desktop vs laptop :( totally confused help me

ankush28

Bazinga
I am engineering student i want to buy my first computer and i am confused between HP g6-2202ax(costs 27k Flipkart.com: Online Store ) laptop and an assembled pc ( intel 3rd gen i3-3210
Gigabyte GA-B75M
Corsair 4GB value RAM
Dell IN1930
Zebronics bijli cabinet
Corsair get chaep 400watt
iball KB/M
WD Caviar Blue 500gb costs 25k)
if i go for laptop I'll get mobility genuine win8, nice graphics and if I go for pc I'll get better processor cheap price. help me what to do....
I need to run autocad, catia, some FPS games.

$hadow

Geek in making
It depend where exactly you want to use it. If at home go for a desktop coz it offers more power at an affordable price and if in college than go for a laptop.
Questionnaire for laptop/notebook purchase
If you are going for a laptop fill this.

It's a complete personal choice. Portability vs upgradability (and many more things). i'm too an engineering student and I myself purchased a desktop instead of a laptop when I took admission in college. Now, after 2 years, I (very) slightly feel the NEED of a laptop. For small tasks such as displaying a presentation etc, you can use friend's laptop. So, first decide how much does portability matters to you. I vote for desktop :p

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
my vote goes for sektop as i purchased desktop over latop (lol with my laptop budget) will purchase laptop next year as laptops have use in final year for cse persons

pratyush997

Inactive
My Vote goes to PC as I bought a Laptop while I got to get an Assembled PC
TBH Gaming on Lappy isn't as awesome as in case of PC :(

you will need a very good graphics card and a good RAM as you want to use simulation softwares like AUTOCAD, etc. I would suggest you go for a laptop if you have enough budget. My friend, being an engineering student, recently purchased the HP Pavilion M4-1012TX 14" Notebook and it works well for his purposes.

sksundram

In the zone
you didn't specify your subject BRANCH...anyways...for a larger interest...go for laptop..see! the portability matters a lot...learning any new subject from an external institution or presenting a code demo to your batch mates/seniors/professors need something more portable as a laptop...it doesn't matter if you are a cs student or a civil or mech (which i presume you are)...you will always need a laptop....mind you this is only applicable for serious learners (not for all those college kids I see who, though enrolled in engg courses, follow ONLY the routine medieval old-BS-crappy syllabus without thinking that it won't even help them with 10% REAL knowledge in industry)...since this is your first computer and you are in college...just buy a good laptop which can efficiently handle the applications (CAD,PS..) that you will use during the course of your college time...and depending on your friend every time a NEED arises is not so practical....i tell you this because this is what i experienced during my college time..

Last edited:

$hadow

Geek in making
How come this thread become active after such a long time. Even Ankush would have forgotten about it.

Top Bottom