"DVD Jon" Cracks iPhone Activation, Kinda

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
some thing that we have been trying to make others undersatnd that no peice of code is the most secure and can be 'cracked' ...

"DVD Jon" lets iPhone owners use the iPod and WiFi features before activating the phone

Jon Lech Johansen, known as "DVD Jon," reportedly cracked the Apple iPhone activation, allowing users to activate the phone without having an AT&T contract. The crack allows users to use the iPod and Wi-Fi features of the phone, but users cannot make phone calls.

The accomplishment came via a blog post entitled "iPhone Independence Day," which can be found on Johansen's blog. "I've found a way to activate a brand new unactivated iPhone without giving any of your money or personal information to AT&T," the hacker boasts. "So sue me," he added.

Johansen's blog has the necessary application and directions posted for users to download and view. The Windows workaround is a "Phone Activation Server v1.0" patch -- users must have Microsoft .NET 2.0 installed to implement the patch.

Johansen is best known for cracking the encryption code used on DVDs.

Several other methods of activating the iPhone have also been published on the Internet since the phone's release on Friday, June 29.

Source ... cheer up arya

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
the day is not far when the network/service provider lock is broken too! it'll soon be available in the grey market. apple shud've anticipated this and unlocked it by default. they'll lose a huge amount due when it begins to be available in grey market.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
If I can get this for 15k in gray market without any phone capability, i will buy on day 1. cos then it will be the best PMP out there.

Well, since it won't be available at such a low price, oh well....iRiver Clix 2 or W960I still rox.,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom