dual boot windows n linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

iinfi

mekalodu
i v 2 PCs ... one windows and one linux.
i now want to dual boot my windows machine having win and linux.
i can do it with GRUB as the boot loader. but later whn i want to delete the linux partition and have jus windows .. my windows will not boot.
so i dont want to use GRUB but instead use the existing bootloader to point to linux also whn i boot. jus like it does whn we dual boot 2000 n xp.
first n foremost.. is it possible?

secondly, here is my existing boot.ini file.
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

and below is an image of the disk management utility. can anyone tell me where my bootloader is? is it in the disk 0 or disk 1?

*img233.imageshack.us/img233/2057/bootloaderfv9.th.jpg*img233.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
thanks .. read it ... will try it tomorrow nite ... meanwhile if i take an Acronis image of my C drive of my windows .. will it restore the boot loader also if i screw up something??
any idea?

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Use SuperGRUB to restore your bootloader fast and easy
*www.supergrubdisk.org/

and that's a very small ISO, 10-20 MB I think

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
this SuperGRUB only restores the linux boot loader. i was asking whether i can restore windows boot loader if i take a Acronis backup?

also is the NTLDR present at the same location as the boot.ini file?? see image in my first post!!

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, if you've deleted the Linux partition through XP and you want the default bootloader of Windows XP back, you can simply boot through the Windows XP installation CD and go to the Recovery Console (by pressing R in the beginning) and type "fixmbr". It will overwrite Grub and restore the original bootloader. :)

NucleusKore

TheSaint
this SuperGRUB only restores the linux boot loader. i was asking whether i can restore windows boot loader if i take a Acronis backup?

also is the NTLDR present at the same location as the boot.ini file?? see image in my first post!!

SuperGRUB also restores the windows bootloader :)

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
thanks ...

added:
is it possible to get a linux rpm driver for DM9601 USB To Fast Ethernet Adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom