E-mail, photo programs stripped from Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Source

Microsoft has decided that Windows 7 won't include built-in programs for e-mail, photo editing, and movie making, as was done with Windows Vista, CNET News.com has learned.

The software maker included Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Mail, and Windows Movie Maker as part of Vista, but later chose to offer separate downloadable Windows Live programs that essentially replaced those components with versions that could connect to online services from Microsoft and others.

Microsoft told CNET News late Monday that it has decided to remove those features entirely from Windows 7 and instead offer only the service-connected Windows Live versions as optional free downloads. Earlier on Monday, Microsoft had declined to say how it was handling things.

In a follow-up interview on Monday, Windows Live general manager Brian Hall said Microsoft made the decision to remove the tools from Windows for several reasons, including a desire to issue new operating system releases more quickly than it has in the past. The move also removes the confusion of offering and supporting two different programs that perform essentially similar functions.

"It makes it much cleaner," Hall said.

Lastly, he said, making the Windows Live tools completely separate from the operating system paves the way for Microsoft to work selectively with specific partners.

"We can do things with specific partners to enable really great experiences that might be hard in Windows," Hall said.

Antitrust rules make it hard for Microsoft to tie operating system features to specific services.

Microsoft last week rolled out the latest "Wave 3" releases of its Windows Live programs, adding Windows Live Movie Maker to the mix of programs, which includes Windows Live Photo Gallery and Windows Live Mail as well as blogging tool Windows Live Writer and instant messaging program Windows Live Messenger. While Windows XP and earlier releases had an instant messaging program built in, Microsoft took out that feature in Windows Vista.

Hall said it was too soon to say if the "Wave 4" release would precede Windows 7 or be coincident to it. Microsoft has said it will have Windows 7 on the market by January 2010, while CEO Steve Ballmer has said he is pushing for a release next year.

"We'll do Wave 3 and then we'll figure it out," Hall said.
It remains to be seen just how Microsoft will distribute the Windows Live programs in conjunction with Windows 7-based PCs.

Presumably the company could strike deals with computer makers or retailers to include the software, or links to download it.

Now we all know that like always Microsoft will be bashed by Linux & Mac camp saying "Windows 7 doesn't comes even with a Mail Client or Photo Manager out of the box" but here is the thing. Microsoft has so far been bombarded with comments of being Monopolistic & anti-competitive but with this move 3rd party developers will have nothing to say.

With Windows 7 all MS has to do is to give a link to Windows Live Services Home page to download all the stuff people need cos internet is everywhere. You can also download the full installer in a Cyber Cafe, bring it to home & install it.

Besides, updating Windows Live Photo Gallery is faster then updating Windows Photo Gallery (Example). The combination of Live Services & integration with Windows is the right thing Microsoft is doing. All your data is stored on your hard disk as well as the cloud.

Besides, for my use...Windows Live Mail Desktop was always better then Windows Mail & Windows Live Writer is much better then even MS Word only when it comes to blog posting.

Last edited:

chandru.in

In the zone
You can also download the full installer in a Cyber Cafe, bring it to home & install it unlike Linux.
What was the need to bring Linux into picture and force another OS war? :shock:

@Mods

If this thread turns into a war, please note this is the root cause and not Linux/FOSS supporters. :rolleyes:

Note: The OP has edited his post after my comment on it. Thanks, GX for listening to me. :) However, I will not remove my reply as the specific issue I mention here has occurred several times and needs to be noted by other members.

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
What was the need to bring Linux into picture and force another OS war? :shock:

@Mods

If this thread turns into a war, please note this is the root cause and not Linux/FOSS supporters. :rolleyes:
Prevention is better than Cure!
good you spotted spark early before it could turn into flame and lead to flame wars;)

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Shipping without the Email and photo management softwares is not a bad idea since MS also need to fight the antitrust issues in several countries. But users without a interent connection might suffer for not having the default programs already installed in a clean installation of Windows 7. MS may also add the live program installers in the installation media itself, like they added .NET framework installer into the Windows XP CD.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
why do tehy want to integrate everything with thier online service which compared to thier competitors are really poor

Finally they took this step!! I am glad. I dont understand what is the purpose of having two software on my PC that perform the same function. I was wondering why Windows Live programs dont replace the older ones that come with Windows Vista during installation. Now it will much more cleaner.

The idea of carrying the installer offline on the Windows DVD is a good idea as people without internet can use it. And whenever they get online, the components can always be updated. Although, if its considered that Internet is available to most of the people using Windows, then it doesn't make that much sense. But ya, they should continue giving the offline installers. If i had to do a reinstall of Windows while i am on the move (i always keep my essential install disks with me) with a slow GPRS connection, i would not like to download the software online. I would rather prefer to install whatever version i have and use it and then update it later when full connectivity is available.

x3060

A LOTR fan
finally am glad...now if only they could entirely remove movie maker and photo viewer,all the rest of craps...
just giving barebones is enough for me.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
finally am glad...now if only they could entirely remove movie maker and photo viewer,all the rest of craps...
just giving barebones is enough for me.

Just giving the kernel without all those craps will be better naa ? :rolleyes:

I think the problem with windows is wierd, from my own experience. As you use it (under normal use), windows becomes more and more sluggish with time and its speed is affected by fragmentation. MS needs to do something about that, rather than just delay the inevitable.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
From what I think it will have the Live installer in it for people wanting to install the Live stuff. Not really sure if it will be shipped without all of this, it would be one edition like Win 7 Basic that won't have all this.

Even movie Maker won't be a part of Windows, it's gonna be the Live Movie Maker that will in all probability replace it.

jal_desai

In the zone
^^ i think it is useless and probably kiddish to give live installer (setup). if this is the case then they should make it already installed. and even Microsoft is pissed of with its own varieties of Vista. so i think there will be hardly two versions of Win7.
ya i too believe tht Movie Maker wont be a part of it. Microsoft must have known by now that not everyday a regular user will make a movie of his own.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
^^ i think it is useless and probably kiddish to give live installer (setup). if this is the case then they should make it already installed. and even Microsoft is pissed of with its own varieties of Vista. so i think there will be hardly two versions of Win7.
ya i too believe tht Movie Maker wont be a part of it. Microsoft must have known by now that not everyday a regular user will make a movie of his own.

I would advice not to speculate anything as of now.

lolololol

I just wanna see that they live up to the 15s boot up and 2 min installation time
Forget 2min install time - thats not happening unless you have a high speed Solid State Drive and and a SSD install media instead of optical media :lol:

And I doubt MS can ever offer 15s boot time, despite the fact that there are lots of Distros out there offering it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom