Diff. Betwn WD Caviar Black, WD Scorpio Black and WD VelociRaptor.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Plz explain me the difference between WD VelociRaptor, WD Caviar Black and WD Scorpio Black. All these are SATA-3 compatible i.e have 6Gbps connectivity. Then whats the real difference. Why are the VelociRaptors priced higher than the Blacks??

Plz explain.
I couldnt understand even after googling.

khmadhu

change is constant!!
WD VelociRaptor's are fast compare to wd black editions, because it got fast access time,and also these drives are quiet(makes less noise).

WD Black editions are power hungry drives!. also they are vibrant (not quiet).and used in desktop

WD scorpio black uses less power than normal black editions, and optimizes performance,that's why these are used in notebooks.

OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
Means Scorpio is used in mobile platforms. Fine
But just Bcoz VRs are quiet they are priced high. I think there might be something else too.

khmadhu

change is constant!!
Means Scorpio is used in mobile platforms. Fine
But just Bcoz VRs are quiet they are priced high. I think there might be something else too.

WD VelociRaptor's got 10,000 RPM speed (faster access time). where as other's have 7200 rpm

currently WD VelociRaptor drives are availiable in 600GB , and got 5 years warranty..

OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
May be the access time is fast in VRs, but is there any difference in transfer rates as compared to WDC Black SATA3

khmadhu

change is constant!!
May be the access time is fast in VRs, but is there any difference in transfer rates as compared to WDC Black SATA3

Although there is no much difference in data transfer, but there will be a noticeable difference when u run programs or games especially.

An ex:
If you transfer a single 4.5GB file. you don't feel any difference on both drives. but on the same system config if you transfer a 4.5GB folder which has around 10,000 (or more) files . then you can see the VelociRaptor copies faster compared to other drives, thats becoz it has 10,000 rpm, this decreases seek time and increases the file access faster and it can get as fast as to the buffer,and then to the destination.

Note: these high RPM drives are usually used by heavy Gamers who don't like wasting a second!.

IMO its not safe to keep imp data on this drives

I hope u got it this time...

Top Bottom