Dual-Booting WIndows 7 and Ubuntu 12.10 from different HDDs

debarshi

Otaku
Hello,

I have a spare 80GB HDD lying aroung, and I thought of a dual-boot setup.
I just want to clarify a few things........
1.My primary(1TB) HDD will contain Windows 7 and secondary will contain Ubuntu, and I want to dual boot. how will I do this?
2.If I ever want to remove Ubuntu, will it affect my Windows 7, boot or whatever, anything?

And will my GFX card (HD 7750) cause any driver problems with Ubuntu???

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
1. Just install ubuntu in that 80GB HDD, and then you can use two OS via GRUB bootloader (by default) or you can add ubuntu to windows bootloader (you will be needing 3rd party software for this)
2. Won't be a problem AFAIK. My sis have 6950 crossfire with her ubuntu and it works just fine.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Install Ununtu or any other linux distro.
2. To get back the windows Default boot menu - use install disc and select start up repair - this should remove the boot loader of linux OS and boot straight into windows.
3. Install EasyBCD - use it to add your preferred linux distro into windows boot loader ( make sure you select the HDD partitions carefully ).
4. You are good to go.

If you need to remove the linux distro from HDD just remove it from within windows and remove the linux OS entry from windows boot loader using EasyBCD.

Neo

I'd prefer GRUB.
And the HD7750 might cause some problems in linux, since proper drivers for the hd7xxx series for Linux ate yet to be released (within a month or so). But for normal tasks, the open source drivers should be good enough.

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
No, having Windows 7, I probably wouldn't want to play games in Linux until the driver issues are fixed.......... I have had problems with it before as well with the 9.x issues.

Neo

No, having Windows 7, I probably wouldn't want to play games in Linux until the driver issues are fixed.......... I have had problems with it before as well with the 9.x issues.

Its not " you wouldn't want to play", its " you can't play " :p

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
problem is still three's lots of games which can run only on windows natively but if someone plays only a limited number of games and they have their linux port then they can stick with linux, anyway to try windows games on linux there's not only wine but one can try these as well : Cedega/GameTree/Crossover .

gameranand

Living to Play
How do you know that? Now that Steam is released for Linux, TF2 and some other titles are already available. No harm in playing :p

Because he have Win 7 also as Dual boot so he would rather prefer to play on Windows environment. :)

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
And would there be any conflict if linux was installed on a SSD with Win 7 on HDD (not planning to do that anytime soon), but just asking, in case I dont want to re-install my Win7 right away on the SSD......

Top Bottom