Droid versus Ios efficiency.

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
An ordinary non-geek iPhone user cannot transfer files to the phone without iTunes.

iOS is built with the idea that a user shouldn't have to worry about the filesystem. What part of that you *still* don't get?

Oh, btw, do you know with ICS, the filesystem isn't accessible in the same that it used to be with GB & below? Does that make Android "less robust" now?

What a farce. Come up with better arguments than "presence of file managers makes Android more robust". That's the most ridiculous, stupid & laughable thing I've heard.

/Galaxy S2 user.

OP
AndroidFan

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
iOS is built with the idea that a user shouldn't have to worry about the filesystem. What part of that you *still* don't get?

Oh, btw, do you know with ICS, the filesystem isn't accessible in the same that it used to be with GB & below? Does that make Android "less robust" now?

What a farce. Come up with better arguments than "presence of file managers makes Android more robust". That's the most ridiculous, stupid & laughable thing I've heard.

/Galaxy S2 user.

You have lost track of what the entire discussion was originally based on... Go read what I have written in this thread.

Android sacrifices efficiency for flexibility of being on many hardware platforms, different configurations, different chipsets, different resolutions... It s highly customizable without even rooting the device. You can plug and play all your documents, images, videos without the need of a bloated software like iTunes or Zune.

People don't worry about the file system. They need access to it. People have used computers for almost 15 years now, and I don't remember anyone complaining about user accessible file system. It gives you a lot more freedom, which iPhone and WP7 users don't have.

I had a hell of a time transferring videos downloaded on my Dad's iPad on MXTube, or downloading pictures from my sister's Samsung Focus to the PC. In contrast, Android is super easy... drag and drop, Ctrl C. Ctrl V... Nothing can be as intuitive as that...

Add to that, Android has true multitasking, not freeze state like iOS or WP7. In Settings >> Developer Options, you have the option to select how many processes are allowed to run in the background (if you are on ICS). These things consume resources, and so Android may not be as fluid or battery efficient as iOS or WP7 devices. But it is a lot more robust.

That was the entire discussion about... It was not a dick waving fight...

ICS uses MTP to transfer files to the phone internal memory, just like all the other earlier GB phones did. External SD cards are still plug and play. Test it on your Galaxy S2, if you have upgraded to ICS.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^
the file system point is true, but physically being in control of individual files is a traditional approach, than how data works in the iOS ecosystem. But if you get used to it, it has many many features that are absent in android, especially cloud. You click pictures on any one of your devices, they all get stored in the same place, and are accessible on any devices depending on your settings. Your purchases are also locked to the store, so even if you lose all your data, you can get it all back from there. Videos, music are accessible through a variety of options, including sales, podcasts and apps. Apple can automatically handle the data by deleting stuff you have listened/watched, and prompting you to consume the stuff you havent. Documents, notepad files, or other user data also backs up with the cloud, so they can be retrieved from any device easily. This frees up a lot more time to actually do all these things. Also, you need to use a droid with a PC, you can use an iPhone that never ever plugs in to a PC.

droids are not "true multi-taskers" either, they are getting closer and closer to the iPhone version of multi-tasking, especially in Ice cream sandwich
Android now has a process life cycle mechanism that very much mimics apple's approach

noob

Cyborg Agent
You click pictures on any one of your devices, they all get stored in the same place, and are accessible on any devices depending on your settings. Your purchases are also locked to the store, so even if you lose all your data, you can get it all back from there. Videos, music are accessible through a variety of options, including sales, podcasts and apps.

For pics ..its even there in Android...For purchased apps..yes i can install it again on other phones too ..gmail , contacts , my sms...all are in cloud too and can be restored at will. Speaking about music files and vdo's , put it on GDrive or Dropbox.

Android now has a process life cycle mechanism that very much mimics apple's approach
Any detailed explanation ? As far as i know , iOS and WP has almost same process life cycle. (freezing apps etc ) I doubt if you can claim it as copying/mimicking Apple. Infact i would say MS is one who is mimicking Apple way too much..App store via zune...dependency on Zune etc.....

Sujeet

Undead!!!
^^
Microsoft has always tried to Mimic the essence of Apple Products for their Cosumer Services and Products ever since their inception.:wink:

ritvij

rated R
Add to that, Android has true multitasking, not freeze state like iOS or WP7. In Settings >> Developer Options, you have the option to select how many processes are allowed to run in the background (if you are on ICS). These things consume resources, and so Android may not be as fluid or battery efficient as iOS or WP7 devices. But it is a lot more robust.

i have seen you raving about its true multitasking capabilities.. please tell me which app on android takes advantage of this and executes better on it??

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
i have seen you raving about its true multitasking capabilities.. please tell me which app on android takes advantage of this and executes better on it??

*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.xeustechnologies.android.kws&hl=en