download speed in LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

manmay

Journeyman
i m sry raj...
will keep that in mind
i have never had ne intention for increasing the posts.

OP
T

taken

Journeyman
hi manmay

i have this comparation:::

i have tried a test download of a file from another computer in LAN over a switch. when copy is in process, kill copy shows a max of 1050 Kbps ( i can assume that this is equivalent to 2 Mbps Max) whereas in the windows network task manager, the graph goes to 90%, i.e in the range of 0% to 100% ( i can assume that this is almost 9 Mbps)

so here come the confusion, the network speed should be of same tranfer speed.

so which one to beleive?? killcopy or window's one.
(config is same as yours)

manmay

Journeyman
check 1:
u r using 10 mbps switches.
as already u hav mentioned that u are using switches then its ok other wise if u r on hubs then performance will not be that good.
check 2
check if u r having a lan connection of 100mbps or 10 mbps. check if the lan wire id cat 5 atleast. and of good quality.
i mentioned smewhere that sometimes even a cat 5 does not support 100 mbps maybe becoz of low grade.

cause the fig 1050 that u hav mentioned is the actualy speed provided by a 10 mbps lan
becoz 10mbps==11mBps(approx)==1200kBps(approx)

as i'm on 100 mbps so == 11MBps
and so i'm getting 9-10 mBps that is the xpected value

if ur windows network usage shows u 90 % and the transfer speed is avg 1050 then i'm sure ur network is 10 mbps.

in my case even while copying a large single file ie sequential packets. my netbandwidth usage graph never toughes 90 % and even though i'm getting 9 mBps avg transfer speed

check 3.
try to arrange a cat5 or cat 6 lan cable crimped as pc to pc
and then connect 2 computers directly without a switcher or a hub.
check the speed.. if still the speed does not icrease then u neeed to update our network drivers.

check 4
also the lenght of the lan cable decreases the performances . but occurs of in the case if the distance fron your switch to you comp is >80 meters

ok that's enuf for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.