Dual Boot trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I installed OpenSUSE 10.3 on my second HDD where I'd left 60GB as RAW partition area for it. Since by Windows side system is not dual-bootable, I manually made my 500GB HDD, having Windows XP on it, as the secondary HDD and Linux one as the primary one.
Now my system boots, GRUB does his thing and I'm presented with 5 options:

1. OpenSUSE 10.3
  2. Windows 1
  3. Windows 2
  4. Windows 3
  5. OpenSUSE 10.3 (FailSafe)
Now option 1 works like it should, same goes for the option 5. When I select option 2 or 3 I get this message:
Bootnoverify(hd0,5)
Chainloader(hd1,1)+1
NTLDR missing
Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to Restart

Now in option 3 I get only the first 2 lines and nothing else. I've understood this much that these first 2 lines are giving info about my HDD and the partitions on them but what I don't get it is that I've installed XP only on C drive in the 500GB HDD and Linux in the seperate 250GB HDD. Why is it showing 3 Windows ? :confused: Also atleast one Windows should work, why isn't it working. Now if I revert back to my old settings, everything works fine and dandy. Help me to migrate on Linux, please brothers!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
post the output of
kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst
kwrite /boot/geub/device.map

Windows is happy to be on first HDD. How stupid. You may have to logically swap the HDDs to make windows wish come true.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I know I'm a n00b in the field of Open Source so no need to remind me of that. All the stuff you have mentioned in to-do list, illustrate it in more simpler terms if you please. :cool:

Rahim

Married!
Here it goes brother. Open a Terminal (DOS like in Linux) and enter these commands :
If using GNOME
Code:
gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
& and if using KDE open a Konsole and enter
Code:
kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst
Plz forgive me of little grey cells that i have , explain the Hard Drive part clearly and in simple words,will you?
Which one is Primary and Slave?

Dont panic, its just the grub entries have been messed up and as soon as you get those o/p posted here we can help rectify that.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I know I'm a n00b in the field of Open Source so no need to remind me of that. All the stuff you have mentioned in to-do list, illustrate it in more simpler terms if you please. :cool:
I meant how stupid for windows :D It like to be installed on first HDD and wouldn't even boot if its on secondary HDD.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I have 4 SATA and 1 IDE port on my motherboard(ASUS P5LD2 VM-SE 945G Chipset).
Anything connected to IDE port is the 1st IDE Master. I've connected my DVD Writer and both HDD to the SATA ports so now the HDD config is like:
3rd IDE Master (My DVD Writer)
3rd IDE Slave (My 250GB HDD with Linux on it)
4th IDE Slave (My 500GB HDD with Windows on it)

Also the command you mentioned is this:
gedit/boot/grub/menu.lst
Well when I type the whole line, message appears saying "No such file was found"
If I just write gedit and press enter, the gedit software opens.
What to do, I'm so confused :confused: I seriously want to move to Linux side and this problem and the Network problem are like 2 tounsils preventing me from doing so. :(

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^there is a space between gedit and the file path :p
you forgot that !

type
you will be in root mode after entering the password

Now
Assuming you have installed windows on first partition of the 500GB drive, add these lines at the very end of the menu.lst file and save(to save the file you need to be in root mode) it then close it.
title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
root (hd3,0)
savedefault
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd3)
map (hd3) (hd0)
chainloader +1

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Brothers (Liquid,Solis,Solidus) this is what I do

1. Go to Gnome Terminal
  2. <my username>@linux-hdla:~>su
  3. Password
  4. linux-hdla:/home/<my username> # gedit/boot/grub/menu.lst
  5. bash: gedit/boot/grub/menu.lst : No such file or Directory
Now tell me where I'm doing wrong and what to do now. BTW I'm trying to learn Linux from some CBTs I downloaded. Moreover going to have it as my 7th Semester subject so want to know it before that i.e. before September. ;)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
.......^^
see the space

or

kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lstmind the gap here too

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Thank You! Thank You! T159, the file opens up but since its Linux, I'm too scared to prod it so before doing those changes which you have mentioned please tell me the way by which I can save that file to a folder other than Grub. I've tried Save As but no fruitful result. Also whenever I try to copy something from one of my Linux partitions to Windows partitions, it tells me that I don't have access to it :confused:

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
To provide access in SUSE 10.3 install ntfs-3g drivers.. Also use the inbuilt partitioner to mount the hDD in /windows/Xyz or /media/sdax !

The files didn't allow you to save becuase you are opening it as normal user.. use su root command :) the follow what said :)

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
OK, I did what T159 said as Root and now I'm getting this message:
Savedefault
Makeactive
Error 12: Invalid Device requested
Press Any Key to Continue.

Also the below attachment contains the original menu.lst file

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^where are the lines which i told you to paste at the end of menu.lst ?

seems like you didnt save it.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
The file is before editing and after editing and saving file in the root mode, I got the aforementioned error when I booted. If you want then I can upload the edited file too for comparison sake.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Here's the menu.lst file modified as told by T159. If I've done something wrong please forgive me and tell me the solution.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
if the partition is 1st then the below value in root(hd2,0) is 0, if its 2nd then root(hd2,1) and so on.
And HDD numbring starts from 0 so hd0 is first HDD, hd1 is second
similarly first partition on hd0 is represented as hd0,1
I hope you can try the combos now for the template I provided, remember linux is about learning.

k tell me the partition(remember 1st partition is 0 in the value after comma in root(,)) on which you installed windows in 500GB drive and it comes at 4th palce in BIOS entry including an IDE drive that takes the 1st place (so counting from 0- assigned to IDE HDD, 1-assigned to DVD Drive, 2-assigned to 250 GB HDD and 3-assigned to 500GB HDD). If you have no IDE drive then probably hd3 will be hd2, edit that too then.

root (hd3,1)
savedefault
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd3)
map (hd3) (hd0)
chainloader +1
and remember to provide a space between two partition Grub entries.
like this

title Failsafe -- openSUSE 10.3
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-31-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3160215AS_9RA520LZ-part6 vga=normal showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.5-31-default

root(hd3,0)
savedefault
makeactive
map(hd0)(hd3)
map(hd3)(hd0)chainloader+1

Last edited:
OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
In my Windows setup, the C drive is the one having XP on it bu the D drive is the second HDD partition and remaining E,F and G are again the 500GB partitions but in Linux as these partitions have been permanently mounted so in Windows folder the Window's C drive is the D there and all other are mixed up too. So how to set partitions, acc. to Windows or acc. to Linux?

Rahim

Married!
You have to edit /etc/fstab file to mount Windows partitions in Linux.
Have your boot problem solved? If not give the output of:
1: Open a Konsole and enter su and enter the root password.
2. Now enter fdisk -l and paste it in here.
3. Again sice you are at it, paste whats in /etc/fstab file, gedit /etc/fstab and remember the space after gedit :)

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
But the OpenSUSE OS has created permanent mount points for them, I think because I'm able to access them from File System menu..:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom