Do ps2 to usb converters really work as expected?

quicky008

Technomancer
I am planning to buy an used tvs gold keyboard from a seller-however the keyboard only has a ps2 interface but the seller claims that it be connected to a usb port easily using a ps2 to usb adapter.I tried searching for such converters online but the ones that are available at sites like amazon don't really have many favourable reviews,with some people saying that they are absolutely worthless and may cause random restarts or other system instability issues.

As i've never used these adapters before i dont really know how reliable they really are and whether they are good for long term usage with ps2 based peripherals or not.Has anyone here ever used these sort of converters for connecting ps2 devices?Do they really work as expected and are there any potential issues that one might face while using such a converter?Please advice.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
No personal experience but I have seen some old systems running P/S 2-USB adapters for keyboard & mouse.As far as I know most mobos have at least 1 P/S-2 port.I also think that there is some chance that using such adapters may cause some issues on Win 10 systems.Still if a P/S-2 port is present then why buy such an adapter.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
although my system may have a ps2 port i am still rather wary of using a ps2 connector as the pins in them have an inherent tendency of getting bent or damaged if the user mistakenly applies a bit of force while insertion or removal.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I am planning to buy an used tvs gold keyboard from a seller-however the keyboard only has a ps2 interface but the seller claims that it be connected to a usb port easily using a ps2 to usb adapter.I tried searching for such converters online but the ones that are available at sites like amazon don't really have many favourable reviews,with some people saying that they are absolutely worthless and may cause random restarts or other system instability issues.

As i've never used these adapters before i dont really know how reliable they really are and whether they are good for long term usage with ps2 based peripherals or not.Has anyone here ever used these sort of converters for connecting ps2 devices?Do they really work as expected and are there any potential issues that one might face while using such a converter?Please advice.
The pros and cons of PS/2 to USB adapters and converters
PS2 Female to USB Male Plug Convertor - Green

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
P/S-2 devices are not supposed to be connected/disconnected from the system frequently.In fact once you disconnect a P/S-2 keyboard/mouse & reconnect it,it will not work until next restart/reboot of system.Only time one should disconnect a P/S-2 device is when system is to be moved.

P/S-2 port pins are configured in a specific pattern & you just have to match the pattern with the keyboard/mouse cable pin pattern.They are not as delicate as you think.You will know if the pattern is matching by initially using a little force & once you confirm pins are matching then you can apply a bit more force to insert the cable pin into port.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
i use one since long and have taken out and reinserted it multiple times. never faced any pin problems till now. in my old office, once someone applied pressure and bent few pins. i used a screwdriver to straighten them, reinserted and it worked.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
1. Try to get USB TVS keyboard.
2. If no chance, use the adaptor. There should not be any problem. I've used once (like 7 years back lol) and it always worked without any problems.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
ok thanks for your feedback vineet,i wanted to buy an usb keyboard but the vendor from whom i'm supposed to purchase it only has ps2 keyboards in stock.So i'm still in a dilemma as to what i should do about it,but if it does work with adapters without any issues(like you've suggested)then i might as well buy it.

Top Bottom