Diff between PCI-Express & PCI-Express 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

sou2008

Broken In
ya I know that PCI-Express 2.0 is faster than PCI-Express
but can we fit an PCI-Express 2.0 compatible Graphics card in PCI-Express slot
will it work properly or it will damage the card???

Because now PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics cards are coming in market and I have motherboard which has sinlge PCI-Express slot so will the new graphics cards work on my system....:confused:

amitash

Intel OCer
Yes it will work and you will barely see a difference between pcie 1 and 2....for my card which is pcie 2 i see a max of 10 fps difference

tkin

Back to school!!
Unless you own a GTX260 or higher/HD4870 or higher you won't see a difference, only high end cards can max out PCI-E 1.0 bandwidth(eg-GTX280).

chat2arindam

Right off the assembly line
Dear friends,
I have intel original 915 gav motherboard, p4 3.0 ghz, 1 gb ddr zion ram , 320 gb hdd,
iball 400 w smps,etc.
Recently I purchased a XFX 9500 GT graphics card of 1 GB, its a pci express 2.0 card.
whenever i am connecting the card to my system, no display is coming. but the onboard graphics is working properly. The new Graphics card is working fine on my office machine quad core, dq35 motherboard,500 w smps .
I am unable to understand whats the problem. should i upgrade the motherboard or the smps only.

Please help quickly.

thanks.

tkin

Back to school!!
Dear friends,
I have intel original 915 gav motherboard, p4 3.0 ghz, 1 gb ddr zion ram , 320 gb hdd,
iball 400 w smps,etc.
Recently I purchased a XFX 9500 GT graphics card of 1 GB, its a pci express 2.0 card.
whenever i am connecting the card to my system, no display is coming. but the onboard graphics is working properly. The new Graphics card is working fine on my office machine quad core, dq35 motherboard,500 w smps .
I am unable to understand whats the problem. should i upgrade the motherboard or the smps only.

Please help quickly.

thanks.
Go to the bios and try to find the option for display adapter, switch it to automatic or PCI Express(if automatic doesn't work) and restart your machine, should do the job. If it still doesn't work may be there's not enough power to run the card.

chat2arindam

Dear Tkin,
I have done all those things. My another nvidia 6200 tc card is working fine as I am connecting it to the system. But as soon as I am connecting the 9500 gt , the display is not coming, but the fan on the graphics card is rotating. The card is also becoming slight hotter like normal. I am suspecting a Smps problem. Can u please tell me which SMPS will work with it. I don't have a very huge budget. around 1500/- . Where in kolkata can i find that smps.

Thanks and regards.
ARINDAM

tkin

Back to school!!
Dear Tkin,
I have done all those things. My another nvidia 6200 tc card is working fine as I am connecting it to the system. But as soon as I am connecting the 9500 gt , the display is not coming, but the fan on the graphics card is rotating. The card is also becoming slight hotter like normal. I am suspecting a Smps problem. Can u please tell me which SMPS will work with it. I don't have a very huge budget. around 1500/- . Where in kolkata can i find that smps.

Thanks and regards.
ARINDAM
Your budget is a bit low, try getting Cooler Master Extreme Power 500w for 2.5k, its available in most Chandni Chowk shops, try looking here;

M. D. Computers
23, Chitta Ranjan Avenue
Chandni Chowk

If you really have low budget try looking for Zebronics 500w SMPS for about 1.5-2k, it available in most Chandni Shops, the one mentioned is a good place to look for them.

Also you can go here;

Vedant Infosys
26, GC Avenue
Kol-700 013
Phone-2212-9832/8793, 2253-7597.

Just scout around Chandni, these are common SMPS and most shops keep them.

chat2arindam

Your budget is a bit low, try getting Cooler Master Extreme Power 500w for 2.5k, its available in most Chandni Chowk shops, try looking here;

M. D. Computers
23, Chitta Ranjan Avenue
Chandni Chowk

If you really have low budget try looking for Zebronics 500w SMPS for about 1.5-2k, it available in most Chandni Shops, the one mentioned is a good place to look for them.

Also you can go here;

Vedant Infosys
26, GC Avenue
Kol-700 013
Phone-2212-9832/8793, 2253-7597.

Just scout around Chandni, these are common SMPS and most shops keep them.

Thanks tkin,
But r u sure that the 400 w smps from iball is insufficient to run my hardware. the config has been already posted above. if smps is the real culprit then i would go in for the coolermaster 500 w. is 9500gt pci express 2.0 fully compatible with 915 gav. even xfx force support team has told that 9500 gt is compatible with pci express 1 slot.

Please help.

Difference between them is simple and straightforward.

PCI Express 2.0 has DOUBLE the bandwidth of PCI Express 1.0.

Meaning, a PCI Express 2.0 8x slot has the speed of a PCI Express 1.0 16x slot.

But since mordern cards are much much more powerful than ever before, it now becomes quintessential to have PCI Express 2.0 16x slot if you want to use cards like HD4870 1GB, GTX 285, etc and utilise their FULL power.

All PCI Express 2.0 cards work in PCI Express 1.0 slots and vice versa.

But when you make a fresh purchase, always prefer PCI Express 2.0 (for both cards and motherboards).

TheLetterD

Will Power
any one having?psu 400w mercury+any graphic card

Hi people,
i have a mercury 400w psu
a E7200 C2D
asus p5n mx
will i be able to run a 9500gt zotac/9600gso zotac grafic card?
pls tell if u also have same psu

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
You might be able to run 9500GT

but not 9600GSO/Gt as it requiers a separate 6 pin power connector. Though you will get the necessary convertor connector with card but it's recomended to get a PSU like CM460W extreme Power atlest to use with cards like 9600GSO/Gt or higher.

tkin

Back to school!!
Thanks tkin,
But r u sure that the 400 w smps from iball is insufficient to run my hardware. the config has been already posted above. if smps is the real culprit then i would go in for the coolermaster 500 w. is 9500gt pci express 2.0 fully compatible with 915 gav. even xfx force support team has told that 9500 gt is compatible with pci express 1 slot.

Please help.
It will work unless you have some defects with your mobo(like a defective PCI-e slot), no matter how much V-RAM a 9500GT can never use the PCI-e 1.0 bandwidth completetly.

TheLetterD

Will Power
You might be able to run 9500GT

but not 9600GSO/Gt as it requiers a separate 6 pin power connector. Though you will get the necessary convertor connector with card but it's recomended to get a PSU like CM460W extreme Power atlest to use with cards like 9600GSO/Gt or higher.
what abt a ati 4670

dips_view

Broken In
I think it is not a power problem.please check ur MB , GPU documentation.i hv 9500 gt on 400w smps and its works fine.consume 45w/25w peak/idle state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom