Do you own a desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
not really mxm port upgrades are allowed as per warranty as well
the y5xx series by lenovo is a great example and so is alienware

Lenovo laptops don't have MXM ports. They are SLI upgradable. Main GPU is soldered.
MXM=GTX 760m+

Cilus

laborare est orare
Have you considered the fact that the most powerful Laptop GPU is equivalent to a mid range Desktop GPU. A GTX 780M cannot be compared with a desktop GTX 780 but maximum with a GTX 670? And cost, 880M upgrade in custom made laptop like Clevo, Cyberpower or Eurocom will cost you more than $500. In a matter of fact the most powerful laptop GPU of current time can't max out today's game at 1080P resolution. Now you are shouting like upgrade is possible but a $550 + upgrade is not viable solution in any time. Also MXM slots based Laptops are having very limited choice of GPU as most of the times Laptop manufacturers tailor made the GPU from the original specifications to accommodate heat and power consumption of that specific laptop.
So you can't just buy any 780M laptop GPU for your upgradable laptop, you have to look for the specific model which is supported by your laptop vendor and you might find that no 780M upgrade is actually available for your lappy.

Similarly, lets come to the processing power. Even the Intel 4th Generation Core i7 4900QM with a tray price of $570 is far less powerful than a $250 2nd Generation i7 2700K in 95% of cases. So, even though upgrade is possible, they are extremely costly in laptops (Most of the custom configurable Laptops start from $1000 +) and even after buying the most expensive upgrades, you can't match the performance of a upper mid range desktop configuration.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ By spending $250 for a GT 750M which is equivalent to a HD 7770 available at $100.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Have you considered the fact that the most powerful Laptop GPU is equivalent to a mid range Desktop GPU. A GTX 780M cannot be compared with a desktop GTX 780 but maximum with a GTX 670? And cost, 880M upgrade in custom made laptop like Clevo, Cyberpower or Eurocom will cost you more than $500. In a matter of fact the most powerful laptop GPU of current time can't max out today's game at 1080P resolution. Now you are shouting like upgrade is possible but a $550 + upgrade is not viable solution in any time. Also MXM slots based Laptops are having very limited choice of GPU as most of the times Laptop manufacturers tailor made the GPU from the original specifications to accommodate heat and power consumption of that specific laptop.
So you can't just buy any 780M laptop GPU for your upgradable laptop, you have to look for the specific model which is supported by your laptop vendor and you might find that no 780M upgrade is actually available for your lappy.

Similarly, lets come to the processing power. Even the Intel 4th Generation Core i7 4900QM with a tray price of $570 is far less powerful than a $250 2nd Generation i7 2700K in 95% of cases. So, even though upgrade is possible, they are extremely costly in laptops (Most of the custom configurable Laptops start from $1000 +) and even after buying the most expensive upgrades, you can't match the performance of a upper mid range desktop configuration.

but we come down to portability and ease as well plus $800 desktops configs are equivalent to $1000 laptops usually though by the time the time arises to upgrade, u might as well get a new system be it a laptop or desktop
frankenbuilds are cheaper i know but less reliable as each part has aged differently
id rather spend on a high end laptop and buy new systems every 2-3 years than upgrade my desktop to a better but outdated cpu (or mobo)

- - - Updated - - -

^^ By spending $250 for a GT 750M which is equivalent to a HD 7770 available at $100.

again portability and space plus that wow factor when u enter college with that thing
with a decent desktop u may have the best parts etc but ull not be able to have epic lan parties with friends etc
price is a different thing, i only said certain laptops can be upgraded,i know people who are willing to spend extra to upgrade their laptop ( not me , i have both a great laptop and a great desktop which i like to change every few years :) )

though yeah, laptop gpu upgrades arent for everyone(price wise etc)

- - - Updated - - -

my point wasnt about price, it was the possibility , dont misunderstand :)

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
Why can't I have a LAN party with a desktop?
And dude I have a HP and am sure as hell it is not upgradable.
And yeah apart from price power, cooling etc comes in laptop upgrades which is far more easier in a PC. And in Indian scenario I think one should give up on laptop upgrading due to availability

Sarath

iDota
The first thing that you think of after getting a laptop is "I wish I had bought a desktop instead"
Doesn't apply to those who use a laptop for just music/movies/web

Cilus

laborare est orare
Buddy, we are buying it for gaming, not for getting wow factor in college.

but we come down to portability and ease as well plus $800 desktops configs are equivalent to $1000 laptops usually though by the time the time arises to upgrade, u might as well get a new system be it a laptop or desktop
frankenbuilds are cheaper i know but less reliable as each part has aged differently
id rather spend on a high end laptop and buy new systems every 2-3 years than upgrade my desktop to a better but outdated cpu (or mobo)

