Doing MS after BE

Status
Not open for further replies.

hard_rock

Salieri Family
Hello guys.. I've completed my BE and already placed in HCL Technologies.

I'm thinking of doing MS..Which according to you are good universities to study and also please tell me related exams(like GRE,TOEFL).

Shall I go for the company and get some years experience and then do PG or do it now only? Please guide me...

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well ms is done directly after be ... if ur goin to the us then u have to give gre and toefl ;)

reddragon

In the zone
do a 1 or 2 yrs of experience and u will have an edge over the others and if u got a tag like infosys ( very high rated in case of IT , CS ) or L&T ( electrical , mech ) then it will be super .
to study in US , u need to have GRE toefl . I cleared both then I got a chance to study in IITKGP so I didnt went to US , but as u asked the top us universities I am telling u the rank for IT CS here it is like ( actually rank varies year to year )

1. MIT
2. stanford
3. carnigie mellon
4. columbia
5. NYU
6.princeton
7. harbard or harvard i think
8.Yale
9.Duke
10.california state uni

abhra

Broken In
Originslly posted by hard_rock:

I've completed my BE and already placed in HCL Technologies.
Well if you have already completed your BE then you obviously have no other choice than to join HCL Tech. - it's a good company BTW. Contacting foreign colleges, getting their forms, sending them back, sitting for GRE & TOEFL (whewwww) & everything else will take atleast an year. So, right now, HCL is best for you.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
AMDOCS is better wrt to work culture and job given to freshers...atleast better than TCSand infosys...dunno abt HCL

Journeyman
look that depends on how you judge the company .

One way you can judge is the universal way >> better salary better company .
well when you are starting a career you should not concentrate on money.instead try to 'learn' as much as possible .

there are seleral other factors ....say job secuirity , office environment , many many factor exists .

Like I work in a big company.. its ok for me . One of my work-mate is very unhappy because he is sitting idle for months ...i dont know whats the problem but his PM dont give him anything to do .

regarding AMDOCS , its less known company , we dont know much about it . so its illogical to rate with TCS , infi and TCS , infi gives the best oppertunities ... so I think AMODCS may not be that much better again its ur luck .

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
My frnds work at AMDOCS , TCS , Infy and i am telling by talking to them over this matter...i am not that lucky or intellect to work in those company so cant say from personal experience

reddragon

In the zone
for a fresher 22k - 24k is superb , for some big players the fresher's salary has 'decresed' incomparison to purchase power parity . anyway indian giants like wipro provides 16k during training and 18 k when they do job . foreign players provide better salary like SAP provides 4.1 .

anyway soon I will be in different world , gonna do Phd .

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
hard_rock said:
Hello guys.. I've completed my BE and already placed in HCL Technologies.

I'm thinking of doing MS..Which according to you are good universities to study and also please tell me related exams(like GRE,TOEFL).

Shall I go for the company and get some years experience and then do PG or do it now only? Please guide me...
to get admn. for masters in the US u need to appear for gre and toefl.

gre tests ur aptitute and verbal abilities while toefl tests ur english (listening, speaking, understanding, writing etc.).

to get into a good varsity you'll need good scores in gre and need to maintain a good engg. aggregate. a score above 1300 in gre is considered good. you can register gre and toefl at www.ets.org. gre costs $165 and toefl $150. be sure to register for toefl ibt (internet based test). better do it thru credit card otherwise the process can take quite sometime the conventional way (DD etc.).

this is about gre. the next question is what is ur branch of engineering? and in what branch are u planning to pursue ur masters.... since u are placed in hcl it will be helpful to u if u are planning to pursue ur MS in the same field. if not then do not bother telling the varisities (at the time of applying) that u were placed/working in hcl.

as someone said, it takes time to get an admn. after u get ur gre scores it will take at least 5-6 months for all admn. procedures to complete. if u want good scholerships then u need to apply mebbe an year earlier. so after applying you will be free for at least 5 months. u may take up a job in that time.

do pm me for any more details. i'm giving my gre on october 8th this year...

good luck! :)

reddragon said:
for a fresher 22k - 24k is superb
aah.. depends on the field. at least in my colg its a very low pay! thats the minimum salary it services/product/electronics companies are paying who've joined this year (yes, even infy wipro etc.). even non-it companies like Jindal is paying 3.2lakhs per annum (my classmate joined it 2 dayz ago).

reddragon

In the zone
@INFRA_RED_DUDE , i wrote that compared to financial aspect , if you look at the salary structure of indian IT majors , then you will understand that starting with 24k is indeed a good package .

well for freshers salary should be same for all locations for a company . I dont know but one of my wipro friend gets 19k ( excluding QPLC ) .

One of the biggest catch is you can never be sure looking at you CTC that exactly howmuch will be your take home . What I wanted to say is if 24k is the take home for a fresher then its good

Last edited:

shashank_re

In the zone
OFF TOPIC:Oh!MS Ramaiah is an excellent college.Which course was yours?And may i know your CET rank please i dream about joining these "class" colleges of B'lore(like PES,R.V.,MSrit etc.).

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
reddragon said:
What I wanted to say is if 24k is the take home for a fresher then its good
point noted and fully agree wid it! :) that take home is the key word here!

@shashank
i jus got my final sem results.. i'm an engineer now! :) my branch is electrical and electronics. hmmm.. regarding cet and all... every year the situation changes... so u can't be sure of anything now.. plus MSRIT AND RV haf become autonomous now... so that complicates things. jus ensure that u get a rank of under 2700 to get into "high demand" branches in these colleges.

Pathik

Google Bot
well my friend got into Amdocs.. He had also been approved for tcs and infy but he prefered amdocs.. Btw all 3 offer abt 3.6lacs p.a in my coll.. But dont u ppl think thats low?? Cos my coll (DJSCOE)is the 2nd best engg coll in mumbai after vjti.. I was expecting payouts of abt 4-5 lacs p.a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom