show how raged "Gamers" are with this move from EA.
Anyway, reported to fix the title.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
you know what
I don't see any justification for any company to sell physical media any more at all. As physical media costs less than digital distribution, there is some major problem somewhere, digital distribution is not serving the purpose it was introduced for in the first place.
The problem is not with EA, it is with us.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
you know what
I don't see any justification for any company to sell physical media any more at all. As physical media costs less than digital distribution, there is some major problem somewhere, digital distribution is not serving the purpose it was introduced for in the first place.
The problem is not with EA, it is with us.

It needs more explanation. You mean all those gamers buying "physical" and original copies of the game is bad?
I read in someone's signature a long time back "Stop piracy, steal original disks". What that's suppose to mean then? :/