Really? An outdated i7 2700K still has more horse power than a latest 4th gen extreme high end i7 4900MQ laptop GPU. So instead of spending $1400 in every two years,spend $400 on average to get a new GPU in every two year....does it sounds too dumb to you? And you are just saying upgrade is possible, why are you not considering the cost involving to update it? Spending $1400 in every two year to get a new laptop which still lags on performance when compared to a 2 years old Desktop configuration .... idon't think is a good idea.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Why can't I have a LAN party with a desktop?
And dude I have a HP and am sure as hell it is not upgradable.
And yeah apart from price power, cooling etc comes in laptop upgrades which is far more easier in a PC. And in Indian scenario I think one should give up on laptop upgrading due to availability

facepalm , i never said u could upgrade ur HP or something
i said with the right config, u can upgrade a laptop, i said its possible, i never said its cheap or something
as for cooling, heating is present but a cooling pad is great to tackle heating
as for lan parties, imagine ur friend has a lan party at his place or something and u can only walk or take a rickshaw to get there imagine the time and effort including stares u get when u carry a desktop,monitor,keyboard,mouse etc
they will assume u are carrying it to install it in someones house or sell it
ill take today for an example-
my friend actually had a lan party at his place and we all had awesome laptops(lenovo y510p, alienware m14x,inspiron turbo,msi and a z500) except for two who had great desktops (like 90k rigs i guess, i7 etc etc) but one couldnt come as he didnt have a system to play on (or bring) and the other brought his netbook so we all played a few rounds of CS so all could play and later we took turns to share our laptops with him

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
That's my point. We can't upgrade laptops like HP. Buying a 1000 dollar laptop and spending another 500 to upgrade just don't make sense when in 3/4 of that price you can get a more powerful desktop. Laptops good for office work but for gaming meh! I prefer desktop

Nerevarine

Incarnate
What other laptop besides alienware and lenovo AVAILABLE in india are upgradable (GPU wise)
Clevo and Sager have some models but none of them are available in ind

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

BS.......whole post except the comparisons is a crappy collection of wrong info.
GTX 880m is enough for any game and can max out all current games and possibly future games of 2014. I am guessing it will be reduced to very high(from ultra) by Witcher 3 which will probably have Ubersampling.

Laptop manufacturers don't manufacture MXM cards, they are directly manufactured by Nvidia and AMD. So ANY MXM 3.0 card extracted from ANY laptop will work in ANY laptop of ANY manufacturer.

PS:In Eurocom's top model(which is a 17" behemoth), you can fit it core i7 4770K. That's a freakin desktop CPU.
It also has GTX 880m SLI which is equivalent in performance to a GTX TITAN.

- - - Updated - - -

What other laptop besides alienware and lenovo AVAILABLE in india are upgradable (GPU wise)
Clevo and Sager have some models but none of them are available in ind

Clevo laptops are available in India here:
www.azom.co.in

All workstations notebooks are upgradable such as Dell Precision, HP ZBOOK 15/17.
Soon to be released MSI are upgradable.

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Btw, a 750M is a class 2 rated video card according to Notebookcheck.. its waay below HD 7770
650M SLI is one step below a normal HD 7770..
Considering the price, a desktop GPU trumps them in price/performance ratio

Similarly, the strongest desktop i3 4340 has a passmark score of 5092, much ahead of most laptop M series 4th gen i5s

Not to mention, combined cost will be less than 3/4 the cost of laptop parts

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I am not saying that desktops are bad, they just impose too many restrictions on you. If you feel like playing in another room, you can't. If you feel like gaming on the move, you can't. Desktop gamers have to wait the entire day and dream about gaming on their uber systems after reaching home but while laptop gamers can take out their weapons anytime for a quick kill or two.

Desktops will always be infinitely more upgradable and powerful(in the same budget) than laptops but laptops are next gen thingies and I think the gap between laptop and desktop components in terms of performance is decreasing and soon laptops will take over. :grin:

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, a 750M is a class 2 rated video card according to Notebookcheck.. its waay below HD 7770

Similarly, the strongest desktop i3 4340 has a passmark score of 5092, much ahead of most laptop M series 4th gen i5s

GT 750m is not considered a gaming card. It's only due to low standards of laptop components in India that we consider it to be the "best". In US nothing lower than GTX 760m is considered a gaming card.

- - - Updated - - -

GTX 760m=low-mid end gaming card in USA.

- - - Updated - - -

Desktops will always pawn laptops in price/performance ratio. -.-

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

did u know specs on paper and real world performance has a huge difference
its like saying trucks have bigger engine , so they are faster than a sports car

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
lol i really did facepalm several time after reading op's first post.I was like are you fkin kiddin me bro??

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Some buy bikes. Others build their own bikes, mod it and give them more power or customize them to suit their taste in style or needs.

Ones who prefer desktops over laptop even for regular work, are of the later category. EOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom