Dravid resigns as India captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

A11B1ack

Right off the assembly line
Dravid resigns as India captain
Rahul Dravid has resigned as India captain with immediate effect. In a letter written to the Indian board, he has asked to be relieved of the captaincy before Australia's forthcoming tour of India, beginning later this month.
Niranjan Shah, secretary of the Indian board, said Dravid met Sharad Pawar, the board president, in New Delhi yesterday. "He expressed his desire to step down as captain of the Indian team and requested that he should not be considered for the job from the ensuing Australia series," Shah said.
The board, he said, did not try to dissuade Dravid, who wanted to concentrate on his game. "A player has to decide for himself", Shah said.
Shah told Cricinfo the board would meet within the next two days to appoint the next captain. "We will take a decision very soon." Australia arrive in India on September 25 and the first of seven ODIs is in Bangalore four days later.
Dravid, 33, has captained India in 25 Tests and 79 ODIs. He took over the captaincy from Sourav Ganguly two years ago, following India's tour of Zimbabwe.
Under his captaincy India won eight Tests, including series wins in Pakistan, West Indies, Bangladesh and England.
However, Dravid's form with the bat in Tests seemed to be suffering; he averaged 25 in the Tests against England and 21 in the Tests against South Africa last year.
:!:
*content-ind.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/310880.html

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I don't think India benefitted from his captaincy.
Ganguly should be the new captain.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
resigning after a decent performance will get him some brownie points despite of the WC debacle ... good move by dravid ... and yeah ganguly shud be back ...

ajayritik

Technomancer
Though Dravid is a very good player he was not able to excel as much in captaincy. I admit Ganguly was a better captain and was more aggressive. But I think its time to look ahead. Though we dont have a very strong contender from the new lot but we should look for an young captain thinking about the future.

Hackattack

Multicore Mutant
Dravid should have stayed as Captain IMO, by resigning he showed his weakness, he gave up, Fight until you die.
Dada faced so much down, but he is still in the team strong as before.

karnivore

in your face..
I used to believe that Rahul is a week captain. Now i am convinced, he is a week human being too. He just could not take the stress and strain of captaincy. And in the end he succumbed to it. Well, it was waiting to happen.

Anyway, i don't think it would be a good idea to make Ganguly, the captain. He has, may be, a couple of yrs ahead of him.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
THANKFULLY!!!!!!
Poor fielding changes,aweful batting order,a coward(how bein a senior batsman he used to cum late in the order beyond his org position of 4 and send the young batsman in)..cannot perform under pressure,no attitude
every mix of a downright loser...

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
What ever, but problem is this will create uncertainity... Will devide the team in certain power ends for Players...

For Teams Interest Dravid Should have continued...

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
If BCCI doesnot recruit a young player like Yuvraj as captain then I think we are slimming our chances of winning the next world cup....

clmlbx

Technomancer
Shocked But Right Decision

He Made Right Decision

Ganguly Is Good Captain And Best Option Available To Bcci .

src2206

In the zone
Good decision....he is too of a gentleman to be a good attaking captain....and young players generally do not make good captains, as one requires hell of an experience to captain 11 minds in the field. :)

BTW, clmlbx, statisically (so don't say I'm biased) :), Ganguly IS the best Indian Captain ever

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
I guess the board has contacted sachin and he is upto the job...so its tendu era agin for indian cricket..as fr ganguly..too much politics fr him to be reinstated.

So sachin returs.....i wud originally hav preferred yuvi...a classy player and an extraordinary fielder...much like collingwood...would lift the boys up..

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Now there is ganguly,tendulkar & dhoni on captain's selection list.I think dhoni lacks experience,so he shouldn't be the captain.Ganguly is the ideal choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom