Dilemma between 2 variants of Asus vivobook s15

xerxes3117

Broken In
My usage:
- Web development
- Web designing (adobe photoshop, illustrator etc)
- Light gaming (not a priority)

I'm confused between the below 2 laptops (both different price variants of same model):

BQ147T
Specs and other info:
Price: 79k INR (~1140 USD)
Storage: 1TB HDD + 256gb SSD
Processor: i7-8550u
RAM: 16gb
GPU: 2gb Nvidia MX-150

BQ256T
Specs and other info:
Price: 62k INR (~890 USD)
Processor: i5-8250u
RAM: 8gb

Other specs (display, weight) are completely similar in the 2 laptops. The difference between the 2 laptops is the processor (i5 vs i7) and ram memory (8 vs 16gb).
Based on my usage, would it be worth it to spend 18k INR (~250 USD) more for the first one?
In my opinion the ram and processor performance do matter for web designing however i'm not sure how much better is that i7-8550u processor in comparison to i5-8250u. What do you think?

My usage:
- Web development
- Web designing (adobe photoshop, illustrator etc)
- Light gaming (not a priority)

I'm confused between the below 2 laptops (both different price variants of same model):

BQ147T
Specs and other info:
Price: 79k INR (~1140 USD)
Processor: i7-8550u
RAM: 16gb

BQ256T
Specs and other info:
Price: 62k INR (~890 USD)
Processor: i5-8250u
RAM: 8gb

Other specs (display, weight) are completely similar in the 2 laptops. The difference between the 2 laptops is the processor (i5 vs i7) and ram memory (8 vs 16gb).
Based on my usage, would it be worth it to spend 18k INR (~250 USD) more for the first one?
In my opinion the ram and processor performance do matter for web designing however i'm not sure how much better is that i7-8550u processor in comparison to i5-8250u. What do you think?
For your use case. The 62k Variant with 8GB RAM and i5 8250u is more VFM. Photoshop and illustrator do require quite a bit of CPU power and memory, but I think the i5 should handle that just fine with the 8GB of memory. You could get another 8GB stick in the coming months (RAM prices are expected to crash) and be good.
The raw benchmarks are in favour of the i7 but the i5 isn't way behind either.
I'd still wait for other members to comment before confirming the purchase.
A suggestion is to check out your local stores as they might offer you a deal which is better than the one online.

OP
X

xerxes3117

Broken In
For your use case. The 62k Variant with 8GB RAM and i5 8250u is more VFM. Photoshop and illustrator do require quite a bit of CPU power and memory, but I think the i5 should handle that just fine with the 8GB of memory. You could get another 8GB stick in the coming months (RAM prices are expected to crash) and be good.
The raw benchmarks are in favour of the i7 but the i5 isn't way behind either.
I'd still wait for other members to comment before confirming the purchase.
A suggestion is to check out your local stores as they might offer you a deal which is better than the one online.
Thanks

The i7 8550U is just a higher clocked i5 8250U with maybe some more cache. So the difference isn't huge. The i5 model is definitely more VFM. Add another 8/16GB RAM stick if required.

If you want better performance but are willing to sacrifice on weight & size, look at gaming laptops.

For 80k this laptop with i7 8750H provides a big performance jump. You would have to invest in SSD as well.:
MSI GL Core i7 8th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics) GL63 8RC-063IN Gaming Laptop Rs.79990 Price in India - Buy MSI GL Core i7 8th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics) GL63 8RC-063IN Gaming Laptop Black Online - MSI : Flipkart.com

Better wait for sales & check deals on flipkart during their Gaming Fridays. You can sometimes find gaming laptops with i7 8750H & GTX 1050Ti for 75k.

This is another great choice, better actually:
*www.amazon.in/FX504GE-EN224T-15-6-...=UTF8&qid=1535278387&sr=1-4&keywords=asus+tuf

OP
X

xerxes3117

Broken In
The i7 8550U is just a higher clocked i5 8250U with maybe some more cache. So the difference isn't huge. The i5 model is definitely more VFM. Add another 8/16GB RAM stick if required.

If you want better performance but are willing to sacrifice on weight & size, look at gaming laptops.

For 80k this laptop with i7 8750H provides a big performance jump. You would have to invest in SSD as well.:
MSI GL Core i7 8th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics) GL63 8RC-063IN Gaming Laptop Rs.79990 Price in India - Buy MSI GL Core i7 8th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics) GL63 8RC-063IN Gaming Laptop Black Online - MSI : Flipkart.com

Better wait for sales & check deals on flipkart during their Gaming Fridays. You can sometimes find gaming laptops with i7 8750H & GTX 1050Ti for 75k.

This is another great choice, better actually:
*www.amazon.in/FX504GE-EN224T-15-6-...=UTF8&qid=1535278387&sr=1-4&keywords=asus+tuf
Thanks for all the great suggestions. However, weight is actually an important factor for me as i want the laptop to be portable. The only other laptop i could find with such specs and price was
xiaomi mi notebook pro
Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro Fingerprint Recognition - $849.99 Free Shipping|GearBest.com

Maybe i'm going slightly off topic here, but which one would you suggest among these 2 (xiaomi notebook vs asus s15)?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^I can tell you this,don't take chance with your money on brands like xiomi when considering laptops.Xiomi mobiles may be VFM but a laptop is an entirely different product.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. However, weight is actually an important factor for me as i want the laptop to be portable. The only other laptop i could find with such specs and price was
xiaomi mi notebook pro
Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro Fingerprint Recognition - $849.99 Free Shipping|GearBest.com

Maybe i'm going slightly off topic here, but which one would you suggest among these 2 (xiaomi notebook vs asus s15)?
Simple, Asus one anyday because Xiaomi has zero after sales for laptops in India, even if it did, it would be shit. Also, it's laptops won't be that reliable in long term as they are new to laptops & laptops run much hotter than smartphones, so higher chances of component failure in future. Companies like Asus, Acer, Dell have established themselves & knows how to build laptops. Samsung tried entering laptop segment like 5-6 years ago but their laptops ran hot, even the non gaming ones.

Top Bottom