Does larger microsd card slows down access speed in mobiles?

Chetan1991

Youngling
Does using an 8gb microSDHC card slows down file access speed in comparison to using a 4gb one?
Im going to buy an android mob and wouldn't want to see videos stuttering, but 4 gb seems rather small. What would be better: a single 8gb card, or 2 4gb cards?

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Does using an 8gb microSDHC card slows down file access speed in comparison to using a 4gb one?
Im going to buy an android mob and wouldn't want to see videos stuttering, but 4 gb seems rather small. What would be better: a single 8gb card, or 2 4gb cards?

Go for an 8 GB card. I have a new Optimus One phone... modded. Have no pictures, videos or mp3s yet... and very few apps. But my 2 GB SD card (which comes with the phone) is 75% full already. A bunch of space is used by ext4 partition to install the mod and nandroid system recovery and backup.

Buy as large a card as you can afford. Because if you mod, you cannot just swipe in a new one if the old card is full. All your apps and core OS software is on the SD card.

Cheers!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
You didn't answered the first q.

doesn't matter till the card is of high class.

BTW, are you a girl?

no.

Go for an 8 GB card. I have a new Optimus One phone... modded. Have no pictures, videos or mp3s yet... and very few apps. But my 2 GB SD card (which comes with the phone) is 75% full already. A bunch of space is used by ext4 partition to install the mod and nandroid system recovery and backup.

1.5Gb filled already? ext4 = 512Mb (as advised). so whats with the 1Gb? custom recovery doesn't takes up so much space.

also the DEVs told not to convert ext3 to 4 if using a low class card. did you benchmarked it?

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
1.5Gb filled already? ext4 = 512Mb (as advised). so whats with the 1Gb? custom recovery doesn't takes up so much space.

also the DEVs told not to convert ext3 to 4 if using a low class card. did you benchmarked it?

I didn't benchmark my card. So, don't know about class. I just followed instructions to install custom recovery, which said convery ext3 to ext4. The partition is 512 MB,

I guess a bunch of space is taken by VOID modules. I have enabled all of them.

Cheers!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Any specific reason for this query ? For your information, there are no girls at TDF.:sad:

there is: me1.

I didn't benchmark my card. So, don't know about class. I just followed instructions to install custom recovery, which said convery ext3 to ext4. The partition is 512 MB,

I guess a bunch of space is taken by VOID modules. I have enabled all of them.

Cheers!

are you using the memory card given with the mobile? well good for me. will use the stock card.

OP
Chetan1991

Chetan1991

Youngling
I thought i would just swap them and use the one i needed, like cds :D

Hmm.. So i should buy an 8gb card of min. class 6, right?
And how to determine the class? Is the SD tools app accurate?

Could you please look at this:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/everythin...ireless-flexible-keyboard-android-mobile.html

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

Access speed depends on the proccy speed of mobile also...if the company say 16GB extendeble then they must have lab tested it with 16GB card....:cool:

access speed also depends on the "how old is the card"...coz of time degradation....:mrgreen:

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
I thought i would just swap them and use the one i needed, like cds :D

Hmm.. So i should buy an 8gb card of min. class 6, right?
And how to determine the class? Is the SD tools app accurate?

Could you please look at this:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/everythin...ireless-flexible-keyboard-android-mobile.html

Just buy an 8 GB card. I don't know how much effect higher class cards would have on access speeds. O1 is an entry level phone. There are inherent limitations here... A Class 10 card might perform only as fast as a Class 4... because of hardware limits in O1. (I don't know if it happens or not)

So, just buy a card... don't worry about class just yet... I used the stock 2 GB card that came with the device and it is good enough.

Cheers!

noja

Bang! Bang!
I'm going to buy 8gb class 2 for 500 rs tomorrow. rashi douchbags had blocked the supply to inflate the price tag. too bad their trick didn't work.

OP
Chetan1991

Chetan1991

Youngling
Aint class 2 too slow? Just 2 mbps. It might make videos stutter.

I dont think 10 mbps would be an unspported speed in o1. Its just 10mbps, internal bus is so much faster, so why wont the mob support such a small speed?

Top Bottom