Did I blow my hard disk?

Confused_user

Journeyman
So I read about the hard drive speed limiting jumpers and immediately removed it from my 4 year old segate (or whatever) 7200.11 drive, hoping it'll be able to run @ 3gbps. But since then, my of doesn't boot. The fans are on, the drive is spinning, but there's no display, even when I put the jumper back in. I've also tried running with the drive unplugged but the of won't post.
Any suggestions? also, the pc was not used in the past 3 months.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ op - just reset cmos settings and remount the ram modules/vga card ig you have any.

OP
C

Confused_user

Journeyman
I didn't put the jumper back in at first. But when it couldn't post, I put it on the same pins I removed it from.
Currently it's not in the drive. Should I put it back in?

I've tried clearing CMOS( both jumper and battery) and remounting ram, but no effect. Will try both at once and will try a vga card.

frankeric

Journeyman
So I read about the hard drive speed limiting jumpers and immediately removed it from my 4 year old segate (or whatever) 7200.11 drive, hoping it'll be able to run @ 3gbps. But since then, my of doesn't boot. The fans are on, the drive is spinning, but there's no display, even when I put the jumper back in. I've also tried running with the drive unplugged but the of won't post.
Any suggestions? also, the pc was not used in the past 3 months.

Hi while you were playing with your hard drive i think you disturbed your ram disk unplug them and plug it again.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
^ quite possible. @ OP, you might have loosened your ram sticks, which won't let the system boot at all.
As far as the HDD is concerned, the jumper was used on a few early mobos, which didn't support SATA 3.0GBPS. Since most of our newer HDD's were SATA 3.0 GBPS enabled, the jumper was used to limit the HDD operation to SATA 1.5 GBPS. AFAIK, even if you unplugged the HDD, the system will still boot (Atleast, get past the POST).

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
offtopic: the title is very missleading :oops: read it again :lol:

on topic: I had face this issue for a number of months. i.e., Fan spinning etc.. but not display. my PC would only boot then the cabinet side panel was open .. it turned out that the CMOS clear Jumper was the culprit. if there was no jumper then the motherboard goes into recovery mode.take a look at you motherboard manual and correctly palace the jumper on your "MOTHERBOARD".

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
try with some other ram module or the test the ram module(s) on some other pc.

frankeric

Journeyman
offtopic: the title is very missleading :oops: read it again :lol:

on topic: I had face this issue for a number of months. i.e., Fan spinning etc.. but not display. my PC would only boot then the cabinet side panel was open .. it turned out that the CMOS clear Jumper was the culprit. if there was no jumper then the motherboard goes into recovery mode.take a look at you motherboard manual and correctly palace the jumper on your "MOTHERBOARD".

Hi brother no display is very often error of ram sticks if your hard was not working than you pc atleast show something on the screen.

Top Bottom