Downloading OpenSUSE 11.1 64-bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
I want to download and install OpenSUSE 11.1 on my computer. I already have the DVD image but it is of December 2008. If I download the image from the Opensuse.org site then will that image contain new softwares like GNOME's new version etc. Because when I install the 'old' Dec 08 image it says that 1.2 GB updates available. I don't wanna download those updates if they already are on the image hosted on the server. Instead I would rather go ahead and download the image itself.

Please help..

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Hi
This is a big problem in openSUSE. This is why I switched to Ubuntu. If you have the 11.1 iso on your hard disk, and if installing from that says 1.2 GB of downloads, then your in for a long update. However there is a difference between the actual download and size on disk. I think what it's showing you is the uncompressed size. Check how many MB has to be downloaded and not how many MB has to be installed.

Instead of using YaST, try zypper. Press Alt and F2, and type gnome-terminal if you are using GNOME or konsole if you are using KDE, and enter the followinf command

sudo zypper up

and press ENTER, provide your root password (if you have set one), or your account password.

If I remember correctly, it should tell you the amount that has to be actually downloaded before you approve.

For further information on zypper please read these two very informative pages

*en.opensuse.org/Zypper/Usage
*en.opensuse.org/Zypper/Changes/11.0

Note that if you use the command sudo zypper modifyrepo -k -a, caching for all your repositories will be enabled. However, I have not been successful in restoring the installing the packages from a stored cache??

Any insights forum members?

OP
hellknight

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Oh yeah.. I forgot about the Zypper.. let me virtualize it and then I'll post the new results..

GigaHeartz

Off the beaten track
I strongly suggest download the new version from the server.. 6 months of updates may have dependies which can break your installation. Better be safe..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom